Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zero's Steelhive Art- Working on Attack frames

Post by Zerovirus »

EMERGENCY BROADCAST

If you thought the Steel Hivequeen was powerful, well...

The Hive Empress is here. Whereas a Hivequeen rules over a singular hive using its sapient hivemind, the Hive Empress controls the Queens in much the same way and by extension the entire Steelhive species. This avatar of apocalypse has arrived on our battlefields, and not even our strongest archmagi or the most titanic of dragons(well, until Eternal finishes his dragon sprite) can face it. We can hold our ramparts no longer, with this colossus threatening our land. Retreat!

EDIT:

Now it has wings?!? What the heck? Oh well. They look cool anyways.

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

looks like im a wee late with the coding offer, but i could still help testing and maybe correcting the stats ;> got a few ideas for a nice campaign too, just wondering if the faction is going to work with 1.6..we'll see

as a side note existing electrical/lightning attacks are classified as fire damage (look at delfador and runesmiths)
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

If Melinath uploads the addon into 1.6 I think we might have a lot more testers. I'm not sure though.

Steel Drone=> Steel Scout=> Steel Recon

These guys have 8 move points and can move speedily over most land terrain. That, combined with two of the most unlikely characteristics, flight and submerge, make them useful scouting and assassination units.

There. Final version. I've finally decided what I wanted to do with the Steel Drone line.

EDIT:

I made the Steel Oculus's Melee animation. I don't have an animator program so if anyone would like to make the animation (winks at Melinath) he's welcome to do so and tell me if the frames line up or not. In the meantime, Melinath, upgrade the Oculus with these frames plz.

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i tried to make a different kind of steelhive archer drone. it's not very good and we probably won't use the unit itself, but i decided to post it anyways. i couldn't get the colour right though. its supposed to have axe-like blades on its hands, but they aren't very noticable.

edit: i just realised that it looks a little like its hands have a cold aura. could we use it for the cold soldier maybe?
Attachments
drone.png
drone.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Um... No. It doesn't fit the style, my style, at all, and I don't intend on making any bipedal anthropomorphic unit besides the Slasher line's upgrades. That, and, to put it bluntly, it sucks. It looks puny and generally not designed for combat.

If you couldn't get the color right why didn't you just save one of my units and use the pallete I have? I have a pallete on almost every single one of my spritesheets.

How about you stick to suggestions. Sorry if I sound really mean, but I don't think you're suited for doing graphics with us.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

no problem. i suck at graphics anyways. it looks puny and unsuited for combat because i based it off of a unit that's puny and unsuited for combat.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Steel Drone:

Steel Scout:
Error we cannot find your image 404 404 404 (Zerovirus got lazy)

Steel Recon:

So yeah. I need to do the Lv2 Steel Scout and then make the Steel Drone's shadow. And now it's time for more work for Melinath. Move, slave! XD

EDIT:

Wow, nobody has posted? Not even Melinath?

*shrugs*

Anyways, I have a really weird version of the Steel Sentient now, as well as the Sparkgazer graphics that I did half an hour ago over the downtime. And an update for the Hive empress that I did for fun.

Sparkgazer Melee:
I'm not sure if this one will animate as smoothly as the last one. I'll tweak it once we see how the animation works out.

Steel Sentient:
I'll need feedback on this. Is it too big for a Lv1? Probably. But it can become really really powerful and its graphics don't change so I wanted something with a bit of grandeur...

Steel Empress (V3):
So yeah. Mostly changed the torso area as well as the wing-decoration things. Also remade the armblades to better fit my mental image. A forehead gem was added too. Still don't know exactly how I'm going to be using this.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Sorry, Zero... I just get tired of telling you that they look awesome.

I'll code these ASAP. (Read: This evening.) Do you think you could post what you were thinking for steel sentient, steelhive empress, steelhive queen, and drone stats in the feedback/balancing thread?

Requests from my side: It'd be great to get that lvl 2 drone done and the repair line graphics.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I got your stats for ya in your feedback thread.

The Lv2 drone isn't too hard but I just got bored of the design for the Drone line, so I went and wasted an hour and a half on the new Hive Empress.

I haven't done the Repair one because, honestly, I don't know what to do for it. I've tried out a few concept drawings and they all look like crap. I'm kinda stuck on it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hope you update the demo soon!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Zerovirus wrote:I haven't done the Repair one because, honestly, I don't know what to do for it. I've tried out a few concept drawings and they all look like crap. I'm kinda stuck on it. Anyone have any suggestions?
How about something like a floating vertically tilted beetle, with the legs as the repair things/weapons.

Or a Dalek. :P
Last edited by Neoskel on August 11th, 2009, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

actually those scout line images look very like repair units, they seem to be accustommed to complex labour but harmless otherwise
maybe something similar, with the same "head" but a different bulk and some thin service arms?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
melinath

Post by melinath »

Something like a slasher with some legs for walking and two for repairing, perhaps?

Or something like WALEE. Or however his name is spelled. With caterpillar rollers (though this would be a new element not found in other units and might not fit...)

Though it might be interesting to have scout healers.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Scout healers are counterintuitive. The point of scouts is to be far away from the main army to scout and the point of healers are the exact opposite- to be as close to the army as possible to heal the troops.

But anyways.

I gave the Drone a shadow and made the Scout. I also gave the Sentient a shadow and edited a few pixels on it.

Presenting the new updated Unit Tree.

Melinath, it's that time again. Updates! Well, really all you need to do is make the Drone line and the Sentient recruitable and process the new graphics through your wesnoth image formattificationer device thingy. Shouldn't be much hassle.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

in my opinion the sentinents legs are a bit chubby. i also think he's too tall.

I would give the healer the body of a coat rack but thicker, a head on top and the places where you put the coat longer and pointing downwards with fixing utensils at the end ( a blowtorch and maybe a wrench). so basically very little like a coat rack.

also, maybe the pink things at the bottom of the scout's legs should point backwords so they look like jets or something? i just think that would be a bit better.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

... I apparently didn't do so hot on the Sentient. I mean you couldn't tell what it was. That's really sad.

The Sentient is basically a really smart Supercomputer-UFO. That's floating.

So they're not legs. They're kinda petals hanging down like a skirt. Think flower with the huge center gem as the center.

Well, everyone's suggestions have given me a lot of inspiration. In the end I think we'll end up with a sort of compromise between several of the ideas. The welder is on its way!

EDIT:
Why would you give the Welder a wrench if they're alien robots from outer spac- crap. I just gave away their backstory didn't I?

Well anyways, how do you know that the Steelhive uses the terrestrial systems of nuts and bolts and wrench sizes?