Free sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
catwhowalksbyhimself

Re: Free sprites

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

A good example of a such a derived setting would be Starcraft, which was itself based on WH40K. It's different enough to be original, yet you can still tell what the source was, if it's pointed out to you. The Terran soldiers are pretty much space marines, Zerg are similar to Tyanids and the Protoss are very close to the Eldar in concept if not in actual appearance.

So if you want to have a side that makes heavy use of battle armor, a side based on more traditional troops, a space version of orcs or elves, sci fi version of undead, and so forth, you can as long as it's not a straight copy of WH40K and remains sufficiently different to have it's own setting and personality.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:A good example of a such a derived setting would be Starcraft, which was itself based on WH40K. It's different enough to be original, yet you can still tell what the source was, if it's pointed out to you. The Terran soldiers are pretty much space marines, Zerg are similar to Tyanids and the Protoss are very close to the Eldar in concept if not in actual appearance.

So if you want to have a side that makes heavy use of battle armor, a side based on more traditional troops, a space version of orcs or elves, sci fi version of undead, and so forth, you can as long as it's not a straight copy of WH40K and remains sufficiently different to have it's own setting and personality.
:hmm: And I thought Starcraft was based on the "Aliens" movie franchise. At least the Terrans and maybe inspiration for the Zerg. They even use quotes from the movie (the Terran dropships are the most blatant).
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

They also use quotes from Star Trek, and from quite a few other sci fi sources, so that means little.

Think of it this way

Terran and Space Marines--Future humans who fight in powerful battle armor (basically with the same design used for both versions) and use tanks and other advanced version of modern warfare weapons.

Zerg and Tyranids--insect like xenoforms that assimilate other races and their best qualities into themselves, creating new breeds of themselves and possessing a hive mind managed by general like sapient creatures that lead whole swarms.

Protoss and Eldar--ancient beings that have advanced, yet stagnant technology and while few in number, are very powerful because of their technology, which makes heavy use of force shielding.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Gotcha. I also thought the movie Starship Troopers was similar, too, although they don't have good armor in that movie, like the Terrans do.

I wonder if Starcraft II will "borrow" so much from other sources.
Ellran

Post by Ellran »

starship troopers are most closely compared to the imperial guard, and the bugs are essentially another source of inspiration for tyrannids.

getting back to wesnoth tho, it'd be interesting to see how developers here would be able to create a futurustic undead race without them being too close to necrons.

imo "wesnoth 40k" would have so much potential to be vastly different from wh40k given that it already has it's roots established, and all that would be necessary to do would be to elaborate on each races' futures. maybe in the future saurians don't have any dealings with drakes, or maybe knalga doesn't exist anymore and dwarves and men no longer cooperate. or maybe an entire race made of goblins because of the general downfall of the orcish bloodlines.
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

I had the exact same idea a while back, Ellran; it never got past the "idea" phase (not that anything I make is ever likely to; I can't code and can't do art) but I think that it would make a cool era.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Ellran

Post by Ellran »

i'm the same way styles. if i could then i'd do it but maybe if people keep talking about it some of the people who can develop it will actually do it :P
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Soz for Necro mods.

U guys still out there? Come to TWoT. I code, I cant sprite worth a damn. Come help with my scifi era. =D
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador