Test of Swedish logo

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kess

Test of Swedish logo

Post by Kess »

Noticing caslav.ilic’ ImageLocalization article, I decided to try out more advanced stuff in the Gimp than I ever have before. ;)
logo-sv.png
logo-sv.png (68.68 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
I’m aware that Sgt. Groovy is in progress of vectorizing the logo and that there are artifacts in the image (from removing the original text, already in Chusslove’s template). Other than that, anyone willing to give me some idea on how to balance the text better? I think I might have tried to follow the original layout a tad too much. And there is also this nice shadow in the original...

Oh, I did one thing differently from the tutorial, I squased the text a little more horizontally, as to get it closer to the original.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: Test of Swedish logo

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Just keep the text and image on separate layers and you can replace the image with the new version once it's ready.

The composition looks pretty OK to me. The only thing I'm not sure about it is that the "p" and "e" in "Kampen" bump together. While the kerning is pretty tight overall, no other letters come that close together, so maybe a pixel or two in between would look better. On the other hand, there is lots of room for kerning between "o" and "m" in "om" if you need to keep the text to a certain lenght.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Come to think of it, while doing the vectorized logo, I should be able to make a filter that creates the same 3-d effect for the text. Then, people doing the localisation would only need to type out the text, maybe do some manual adjustement, but the effect would be created automatically and always exactly the same way. Also, much larger resolution versions (for posters/t-shirts) could be then rendered in any language. I think this would be the most sensible and consistent way to do this.

Anyway, here's a cleaner version of the old raster logo (the placement of the image is the same as on the old one, but it is not centered):
Attachments
logo-huge.png
logo-huge.png (48.23 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
caslav.ilic
Translator

Post by caslav.ilic »

Ahem, apparently the article was discovered before I was ready to use it as leverage for another go in this thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15. I'm in process of writting there another message.

As for the article, I've now replaced the original shield layer (hacked-and-pieced from bits by myself) in linked Gimp image with Sgt. Groovy's version. Updating wiki with better instructions (less steps, higher quality) for producing the text are certainly welcome.

Note, however, that last time there were objections to localizing images past artistic, so if they don't get cleared, this is job for naught.
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Kess

Post by Kess »

Thanks for all your comments. :)

Caslav, I’ve read that thread (I’m a long time lurker, both of forums and the wiki’s recent changes :wink:), and am aware of the volatile status of translatable images. I get a feeling this will be possible at some point in time, though. The above attempt was merely to try out your nice instructions (easy enough for a non-artsy being as me to follow) and see how such a logo could look in Swedish.