Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Newbie looking for work...

Post by artisticdude »

Any advice for a first-timer? I could really use some help in creating my first artwork. What needs to be done? I'm ready to try anything.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Re: Newbie looking for work...

Post by Cloud »

Welcome to the forum.

This is a list of the things we currently need, however some of it is a little out of date, so it's probably best to ask before you start.

This should be very useful to you.

Some people prefer doing artwork for UMC first, in which case find someone looking for artwork (plenty of them) or just post random stuff in the Art Workshop. This section is for serious mainline artwork.

I think that's about all, oh and expect to get a lot of crit for your work, and be prepared to work on that crit. It will make you a better artist.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Pick something, give it a try, give us an idea of your skill. Then we'll be able to direct you better.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The things needed to be done in order of difficulty are:
- shadow clearing (search the wiki/forum about how sprite shadows need to be) from units still using sprites with old style shadows. Most/all mainline units have this fixed, some campaign units still remain undone.
- Minor sprite upgrades (update things) or animations.
- Attack icons
- Portraits
UMC have lower quality barrier than included campaigns or Mainline units.

I have some task that I wanted to do but didn't had time, so if you want you can do them:

Take the trample attack icon and change it too a "skeletal hoof" one so it could be use in the Liberty's Bone Knight.

Update the heads of the Skeleton Rider and Bone Knight too.

Update the Death Squire in the same campaign to use an axe and the new skull used in all the other mainline skeletons.
Jethrel wrote:Liberty's Death Squire could stand to be upgraded with some of the unused parts for the Death Knight: viewtopic.php?p=257655#p257655<
Link to description of Liberty units
Link to description of Mainline units

You can also go to the browse the Wesnoth Units database to check for attack icons missing

You can join the other treads doing icons or fixing units or helping with the Dead Waters campaign or...

PS: As stated in other threads anyone else is also welcome to try.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Here's a creature I made called and ooze crawler. Sort of a ripoff of mudcrawler, but likes swamps. I was thinking of making this a level three creature and creating the two other levels later on. What do you guys think? Bad, good, completely hopeless?
Attachments
this is the swamp ooze's attack. It has this white edge to it that may or may not show up, but that's because I'm still trying to figure out how to make animated GIF's.
this is the swamp ooze's attack. It has this white edge to it that may or may not show up, but that's because I'm still trying to figure out how to make animated GIF's.
Swamp_Ooze-attack.gif (3.29 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Whoops, sorry, forgot to animate the GIF! Here's the correction:
Attachments
Swamp_Ooze-attacks.gif
Swamp_Ooze-attacks.gif (7.23 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

At your current level of ability, the chances of you being able to contribute to mainline are slim. however, I'm sure that there will be some UMC authors who would welcome your contributions. Find a project you like the look of, and offer your sevices to them.

For the moment, I'll move this thread to the Art Workshop.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

you're overrating the mainline sprites xD, though this one doesn't show much still - shading isn't bad on it, animation does need more work
try something that requires more colour variations, something humanlike maybe, or some more complex monster, maybe have a look at the dead water art topic and have a try at the mermen? or you could try catfolk - there's little enough work existing in that field to allow some imagination xD
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here