Ghost sketch

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mathijs

Re: Ghost sketch

Post by Mathijs »

all true, devs, just give me a clue wether or not to continue on this guy!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord Ork wrote:I don't seem so much contradiction. Ghosts faces are not seen in the sprite (only darkness). On the other side, I think I see grey hands that could be, or not, skeletical. I was assuming that the face and the hands would be very translucid in the final version, so I don't see it too inconsistent from the sprite.
There would be contradiction as his portrait does indeed have a face in it, and even the concept has a bit of one too. Translucent or not, there should be no face, only darkness, as noted below.
Yeah - i liked it, but Jet's categorically stated that the ghost line has little to no visible substance - I've left a couple of bits in on the 'gaunt to hold the shape, but there's now intended to be no visible bodies apart from the ghost's insubstantial hands.
Lord Ork wrote:I even recall that the old wraith or spectre had a skull for face.
Right, that would be back in 1.2. The portraits are based on how the sprites are now, not how they used to be.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Well, I can see the evident. My point was that face not visible on the sprite doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe when in front of it and so close it could be barely seen in a very subtle yet intriguing way. Anyway, I see it is canon that the face is never seen in any way or condition (I don't know why then hands are visible), so further discussion is pointless.

About continuation on this work, Mathijs, we knew from the beginning that this wasn't for mainline, didn't we? That is, you were pointing to mainline quality (which is different to pointing to inclusion), and we knew that the ghost portrait was going to be done by TSI. Or I haven't understood a thing? I thought you were doing for amateurism and for learning how to make mainline quality portraits (and one day contribute to mainline). So, I think nothing of this has changed.

So, my recommendation is that you do what you feel. If you continue this work, it won't surely be included on mainline, but the result could be equally cool, perfect for a UMC character (which could scape from the no-face-only-darkness canon), or for another game, or for any other purpose (art page, sticker, T shirt, poster,...).
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord Ork wrote: Well, I can see the evident. My point was that face not visible on the sprite doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe when in front of it and so close it could be barely seen in a very subtle yet intriguing way. Anyway, I see it is canon that the face is never seen in any way or condition (I don't know why then hands are visible), so further discussion is pointless.
Hands are visible because they protrude from the sleeves, but as noted by TSI in his thread, they will most likely be skeletal/translucent in nature. Beyond that, it was stated that they have no visible substance and the ghost portraits worked on previously have worked towards keeping the contents of the hood in darkness.

Mathijs is indeed just doing this for his own practice and is not looking for inclusion, but part of being critiqued to mainline standards as he asked would be to view it as for inclusion, which would mean making him aware of various aspects of the portrait that have been determined and the general policy to follow the major aspects of the sprite.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Mathijs wrote:all true, devs, just give me a clue whether or not to continue on this guy!
As you're already aware, this is not going to be going mainline. However, completing it would still be excellent practice for you. I'd advise you to do so.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

thespaceinvader wrote:
Mathijs wrote:all true, devs, just give me a clue whether or not to continue on this guy!
As you're already aware, this is not going to be going mainline. However, completing it would still be excellent practice for you. I'd advise you to do so.
And, as a word of encouragement from a UMC developer: Looking at it, I think this image might be a near perfect fit for a particular character (or a group of characters) that feature in my campaign (A Rough Life).
Spoiler:
They don't have any conversation as such yet, but I would be mightily tempted to add some if this portrait was brought to fruition.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

alright than, glad this got sorted out. I'm busy with some exams now, I'll be back with some updates next week, say monday or tuesday.
I've already corrected some of the line thickening thinning, as wel as a correction to his left arm, I'm going to edit the last post as it's only minor changes