SFault's (franken) art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_King

Re: SFault's (franken) art

Post by Elvish_King »

First three units are very good (Personally I liked the old staff more zhan the new :D ). The fourth one looks a bit too tall and boring because he has everywhere the same colour. I suggest recolouring the armour with bronze or gold. :hmm: . The mace girl has a good overall looking but she holds her mace in unnatural way. The yellow mage is perhaps also a bit too tall, I don't really know...
I like the cat although it is a bit tiny and hard to read.
But very good looking sprites here!
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
SFault

Post by SFault »

I think I solved the problem with the scepter and gave her also a lower level version. The yellow mage shall be tall. I fixed the mace a bit but now the loin cloth looks quite flat. I tried to recolor white dude's armor but that didn't work too well. Maybe I'll try something else later. I also added new unit which is gonna be the hero. Is it bit too boring looking?
Attachments
group8c.png
group8c.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 10419 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
SFault

Post by SFault »

For quite a while I've been dreaming of doing a 4th level Wose. Let me present Archaic Wose (next to the ancient wose for comparison). I'm not totally satisfied with his right arm, so all ideas for it are welcome.
Attachments
Broccoli beefcake
Broccoli beefcake
archaicwose.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 10300 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
taptap

Post by taptap »

I believe unique "woses" based on different trees would be appreciated.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

SFault wrote:For quite a while I've been dreaming of doing a 4th level Wose. Let me present Archaic Wose (next to the ancient wose for comparison). I'm not totally satisfied with his right arm, so all ideas for it are welcome.
I like the idea of a lvl.4 Wose for some campaigns or UMC. About the arm: I think it would look better if the ellbow is a bit lower. :mrgreen:
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
SFault

Post by SFault »

I'm doing this dwarven campaign and one thing in it is mining. There will be miner units who can go and mine at least gold but maybe also iron and saltpeter. It will work so that the miner unit goes first to the gold vein, then turns into carrying mode and needs to return to the base. In base there will be a storage building which will launch the event and extra gold is added to the player's money.

So I need an image for the storage. I've started working with this and decided to hear some comments before going further. The door is mostly a place holder and I'm not so sure about those windows either. Mainly I would like to know if that looks like a storage instead of a village.
Attachments
WIP dwarven storage
WIP dwarven storage
dwarvenstore.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think if you keep it very plain and simple, it won't look like a village. I like the windows, but I would remove some of the details around the door.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Looks pretty nice for me :).

About the roof - you won't leave it with this big grey stain, will you? :roll: I also think that removing the roof may make it less similar to village. (you would also show the player how many stocks are inside ;) ).
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I "misread" your tile as a wall tile or part of one.
For the purpose you described I think it would work but suggest changing roof to either more stone texture or if underground leave it black as it connects to roof of cavern?

I think that a set of wall tiles based on your tile would look nice though.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks for comments. I intend to do a larger, possibly simpler door. The roof and walls are obvious WIP.

Some darker wall tiles might be a good idea, but most likely they aren't going to be made by me ^_^
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
SFault

Post by SFault »

OK. Here's version with big door and some stone texture. Making the texture was hard for me but I'm quite happy with the result. I also included a sample what it looks like underground.

There is no shadow, the positioning is bit off, and the sprite is clipped by the neighbor hexes. I used the HIGHLIGHT-macro. Apparently I need to do it in some other way.
Attachments
cavesample.png
storage.png
storage.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 9800 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Your darven village looks quite nice (even more for someone very far from your sprite art skill like me). However I think you could do a simple improve: Remove windows from front wall and lower altitude of windows on side walls. Windows that are very high in comparation with top limit of door looks quite weird for me: none could look throught them, and even less could use so high windows a dwarf ;) (as alternative you could draw 2 rows of windows if you want suggest a 2 floors building).
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

tekelili wrote:Windows that are very high in comparation with top limit of door looks quite weird for me: none could look throught them, and even less could use so high windows a dwarf
This is a storehouse not a village. High windows are normal in that type of building to let in some light. The dwarves are not supposed to look through them. (Using high windows in a storehouse is safer than lighting torches--especially if it's used by thunderers!)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

beetlenaut wrote:his is a storehouse not a village. High windows are normal in that type of building to let in some light. The dwarves are not supposed to look through them. (Using high windows in a storehouse is safer than lighting torches--especially if it's used by thunderers!)
My bad for supossing we were underground and light was going out from buildings, instead coming in from outdoor :oops:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SFault

Post by SFault »

tekelili wrote:Your darven village looks quite nice (even more for someone very far from your sprite art skill like me).
Thanks. Also, I think the low windows would get blocked soon if there is lots of stuff in the storage.

Now to think of it. I might try out a 4 hex version that would definitely be differentiated from a village.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art