Art for Era of Mystery

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Aura

Re: Art for Era of Mystery

Post by Aura »

I think the smaller ones look better personally. Plus, if all the sprites in the era have that style, it won't clash with mainline shadows. I may extend the bull rider unit shadows though as I see your point there.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

They're pretty close to mainline shadows, I think they're fine as is.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

There's really no point in worrying about clashing with mainline shadows. :D
If your sure that you don't want to make them bigger then I'd at suggest try making them a different shape. Right now they look stretched between the legs like when you grab a piece of dough and pull it out on ether side. Hence, making them look thin. Thats the impression that I'm getting, dunno about others though. :)

Edit: Just from a quick look at the units reference, the shadows are more like blobs set under the character, which I think is more realistic, but its your choice.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Aura

Post by Aura »

For now they will stay like that, although in the future I may change them. Next to do is the Hoplite and the Kiari Archer's L2.

Anyone have ideas about what monstrous support the Kalibaar should have ? I was thinking maybe minotaurs or centaurs but really I'm looking for something more original. They will have a phoenix though.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Added the Kiari Hoplite.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

These aren't bad at all for starting frames for a faction. I really like your Skirmisher line.

One thing that sticks out to me is that the head and torso of the Myor Champion are kind of squished together.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Yeah, I noticed that too, he's due for a fix. New unit, the Kiari Stormbrewer (a lightning mage line). She was a simple recolor and edit mostly, but her upgrades will look more impressive. Then only the cavalry unit and all the first four L1 units ready for coding the era will be ready.

In the end most units will have 2-3 L2 upgrades, and 1-2 of those will have a L3 upgrade.

Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i think the riders shoud all use saddles.

like the knight or whatever that is, perhaps its just a blanket, but they shoudl have a saddle or a blanket, it simply doesnt look good when they sit on a bare "whatever"-back
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Couple of things:
The hoplite's right arm needs work. it does a weird curve right now.
The archers bow has no trace of shadows or highlights, and you can actually fit them in.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Aura

Post by Aura »

The scout will probably stay bareback but I can add saddles to the rest. The bow has shading but the colors may not be different enough from each other. I'll edit the arm.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Did you mean our right or her right ? Edited the bow, saddles for the spellsword line to come. Done the L2 Kiaris mage unit.

SFault

Post by SFault »

Perhaps the bulls (=rides) on level 2 could have more upgrade on them. Longer horns, thicker fur or something like that...

Otherwise looking very nice.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

The bow looks better, good job.

Aura

Post by Aura »

First pass at the Hoplite upgrade. I think she's a little tall in the stomach.

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Yes she is :D. Also I think you should make the thunderbringer's lightning a little more dramatic.