Art for Era of Mystery

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Aura

Art for Era of Mystery

Post by Aura »

Here is the start for the first faction I have been working on for my new era, the Myorians. They live in nomadic groups on the plains and train great bulls to ride. The only non-mounted warriors are skirmishers that throw javelins at the enemy and shamans that can heal.

Other factions include the Kiaris, an all-female Amazon-esque civilisation with Greek influences and the Kalibaar, an elf barbarian faction that uses fire magic.

Got the bull's base from rhying's moose and the riders from footpads. I#m also looking for someone to work with me coding an era from some of my factions. PM me if interested.
Last edited by Aura on February 13th, 2010, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Myorian Faction

Post by thespaceinvader »

One suggestion: vary something other than just the weapons - changing the poses of the riders will make the differences between them a lot easier to read.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Fog

Post by Fog »

They probably would use their free hand to hold the horn of the bull, it looks akward sticking out like that. Mm, execpt for the spellcaster line.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Fog wrote:They probably would use their free hand to hold the horn of the bull, it looks akward sticking out like that. Mm, execpt for the spellcaster line.
Or maybe grip the hair(...main?) of the bull
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Aura

Post by Aura »

I reposed the the scout line (swapped the weapon's hand, and made the other hand look like it was holding the mane). Does it look better ?

I also made a new Lv 1 unit, the Myorian Knight (I may give the bull drapes/more armour, and probably an axe for his weapon).

Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

The Myorian Knight has his arms in weird position. It almost looks like he's shrugging.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Updated Knight (fixed the arm and gave him an edited axe from one of rhying's dwarves).

A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

The knight has a very long torso and a small head. Fixing the latter can fix the former. I also think that adding horns to a moose doesn't necessarily make it an ox--it's pretty close, but shortening the beast's neck might help. Finally, while it's pretty cool that the spellblade has such absolute confidence and skill, it looks a little weird to blindfold a mount, no matter who's on it.

Pretty solid frankensteining though, especially the spellblade.
Aura

Post by Aura »

The spellblade's mount is supposed to be in touch with the spirit world and can see that way (I tried to add some bigger runes to the mount but they looked awful) which is why it is blindfolded. Maybe I'll recolor it to white with a grey mane and say in the background that albino mounts have spiritual powers and are ridden by the mystics. I will fix the knight though (his torso and parts of the rest of him were scratch so that's why they look somewhat off). Personally I'm happy with the ox-moose but if others think it's off as well I'll change it.

Here's a WIP for the knight's upgrade (gonna make the mount a little taller and make the rider look stronger, and fix the cloth shading).

Aura

Post by Aura »

Quick update, the skirmisher. A pretty simple edit. Basically final although if anyone notices big flaws please point them out (I still have to fix the eyes, and he is possibly a little tall).

The planned units so far (* is done):

Skirmisher* ---> Hunter
---> Elite Skirmisher

Spellsword* ---> Spellblade* ---> Mystic Knight
---> Magetouched

Knight* ---> Champion ---> Warlord
---> Heavy Knight
---> Totem Knight ---> Bullspirit Knight

Scout* ---> Outrider*
---> Forest-rider ---> Ranger
Last edited by Aura on February 13th, 2010, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I think you should dim his right shoulder down a little. In fact now that I think of it, the whole shirt looks pillowed. His straps don't have any highlights while around it all these highlighter 'lumps' are popping up.
Apart from that, good work Aura, these are turning out well! :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Fog

Post by Fog »

I made the sprite transparent and changed the dimensions.
Attachments
myorspellsword.png
myorspellsword.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Hrmm... Uh... The foot-pad edits are meant to be female right?
If not you may want to widen the stomach area just a bit.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Fixed the skirmisher. Now to finish the champion.

EDIT: Champion done. He got a new axe, shield and shoulderpads, a helm, and some gold inlay on his new thicker armour.

And here's the new civ sheet.

Aura

Re: Art for Era of Mystery

Post by Aura »

And the first Kiaris unit completed, the Kiari Archer. I edited her from an old sprite I found in the library. Her hair color might change.