Fire/Ice

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darkshade

Fire/Ice

Post by Darkshade »

Im working on the Dark plains era and one of the factions has a special naga. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to draw naga looking like ice and naga that are red. Examples would be nice.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Fire/Ice

Post by Aethaeryn »

In the GIMP, use the Colorize feature and then paste in the parts (weapons, etc.) that shouldn't be colored. Photoshop probably has something similar. MS Paint is way too primitive to have such an effect.

What art program are you using?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Try it yourself, post the results, and wait for crit.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9579
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Aethaeryn wrote:In the GIMP, use the Colorize feature and then paste in the parts (weapons, etc.)
I prefered using the "select by colour" (shift+o) and either "Colour Balance" or "Hue-Satuation";

/* Did I just add a semi-colon to the end of that line?
* Guess I've been programming too long already.
*/
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Cloud wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:In the GIMP, use the Colorize feature and then paste in the parts (weapons, etc.)
I prefered using the "select by colour" (shift+o) and either "Colour Balance" or "Hue-Satuation";
I purposely said the (imo) easiest way to do it. Yes, recoloring the whole image at once is not the best method, but almost everyone should be able to do it.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Well... you can always hue/saturation the entire image, if you're going for simplicity. The problem with colorize (which would be equally simple) is that it takes out all of the hue variation, whereas hue/saturation preserves it. Of course, depending on the starting and ending hues, the initial hue variation may be too great or too small, so Cloud's method really is the best (besides simply doing it by hand).
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

How about this. If you make your own first I'll promise to help you make it cooler if you want my help.
Darkshade

Post by Darkshade »

Aethaeryn I use Gimp.
I usualy use the paint brush or the select by colour.
But i cant realy get the desired effect the skin ends up weird and the belly looks more like blood. (at least i can make a bleeding effect :P )

[Thanks Zerovirus]

Im going to try and post my current art later today but it really looks bad

Although the ice is actualy going quite well. :D
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Don't use the paint brush on pixel art, use the pencil. (paint brush is a fuzzy tool, the pencil is hard-edged)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Darkshade wrote:Aethaeryn I use Gimp.
I usualy use the paint brush or the select by colour.
But i cant realy get the desired effect the skin ends up weird and the belly looks more like blood. (at least i can make a bleeding effect :P )
Perhaps only recolor the green part of the body and leave the yellow chest part alone. It's understandable that the chest would look bad but the skin would look good because they're two different colors: introduce a secondary color or leave the original secondary color alone. If you're going to recolor the chest, perhaps try orange.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)