Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
A-Red
Art Contributor

Re: A-Red's sprite art (Sorrow, etc)

Post by A-Red »

Ok, ignoring the rust for now, and just trying to improve the basic chain mail. Thanks for the advice. How is this?

ImageImage
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think that's better. Maybe limit the bright pixels to the top of his head and chest and make the side of the head darker, so it is more obvious where the light is coming from. That should make it more clear that it is metal.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It is an improvement, the contrast makes it stand out more from the unit's body so that it does not appear to be hair or anything organic.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Excellent. My one worry is that by doing the adjustments to make it look more like metal, I've also made it look too clean. For a zombie, that is. I wonder if I should keep playing with the rust.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Hey, even a zombie might get lucky in the loot rolls sometimes.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Rust might be too subtle a detail, by itself at least. A more jagged lower edge of the coif or a ragged piece of cloth (somewhere nearby like his shoulder) would probably be an easier way to get the point across.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Winnower redesign, with and without smoke. The skeleton itself is definitely a lot better this time, and more appropriately scaled. How does the smoke look?

ImageImage

The Thrall has had one more touch-up on the chain mail, for better lighting. My avatar and the first post both have the update.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Maybe a silly question, but is the brown stuff the smoke you keep mentioning? I thought that was a kind of ragged left-over-from-dying shirt... I like it, in any case.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Another edit for the Winnower, attempting to texture the smoky area and make it look less flat.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Taking a short break from Owaec to work on my undead again.

This is the Whisper, a sort of anti-White Mage, in that it will have a cold-damage "beam of shadow" and a "dampen" ability that funtions as a reverse-illuminate. It doesn't heal, though--that'll be the next and last of my base-level undead.

masaber2

Post by masaber2 »

very epicly awesome, but for zombie looking guys, i think face should be less fat, since dead corpse will start rotting and mostly left over is slight muscles and rotten flesh stuck to the bones.
Making random sprites.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Perhaps use the Obscure ability from IftU?

I really like the new one! esp. the - hair? Robe? The thing coming out of the top of its head. And a great name.

The floating undead theme is nifty, but - are you planning on TCing them?

Also, obscure (or dampen, or whatever you call it) seems a bit strong for a base-level unit...
stimj

Post by stimj »

I like the idea of an anti-dark mage. But would an undead unit really heal? How about giving it a poison aura that poisons any foe units that stay in its zone of control for a turn? Just a thought.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

stimj wrote:I like the idea of an anti-dark mage. But would an undead unit really heal? How about giving it a poison aura that poisons any foe units that stay in its zone of control for a turn? Just a thought.
The leveled-up Plague Walkers will have the area-poison ability. The undead "healer" is technically more of a "repair" unit--you'll see. Hopefully I'll have a draft done by the end of the weekend.

I'm not worrying too much about how powerful base-level units are--this is for a solo campaign, not a multiplayer faction. The more powerful units will be rare, and the weaker units will come en masse. Also, the Whisper will be very physically weak.

Oh, and you're completely right about TC, Melinath. I forgot to take into account that in editing it from the Winnower, I removed the areas with team-color. I'll have to figure something out--nothing currently strikes me as an obvious solution, since I want his smoky aura to remain mostly black.
stimj

Post by stimj »

For the smoky effect, you could just try using very deep shades of magneta (team color) as if it's blackened by the smoke.