Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: SFault's franken art

Post by artisticdude »

Very impressive. You seem to have a lot of requests for your work. :D My only complaint for the revisions/new sprites is that the hair on the bottom right guy could use darker outlines so as to blend in with the rest of the sprite.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
SFault

Post by SFault »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote: Ehh, maybe, but it's good enough for me. I'm not picky. :D
Whatever suits you. Oh, wouldn't mind knowing the name of the campaign those are going...

Here are the animation pictures for woodswoman. The face is rather mascular in the melee animation. Any ideas how to fix that? And what is the shadow that needed to be fixed?
Attachments
woodswoman.png
woodswoman.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

SFault wrote:Oh, wouldn't mind knowing the name of the campaign those are going...
Quest for Myrithia. My little project that I tend to end up working on for a few weeks then giving up and returning to just another few weeks later. I recently returned to it after about a month-long break.
melinath

Post by melinath »

That looks great!

Shadows should be done like this.

Where are you copying the head from? The melee head is scratch? It might not be a problem, depending on the way the animation plays out.

If you could give her red hair, that would be incredible. Example:
Attachments
peasant-female.png
peasant-female.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

melinath wrote:Where are you copying the head from? The melee head is scratch? It might not be a problem, depending on the way the animation plays out.
The head is based on some female unit. I just added the ponytail. The melee head is the woodsman with the same hair with small adjustments.

Since your example had more orange than red hair, I'll give you four choises to choose the color from. After that I'll color all the frames and fix the shadows too. Also the marshal with better outlines and golden armor (which might be pain to carry around).
Attachments
group3.png
group3.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

The two guys on the right's heads need a bit of cleaning up. apart from that, looking good! :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
melinath

Post by melinath »

Perhaps something more like this:
woodswoman.png
woodswoman.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 5204 times
Red hair is actually orange... it's terribly misnamed. :-) About the bow animations: Are you using an old version of Wesnoth? Those look dramatically different than the 1.7.10 woodsman frames...

Thanks for working on this.
SFault

Post by SFault »

I was using some older version. Here's the red head. It was bit too much trouble for my time schedule to use the newer animation frames. Also I didn't bother to fix the shadow since I didn't find the opaque selection tool from photoshop. Paint shop pro has it and it's very handy for fixing those shadows. Maybe bit later when I can get my hands on my other computer again...
Attachments
woodswoman_redhair.png
woodswoman_redhair.png (9.01 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
melinath

Post by melinath »

That looks great! Thanks for the work. I'll be sure to add you to the credits.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Here we go again. My intent was to create some holy warriors. The last row is just some random units.
Attachments
group4.png
group4.png (34.71 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Don't have much to say on these except second down on the left. His mace flail thing doesn't look right, like someone has stolen a wizards staff and put a flail on it (which in this case is indirectly true). It would probably be better if the staff was designed to hold the flail. Apart from that, these are nice.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Yeah, those are nice. I think if those would be an add-on faction, it'd be cool. I love the one on the most right bottom.
Check out my sprites!
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

I would suggest trying to make the robes on the legs of the units with armor "stick out" less, because right now it looks rather poofy and strange. I would also suggest making the handles of the flails visible on the units that you put the flail on, so that it looks more like the shock trooper (i.e., you can still see most of the flail).

They look good though.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

On that note all the robes are the same. Try editing them a little to make each one different.

Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hey, good work SFault.
i also think i may use the one or other Sprite for my SX Addons.

keep em coming.
perhaps you may create a row of "unholy warriors :D
The best bet is your own, good Taste.