Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Ghost sketch

Post by thespaceinvader »

The hand looks excellent, but the eyes are still rather too large and not really human-shaped. Be careful to draw the actual shapes of eyes, and to remember that they're round balls sat under the surface, not almonds painted on it. Don't draw what you think they look like, draw what they actually do look like.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I've started on the line thinning & thickening, it's far from finished, but I wanted you to see his eye, I think I've got it right, but just to check.
I've also added his second hand, might be a little too detailed...
Attachments
ghost4_tt.png
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The eye's improved. I'd also suggest sorting out the lip, too - it currently looks a little like he's wearing clown makeup.

Overall, I'd try to use less explicit linework for things like this, and do a lot more of it with shading - it'll look better in the long run.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

It is starting to achieve a great quality. The hands look awesome. On the other side, I don't know much about anatomy, but I'm trying to imagine him naked (only for artistic purposes), and I can't. The neck seems too low for his shoulders, and I'd say, but I'm not sure, that the arms are also a bit too high.

As TSI is a great artist and he hasn't mentioned it, it's possible that I'm simply failing to view it.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

No, you're right - the neck seems quite short. The proportions in general are quite distorted, but the artist has said this is intentional. Whilst this might seem like an excuse (=P) I'm perfectly happy to let it slide, since this is not a mainline portrait.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

thespaceinvader wrote:No, you're right - the neck seems quite short. The proportions in general are quite distorted, but the artist has said this is intentional. Whilst this might seem like an excuse (=P) I'm perfectly happy to let it slide, since this is not a mainline portrait.
Where did I ever say that this is intentional? I only said I wanted to make him look fragile...
I did try to correct things slightly, but missed the neck issue. He should have one more vertebra there. (The arm at our left is also displaced, currently it can not fit the shoulder socket.)
Honoustly, I'm not posting these things here so you can 'let things slip', I'm posting it here in the hope of a good honoust feedback, that'll tell me what I've missed & done wrong. Although you seem not to believe in it, I do am trying to get it up to mainline standards.
I know this is one of your summer projects, so I hope this will only raise the bar for me, not make it impossible for you to accept it.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'll be properly with you next week. I'm busy at present with my last uni assignments. If you want full-pelt crit, I'll be more than willing to provide then :twisted:
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I'll appreciate that, thanks :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

In that case, something seems to be a bit odd about the angle of his left arm (our right). The head appears to be situated far back in the portrait, but his left arm comes out at an angle that implies it is coming mostly towards the viewer, and yet the elbow to shoulder section of the arm is so big while the elbow to hand section is so small. In comparison to his right arm, it seems a bit more proportional.

Also, the arm that still has skin seems to have a relatively loose sleeve while the skeletal arm seems to have a tighter sleeve, particularly at the cuff, when I would expect the opposite.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I've redone most of his left side in this newer version before I read your comments, I think I've adressed the angle of the arm, but tell me if it's still off.
I've given him an extra vertebra, the clavicle is just below his cloak, however, it shouldn't be, don't tell me I've just noticed comparing the fleshed section (which looks okay IMO) and skeletal section. His head should be nudged forward a little, chin facing down, covering the other vertebrae

The upper arm at our right seems too thick now in comparison, the left one is tighter becase 'wind' wrapped it. Other than that he looks fine :p lol
Attachments
ghost6_tt.png
Last edited by Mathijs on May 28th, 2009, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Don't just arbitrarily thicken the lines. Think about where the light is coming from, and where the shadows will fall - lines are thickest where there is shade, and thinnest in bright light.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Since you said you are trying to bring this to mainline standart and I feel like critiqueing, here are a few pointers:

Some parts of this guy, especially the skeleton parts and the hand look really realsitic and good! Did you have better refs for those than for the rest? I ask because there is a big quality gap between those and e.g. the face. Whatever made you draw these parts that well - use that method for the whole guy!

Your lines are awfully easy to identify as vector. Using vector is a great thing, but the way you are using it you're getting a very typical look. The drawing doesn't look like your drawing, your style, your character in those lines but like the character of your technique. That's a bad thing.

Composition. You positioned your character awfully plain. Plain frontal is acceptable in some cases, but generally views with an angle look better and more natural. This impression gets worse because of the arm positions - what the heck is that guy doing? It looks uncomfortable and stiff. Avoid 90° (or in your case 45°) angles - they make things appear flat and "in the box".

Concept. That's probably the biggest one... Why is the ghost depicted as a half human- half skeleton with no lower torso? Wesnothian ghosts are no skeletons. They are smoke-like and (in higher levels) use metal thingies (like masks and claws), think ringwraiths. Smoky etheral beings with a few rugs.

So: this sketch won't make it to mainline standart due to flaws in the basic stages - but you clearly have talent and motivation, just keep at it! :)
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I have indeed used Inkscape for my initial line drawing, however, I'm working in GIMP now for line thickening etc. As for the better & more accurate details in the hands, I have used my own hand for reference, and bones (unlike propertions ;)) I'm more familiar with, so a googled image of skeletal hand bones was enough to help out.

About the pose; initially I wanted to make him look like he was nearly fleeting, blown by some wind, that's why I let him hold his arms as if he was trying to hold still. I could either change that concept and let him be more static, rotated slightly, as in most other portraits, but I'll leave it up to tsi to make up a good pose :p

as for the concept, I think it should look like: Image

Anyway, I feel it'll be better to get back the drawing board, but, perhaps tsi would rather take a shot :p
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mathijs wrote:as for the concept, I think it should look like:
The portraits are supposed to reflect the sprites if you are doing this to mainline standards, as kitty pointed out, and so you should be taking your cues from the sprite. There is some artistic license to interpret it as you see fit, but you have to stay true to the major features of the unit.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

I don't seem so much contradiction. Ghosts faces are not seen in the sprite (only darkness). On the other side, I think I see grey hands that could be, or not, skeletical. I was assuming that the face and the hands would be very translucid in the final version, so I don't see it too inconsistent from the sprite.

I even recall that the old wraith or spectre had a skull for face.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War