artisticdude's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Re: artisticdude's art, Generic King Sprite

Post by Reepurr »

To me, it looks really good! I for one couldn't have done armour to that quality (I hate chainmail!) though it would be nice if the cape was TC, and there seems to be a lump on our bottom left of the cape...It looks very bizarre.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Reepurr wrote:it would be nice if the cape was TC, and there seems to be a lump on our bottom left of the cape...It looks very bizarre.
Well, like I said:
artisticdude wrote:Shading on the cloak + legs is still pretty rough, but it's only there to give me an idea of how it will work with the armor.
:wink:

I felt like having some artistic fun this evening, but I ran out of time before it was done. So I'll have to finish it later. Shading's still very rough, and I think I'm going to give the skin a different palette from the armor, even though it was supposed to look cool. But it isn't cooperating.

EDIT: Progress.
Attachments
bansheeishzombielikewraith.png
bansheeishzombielikewraith.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
sg.png
sg.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Completion. This was a good exercise in undead palettes, if nothing else. :P Now I'll have to finish that king dude...
Attachments
bansheeishzombielikewraith copy.png
bansheeishzombielikewraith copy.png (5.11 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

If it weren't for the shadow, it would look like a swordsman-dude jumping out from behind a bush. :augh:
But, yeah... the shadows helps, so it isn't really a problem.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:If it weren't for the shadow, it would look like a swordsman-dude jumping out from behind a bush. :augh:
Hehe. :P I get what you're saying. Needs to blend better. Should be an easy enough fix, just add some rags on the upper half, and some armor bits on the lower half. Then everything coheres nicely.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

It doesn't look much like a ghost to me, because the armour is completely intact. Given the fact that he has a full-face helmet, it would be pretty much impossible to get to the wearer of that armour without at least denting it a bit. (Though I have no idea how to do this at a pixelated scale...)
If you can't do that with the humble pixel, then maybe get some rust colours from the chocobone's helmet?

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:whistle:
Attachments
erasheet.png
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Awesome. Of course being me I have a huge hard-on for metallic armors and stuff, but that is really cool. You've come a long way.

The Destructor could use more stuff besides spikes. You'll probably expect me to recommend bigger weapons, so I recommend bigger weapons. The Arcrothnicon, besides being rather loftily named, could use a bit of anatomy reconsideration in the stomach area.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Progress. Well, a little, anyway. I might be doing this for an era, but I'll probably never get around to the coding (let alone the balancing... hate that stuff).
Zerovirus wrote:The Destructor could use more stuff besides spikes. You'll probably expect me to recommend bigger weapons, so I recommend bigger weapons.
There are a few other minor differences as well, bigger pauldrons, a different structure for the 'face' of the helmet, longer (not bigger) weapons. I'll definitely give him bigger weapons, and probably a different pose as well.
Zerovirus wrote:The Arcrothnicon, besides being rather loftily named, could use a bit of anatomy reconsideration in the stomach area.
:lol2: Lofty is right. I just strung some random syllables together until I got something that sounded cool. I'll probably change the name somewhere along. As for the stomach, I did a quick fix, but I'll probably completely redo it before calling it finished.

BTW, thanks for creating the ghast's bada$$ sprite, it really inpired me (was it obvious? :P ).
Attachments
erasheet3.png
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The Pwner's cloth skirt is really really badly textured and shaded, suffering from the bush-robe condition your previous spectre sprite had. I'll see if I can do a rough paintover later.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Perhaps you should change the thread title to honor the awsome sprites...
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yeah, the robes in both cases were very quickly & poorly rendered. I really need to work on my cloth shading. A paintover would be much appreciated. :)

Thread title will be changed momentarily...
Reepurr

Re: artisticdude's art: Evil Dwarves, Big-Mouthed Monsters,

Post by Reepurr »

:augh: I just realised! The Blade Squire line uses swords rather than giant machine pistols!

Uh...whoops...

I know you tried nicking the basic stuff off the Ghast, and I can tell from the legs, and the head and loincloth look really good together, but the legs seem to join in a strange place; i.e. the side of the head.
I know WINR but it looks really odd.

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Reepurr wrote:I know you tried nicking the basic stuff off the Ghast, and I can tell from the legs, and the head and loincloth look really good together, but the legs seem to join in a strange place; i.e. the side of the head.
Ah, no, actually. No 'nicking' at all. I used the ghast's palette, and it's anatomy as reference to some extent, but everything's 100% hand-drawn.

The legs aren't supposed to be anatomically correct. Basically it's a giant mouth on legs, nothing more. The entire creature is a warped, mutated kind of being, so having perfect anatomy doesn't really fit its character.

I'm coming up with descriptions of these creatures as I create them, so hopefully that will make their intended personalities/anatomies clearer. :)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Quick fix for the robes. He's still very much tilted forwards, though, and you should fix his posture.
Attachments
thepwner.PNG
thepwner.PNG (4.16 KiB) Viewed 4599 times