Zero's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Zero's Steelhive Art- Working on Attack frames

Post by StDrake »

the only thing i could pin on the sentient is that the shadow looks somehow..incompatible with the actual shape, maybe its those single-pixel cut-ins? another thing is that its really hard to imagine how could it actually attack, expecially in melee (unless it would just ram into things), but im sure you have some sort of a vision there :hmm:
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Actually, it can just ram into things or shoot beams out of the gems that are on its orbiting plates. It upgrades a lot and gets pretty powerful after a while.

EDIT:

I got bored.

It's kinda WIP. Because Wesnoth needs more over-the-top impossible fantasy armor. I need to do a bit more work on shoulder armor. It's a bit too bulky and shading is kinda off.

And it has fingers! That's something you don't see here every day.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I can't shake the feeling that he's leaning way back with his hips thrust forward. I think it's a combination of the fact that the belt-thing points upward, and the fact that his hip armor appears to be higher than his hips. Possibly also the position of the legs relative to the torso, but it's hard to say.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Filler art for the collision attack icon:
collision.png
collision.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
If you want to improve this, Zero, it's all yours. If you'd rather give suggestions and watch in amusement as I whimper and twist in pain trying to get it right (okay, probably wouldn't be as bad as all that) that's okay, too.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Is the steel sentient going to get a spinning animation? 'cause it looks like it should be spinning slowly and bobbing slightly as it floats.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'm trying to get multiple frames of each plate armor piece in the different possible positions so that I can cut and paste them together into a spin animation but it's kinda tedious so I gave up after 4 poses out of like 7.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Your lesson for the day: animation IS tedious. VERY tedious. It involves lots of detailed redrawing of roughly the same thign at different angles and in different positions. Particularly boring is applying the same animations to multiple units. It can be dull as ditchwater, but if you want a quality finished product, you need to do it, and do it well.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Get +5 Confidence!
Get +5 Motivation!

Maybe I'll get started on the spin animation thingy again. And maybe I'll try learning GIMP too.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

your new one looks a bit hunchbacked. it would also stand out in a crowd because of the colour deviation.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

wesfreak wrote:your new one looks a bit hunchbacked. it would also stand out in a crowd because of the colour deviation.
*slaps upside head* It's not related to the faction, it's just something he made because he was bored of working on the same thing for so long.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I think he means generally in wesnoth-colored units.

I did go a bit overboard with teamcoloring didn't I? Whatever. Not like I'm still working on the guy, that was just 45 minutes of entertainment.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Steel Fideliant.

LV3 upgrade for Steel Vector. Almost no stat upgrades, but all Steel Fideliant units are loyal and require none of the normal LV3 upkeep of 3 gold. This makes them an extremely valuable asset in long battles.

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Quite good apart from pillowshading.

Pillowshading is good if the surface being looked at is cylindrical (or spherical) with a convex curve pointing right towards us. Pillow shading is extremely bad if that's not the shape of the surface.

Good luck.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Hey awesome. Jetrel posted in my thread.

If you're talking about the crappy teamcolor dude I did, well, he's not really going to be expanded on. If you're talking about the new centaur-ish steelhive one, well...

Hmm.

Lemme see... I'm not exactly a master of spriting yet, so I'm not sure if it's pillowed or not. I tried to make the light direction in front of the way the guy is facing only a bit to the unit's right. Maybe I can get it to look better.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Well it's been too long but I finally made some Repairer and Welder unit images... These look a bit stupid but they're the best I have right now. I'll probably replace them with something better further on.

Welder (ignore the fact that I misnamed the two of them)
Repairer

Welder heals 4, Repairer heals 8. Both fly, Welder has a ranged 5-3 Weld attack (Melinath, plz use the Drake fire effect instead of fireball), Repairer has a ranged 5-4 Weld attack. Umm... Lemme think for a bit.

Welder
12 Gold
Lv1 Neutral
Heals +4
HP: 27
XP: 24
Attacks:
Weld (ranged), 5-3 fire

Repairer
26 Gold
Lv2 Neutral
Heals +8, Regenerates (he can fix himself too now)
HP: 45
XP: 65 AMLA
Attacks:
Weld (ranged), 5-4 fire

Oh, and I think the Cybercone's price should be reduced to 12 gold because they die way too easily. Lightshifter reduce to 8 gold so that it's easier to make a decoy in a pinch if you don't have much gold... And because they're kinda single-purpose noncombat units that are really weak.