A few fantasy themed sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ubik

A few fantasy themed sprites

Post by ubik »

Here's my first attempt at making sprites with Wesnoth in mind. The sprite and phoenix are created from scratch and the unicorn is adapted from a existing sprite.
unicorn.png
unicorn.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Attachments
forest_sprite.png
forest_sprite.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
pheonix.png
pheonix.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: A few fantasy themed sprites

Post by Neoskel »

Wrong forum, this should go in the Art Workshop. Art Contributions is for sprites intended for mainline Wesnoth. I'm sure some moderator will move this thread there momentarily.

On the art, the unicorn looks like it has an abnormally long and pointy ear instead of a horn.

The forest sprite is pretty good, but the phoenix is kinda bleh.
ubik

Post by ubik »

Oops, sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I've started to animate the sprite/faery:
Attachments
forest_sprite_alternate.gif
forest_sprite_alternate.gif (2.23 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Huston

Post by Huston »

there is no way the wings could move like that . use a butterfly's wing movements for reference.

EDIT: let me be clearer it looks like the wings are moving up and down currently. not front to back.
Last edited by Huston on September 22nd, 2009, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

make sure you move more than just the wings in the animation. the body should move in someway, and also the shadow
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

@ubik: great sprites for first post!
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Lots of good criticism here, but I don't know if you've gotten the kudos you deserve. They look excellent, especially for someone's first sprites. The forest sprite is my favorite, but I agree that the wing movement doesn't function quite right.

In designing these, do you have a specific UMC campaign or era in mind?

Keep up the good work.
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Critique on the phoenix: the shading is a bit too smooth and flat-looking... and the outlines (and inner lines) aren't distinct enough. But just a little. Also, the wings are differently-shaped, and a little odd-shaped at that. But it still looks really good!

As for the unicorn, I think the horn could use a tiny bit more spiral, and maybe be a pixel narrower if the angle allows for that. It might also use a slightly creamier color to distinguish it from the horse's head (probably will help solve the "ear-like" problem mentioned above). But the unicorn also looks great. Makes me want to use it in my campaign... any chance I could get you to do a naiad? :lol2:

The sprite looks quite Wesnoth-ish, which is good, but as people mentioned, the animation looks odd. I really like the detailed shadow, though.

Overall very good sprites, they just need a little bit of work to click and fit right into Wesnoth!
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Pheonix just needs outlines. The flatness is caused by the way it just blends out to the background.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

the phoenix coloration looks fine to me, but i'd prefer seeing a larger tail, proportions are somewhere strange in there
and heck for a first post those are quite amazing sprites there! I'd see some more care to the unicorns horn as well but that might just be my own opinion.
For the sprites wing movement it might be enough if the animation was faster and with some blurring added on their movement path
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
ubik

Post by ubik »

Hey guys, thanks for the verbose feedback. It's very helpful to know specifically what you see as not working. I'll see what I can do about fixing up those issues in each sprite. I've created another sprite yesterday just for kicks, it's the start of a minautor sprite. I'm thinking of adding clothes and accessories before attempting to animate it.

Oh and as far as Naiads go, I'm looking at pictures on the net to get an idea of what they look like. I'll see what I can do, but no promises as of yet ;)
Attachments
minautor.png
minautor.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
ubik

Post by ubik »

@mabeenot

Thx, I've no campaigne in mind. I've just started playing wesnoth this week and I'm still new to the game and community. I'm reading a little bit about how campaigns and scenarios work while trying out some of the many campaigns out there. As I get a little more familiar with the game and community my contributions will no doubbt be more focused on specific campaigns. For now I'm just having fun drawing up sprites I myself would like to see.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

now you've done it, after those words every pixel antitelanted (including me) faction/era designer will be anxiously awaiting your aid :D

as for the minotaur..there's something not right about his legs..hard to tell - facing? size? well he is quite tall for wesnothian standards but something goes wrong in that part

psst: there exists a post edit option unless you want to bump the topic
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The near leg ought to be facing towards camera a lot more - check the new drake sprite legs for some inspiration. And overall, your lighting direction is a bit off - you're pillow shading to some extent. Those minor criticisms aside, this looks excellent. nice work =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ubik

Post by ubik »

Not too sure what pillow shading is (looking it up...) but I went ahead and did a blocking version of the minotaur yesterday.

As far as helping people out on their campaigns, I'll have to see. I'd like to polish the ones I started before moving on to new sprites. Not to mention that I'm still new at this, so these relatively simple sprites are taking me a long time to complete. But who knows, if you're patient and you bug me a lot, it might work out! Plus I'd like to learn how to build scenarios and campaigns to give these new sprites a home.

Oh and as for the size, the minotaur is as tall as the large Troll, not counting the horns.
Attachments
minautor_block.png
minautor_block.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 4816 times