Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Frogger5

Re: Frogger's sprites critique please

Post by Frogger5 »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Frogger5 on December 21st, 2010, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
revenant

Post by revenant »

Some of the pictures are good, but I think that a few of them are a little to boxy.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The straight lines on the armor issue has already been covered. Frogger5 said he wants them that way.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

artisticdude wrote:The straight lines on the armor issue has already been covered. Frogger5 said he wants them that way.
Indeed, If you look at the drawing you can see. :wink:

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

If you need animators for the Seljjians, I've got the Axeman.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Telaron wrote:If you need animators for the Seljjians, I've got the Axeman.
I'm not going to do animations just yet, but I'm getting there. :wink:

Issyl

Post by Issyl »

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.6/pics/00147_seaserpent.png

This is the way the Salamander should be facing.

Some more things:
- The Axeman's axe is not aligned with his left hand, nor is the axeblade aligned with the shaft.
- I would suggest making the axeheads of the Longaxe units slightly larger.
- The Seljjian Swordsman's sword is rather large for a level 1 unit.
- The right arm of the Seljjian Fighter is in a rather odd position. I would suggest making him hold the bow farther away from his body, and farther in front of himself.
- Your Warrior Captain's legs are waaaaay too short.
- Your Warrior Captain might need a quiver for arrows. Maybe. Just a thought. :wink:
- The cold mage is pretty short, even for a level 1 unit. I would suggest lengthening his torso and head. (Unless he's a level 0)
- The backcurve of the Serader's weapons is pretty extreme - I would suggest toning the thickness of the blade at the tip down a few pixels.
- Your master cold mage should be facing towards the bottom right of the hex - currently his body is, but his head is not.
- Your "Cold Mage Scepter" should have more shading for the clothes in his robe. Look at the mainline Mage for inspiration.
- I would suggest getting rid of the aura on the "Cold Mage Scepter" and only using it for his attack animation.
- Your "Cold Mage Scepter" should be facing towards the bottom right of the hex.
- Your Cavalryman looks like a fat midget at this point. Make his torso a little taller, and make his head less huge.
- The face of the Seljjian Spearman is too long.

Hope I helped.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Fantastic.
Best critique yet I'll dare say.
I've known for a while I needs to improve some of the sprites I just haven't known what.
A few pointers:
The sword size is intentional, unlike the other human units, seljjians start with bigger swords, not broadswords, but not the smaller swords your see on cavalrymen and stuff.
I've been meaning to ditch the aura for ages, thankyou for reminding me.
The Seljjian cavalrymans 'head' is in fact his helmet. Take a look at my drawing for reference.
A quiver? gosh it never occurred to me!
The seljjian spearman's face looks horse like because I made the shadows on the side of his face too dark, I'll be sure to fix that.

Thanks alot.
Now I'll fix it when I can be bothered lol. :D

Edit: Did some work. Will show you tomorrow.

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Frogger5 on December 21st, 2010, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SFault

Post by SFault »

Units 2,3 and 7: the helmet's lower part is a straight line. It looks boxy and stiff. Try to round it a bit. (The #4 has a bit same problem with his head).
First one has a cloak and a quiver. The quiver looks a bit unnaturally attached to his back. Unfortunately I don't have an idea how to fix it, but perhaps he could have a quiver on his belt instead.
Otherwise looking good.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Aura

Post by Aura »

The first unit looks good although his bow holding pose is awkward and so are his legs (too thin maybe, or bad posing).

The second guy, good, maybe round the top of his helm a little more but otherwise good. Probably the best there.

Third guy, badly shaded on our left arm, hands look off, shoulderpads don't really stick out enough, possibly the chest is too large in some way but I'm not sure.

Fourth guy, thin waist, add a little more to the chest (detail, extra shading maybe), poor face, but not bad overall.

Fifth guy, pretty good but the brown cowl looks off (the color), the staff is a little thin, and the flame could look more realistic.

Sixth guy, if he's meant to be a cold mage he isn't great. Robes are the wrong color and still look tatty, staff top looks quite bad.

Last guy, pretty good but could use a new weapon since it's the same as his lower levels.

Overall though, pretty good units.
francophone

Post by francophone »

I found the angle of the first legs bad. As articulated too low. I do not know if I'm clear.
I'll try to explain with a drawing
January 1st version
2 current angle legs
3 angle that I propose
4 overview of what it would

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Frogger5 on December 21st, 2010, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aura

Post by Aura »

I don't really mean the armour is plain, but the shading is not detailed enough to make it spring out as armour. It looks more like card or wood at the moment.

The staff could possibly do with being made 1 pixel thicker or it would snap through normal use the size it is now.

By changing the weapon I don't mean the type but make it a more impressive long-axe. It's exactly the same as the Level 2's longaxe.

I'm not saying you must change the cold mage but at the moment he looks like a ragged traveller with a darkness staff. Up to you though.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Frogger5 on December 21st, 2010, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.