Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rhyging5
Art Contributor

new sprite

Post by rhyging5 »

this is the sprite of a man with axe. Also i'm working with a elf with sword. And my intention is to give them animation.....meanwhile whats your opinion abaut this? i match definitely the style of the game?
Attachments
pixelman2.png
pixelman2.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
pixelman.png
pixelman.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: new sprite

Post by Zerovirus »

Daaaaang. Niiice.

It's still not perfectly matching the game, but you're getting much closer now. Much closer.

For it to match, though, you'll have to use TC which means that you'll have to start using a hard-edge pencil tool sooner or later, otherwise the color will become skewed.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Why didn't you continue this in your old topic?

Anyway, the sprite looks great! Some problems though are that the legs are spread very far apart. Also the sprite is facing south. all the mainline sprites face south-east, but it doesn't have to. Besides that it is a great sprite. Maybe though you should work a bit on the shadows of your sprites. They all seem to be circular. You might want to take a look at the wiki. A recommendation I have is to add Team Color. This is a magenta color that changes on the units in-game according to there team.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Wow. That is a really impressive piece of sprite art.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

A general consideration in pixel art, especially if you're trying to match Wesnoth's style, is not to anti-alias.

In other words, do what's on the left of this, not the right:

Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Zerovirus wrote:Daaaaang. Niiice.

It's still not perfectly matching the game, but you're getting much closer now. Much closer.

For it to match, though, you'll have to use TC which means that you'll have to start using a hard-edge pencil tool sooner or later, otherwise the color will become skewed.
I once discovered a technique whereby I could select a region and then, through a series of steps in the image editor, map all pixels in that region to the standard TC magenta values based solely on luminosity. I used this to fix the green recolor potion and magenta recolor orb. Unfortunately, I forgot how I did it. Then someone broke the potion and orb again.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

ei! thanks.....

seems that some of you had examined the sprite with a magnifying glass! it is clear that even with the intention to approach the mainlinestyle, while i not working pixel by pixel. And i need to change some things......but looking so near some sprites of the game, i had seem that in some cases have no total sharpness (anti-alias) ......otherwhise....I also heed your advice i continue working on this concept.....
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

There are a few mainline sprites left that are not true pixel art, you're correct. We're working on replacing them.

The other consideration is the stance of the unit - it's not a huge problem, to be sure. But we generally try, particularly when creating new sprites, to make a more interesting pose than facing straight into the camera. Some older units are exceptions to this rule, and this guy looks cool, but this might be something worth bearing in mind for the future.

Otherwise, very nice work =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Zarel wrote:A general consideration in pixel art, especially if you're trying to match Wesnoth's style, is not to anti-alias.
I utterly and completely DISagree
lack of antialiasing simply means it's easier for amateurs such as myself to make sprites capable of matching any standard, sacrificing quality in favour of popularity, in NO way that means if someone IS capable of making things more extreme he should abandon them.

And the south-east facing simple makes it more convenient to animate, thus recommended, though not absolutely necessary if you can cope with the consequences in a way that looks right.

and please retain your work in one topic unless there's need to separate a specific theme, you made me think it's someone else following the same style xD
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

StDrake wrote:
Zarel wrote:A general consideration in pixel art, especially if you're trying to match Wesnoth's style, is not to anti-alias.
I utterly and completely DISagree
lack of antialiasing simply means it's easier for amateurs such as myself to make sprites capable of matching any standard, sacrificing quality in favour of popularity, in NO way that means if someone IS capable of making things more extreme he should abandon them.
I said "generally in pixel art" and "especially if you're trying to match Wesnoth's style". There are many art forms, some of which take much more skill, in which anti-aliasing is generally superior. However, they are not usually considered pixel art.

Just because anti-aliasing makes a work higher-quality doesn't mean it fits Wesnoth. rhyging5, if you're not trying to contribute to mainline Wesnoth, feel free to continue what you're doing, because it looks awesome. If you are trying to, then you'll have to work pixel-by-pixel.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
tuahaa

Post by tuahaa »

You're too good!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Hello! thanks for your replies, especialy to stdrake. But zarel and spaceinvader have every reason about the importance of preserve the mainstyle. Eclectic styles usually do not work very well, i think. But if the result is the same matters how you did it?

I finished the elf with the sword, I Called it, the abandoned elf. And i and tried to work pixel by pixel. But not the entire proces.

An abandoned elf is the one who left because of a felony is expelled from their land and forced to wander. As a wanderer who is, you can never trust them
Attachments
abandonedelf.png
abandonedelf.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Ooh, veeeery nice. You're coming much closer to mainline style. We can tell the robe wasn't made using solid-edged pencils, but it's still very good and reminds me of the Aragwaithi sprites.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Great work, though the sword looks odd like that - i think it's meant to be nocked or damaged, but it currently just looks like the outlines are done wrongly.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Is there a chance I could use this latest sprite in a UMC? (Perhaps a later version instead... the outlines on the sword are indeed a little odd. But the cloak, hair, boots - great!)

Also: take a look at Creating_Shadows_Under_Units for the latest mainline standards.