Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Nightmares

Post by Mefisto »

This could be great story image. It reminded me of Cheshire Cat and Alice. And the beast is great and creepy at the same time.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

True, there might be something to do about it. To say the least, I will probably recycle the background as generic story art in the future.
Anyway, here's the finished Jinx Beast. Same as the cat, I'll show a bit of ground when doing the final crop.

And while we'(re at it, the concept sheet for the "eye of disdain" line. Same as before, you can name your favourite(s) or pick those you don't like.
Thumbs #1-15 are for the L1 unit, and #16-30 for the L2-3. Though not obvious at this scale, changes include:
- bulkier body
- additional eyes/warts covering the body
- spikes/fleshy outgrowths around the main eye

I'm also note sure wether the things on top of the sprite are meant to be arms, tentacles, pedunculated eyes, ... So I did various attempts. Do tell if one is more fitting.
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_eye-disdain.jpg
Wesnoth_KoM_jinx-beast-study2.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

14, because it looks like it is doing something else than making an 'i am a spook' gesture with hands.
8, except that I am doubtful about looking upwards which looks submissive.
6 is interesting because the eyeball is turned and looks more live that way (except the hands with another 'spook' gesture).
4 looks sort of nice, as if saying: "I can do ballet."

Some of them look too much depressed/inactive imho.

23 looks like a good action pose, except the flower petals for the eyelashes.

I don't know if such side view is good for dialog with a not very talking-like creature, but 30 looks nice somehow, I don't know why, maybe because the hands are not making any obvious gesture.

( Slightly off-topic:
Would have suggested the eye to hop around on one leg, if it wasn't hopelessly late for that.
Tried the nightmares in game (replaced recruit list in an existing campaign) and liked the creatures very much. )
Attachments
a talking like gesture with the hands
a talking like gesture with the hands
gesture.jpeg (9.16 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

15, 18 and 22 are my nominees :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

My favourite Eyes of Disdain are 7, 9 and 14.

An I wouldn't be me if I didn't play with your fantastic picture. I happened to have a black cat in the past and it always impressed me how her eyes used to shine in the dark. I also added some orangeish tint to its mane.
Attachments
twocat-mod.jpg
twocat-mod.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Their eyes only shine if you point a light at them. That doesn't seem to be the case in this image.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Hi LordBob, thanks again for doing this :)
LordBob wrote:I'm also note sure wether the things on top of the sprite are meant to be arms, tentacles, pedunculated eyes, ... So I did various attempts. Do tell if one is more fitting.
Those are definitely arms. Both the way for them to be connected to the body and the structure of the "hands" in 1 and 2 is the closest from the sprite as I see it.
The idea that they would connect with shoulders as in 5 or 10 looks too much like an ape to me.
LordBob wrote:Image
Thumbs #1-15 are for the L1 unit, and #16-30 for the L2-3. Though not obvious at this scale, changes include:
- bulkier body
- additional eyes/warts covering the body
- spikes/fleshy outgrowths around the main eye
While I am at it, let me speak my mind on the sketches: 1,2, 12 ,14, 15 for level 1.

For the level 2, it has to be more heavy and sturdy than the level 1. Some of the sketches you present seems to go towards more agile unfortunately (as I read 23, 26, 29). This being said, I think 23 with stronger legs (a la 30), 24 or even an upgraded 19 would look great. I think the spiky effect of 17 is spot on. The half closed eye, feels to me like a reduction of power and thus is less desirable. HTH!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thank you for the information. I had done further sketching in the meantime, only more detailed and each with its evolved counterpart.
Next, I will further refine the concept based on your latest information. Expect new stuff soon!
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_eye-disdain-study2.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Tentative sketch for a final concept
Attachments
Wesnoth_KoM_eye-disdain-study3.jpg
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Is the lower level supposed to have two "eyes" above the real eye? Or "nostrils"?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

LordBob wrote:Tentative sketch for a final concept
The level 2 is looking great!

The level 1 on the other hand is a bit over the border between flesh and shell. I would believe they have a kind of flesh like the ghoul or what you have put around the wrist of the level 2. The proposal seems a bit close to a crab's shell.
You went for the most gracile alternative. In your previous sketch, the robust alternative 2 was closer to the sprite as I see it.
I trust your vision more than mine on this though :hmm:
homunculus wrote:Is the lower level supposed to have two "eyes" above the real eye? Or "nostrils"?
Those were introduced for team coloring purpose (I believe they are pimples).
I guess having them perfectly symmetrical above the eye would make it a real beauty of his kind.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Noted. I'll revise the L1 body and skin to remove crabshell hints.
However, I think it's best that we maintain a clear silhouette difference between L1 and L2. And since the major change is based on their stature, it will be easier to understand if the L1 is leaner, like a juvenile form of the fully matured L2.

About the pimples: when I first saw the sprites, I mistook them for small eyes much like a spider's, dispersed over the body to do the actual seeing while the main eye would have an entirely different purpose. Hence the symetry... I'll get rid of it.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I think that the creepiest pair of eyes was the first one, the hairy. This would be really disgusting - truly nightmarish like kind of larvae or parasites.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hey everyone. It's been a while, but I kept working. Here's the finished pic for the L1 eye. I'm now getting to the L2.
Attachments
Wesnoth_NoM_eye-disdain-study4.jpg
alluton

Post by alluton »

Fantastic. Looking forward to L2.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash