Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Skizzaltix

Re: Art for Descendant of the dragon

Post by Skizzaltix »

Oh--Sorry about that, the armor made me think "samurai" :oops:

You could use a naginata on horseback, but after every slash, you would have to draw it up again; I should think that the horse would prevent you from spinning it around to retain momentum :hmm:
I'm not sure, though--Let me see if I can find anything out online...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:You could use a naginata on horseback, but after every slash, you would have to draw it up again; I should think that the horse would prevent you from spinning it around to retain momentum
You spin it on foot to generate the momentum needed for such a long weapon. When mounted, the weapon now gets momentum from another source. Horsepower. ;)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

However, to use a slashing naginata-type pole weapon from horseback you'd need to swing it - if you use the horse to attack, you'll be using it primarily in a piercing capacity. You'd need a radically different design, and one which has not been used in history to the best of my knowledge, to attack with a bladed polearm from a horse...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Just shorten the damn thing :P
For the dark gods!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:However, to use a slashing naginata-type pole weapon from horseback you'd need to swing it - if you use the horse to attack, you'll be using it primarily in a piercing capacity. You'd need a radically different design, and one which has not been used in history to the best of my knowledge, to attack with a bladed polearm from a horse...
Sigh, take all the fun out of my jokes.

No, as Girgistian pointed out, it could be used effectively if the shaft was shortened to allow the rider to move it around effectively, at which point you might as well give him a sword for slashing or back to a Yari if you really want a long pole weapon.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

And a shortened naginata basically becomes a sword anyway :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hehe, and it seems the hilt is still too long for use on horseback ;)
as your link clearly says:
Traditionally, it was used as infantry weapon.
and traditions often make some sense in the one or other way
And...the dragon warrior line arent samurais...Im afraid so some fantasy should do the trick.
on the other hand i agree with this one too, in the one or other way. a mean looking poleweapon can still look good, so do whatever you want, in the end if it makes at least a little bit sense. you could make a mean looking yari-variation.

i have seen halberdiers with shields (dark army) in wesnoth (and used them in my SX maps too) so a cool looking rider with a naginata wouldn hurt either ;)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Still cant decide what to put on the dragon raider.
Here is preview of son of dragon what to add improve etc. is welcomed.

Edit:I cant figure out what weapon to give him, should I go with daikatana or weapon similar to flamberge?
Attachments
sonofdragon.png
sonofdragon.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Maybe a few other spots, but the plume from his helmet and his shoulderguard especially could stand to benefit from a greater variation in color/shading. They seem to be simply one color, which gives them a flat appearance.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

A daikatana could be good--Alternatively, how about a Jian? Very cool weapon, and a little closer to a Western sword in some ways :hmm:
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

A daikatana could be good--Alternatively, how about a Jian? Very cool weapon, and a little closer to a Western sword in some ways
Daikatana will fit more, Jian is a chinese weapon and I want the northeners to be more japanese like, dont worry southeners will have jian :) .
Maybe a few other spots, but the plume from his helmet and his shoulderguard especially could stand to benefit from a greater variation in color/shading. They seem to be simply one color, which gives them a flat appearance.
Tried to shade him and repaired the plume,but as I said earlier, I will shade them properly when they are done, these are just base frames, so critique of pose,hands,way of standing etc. would be in place.Thank you.
Attachments
sonofdragon.png
sonofdragon.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I'm not going to lie, between the top of his head down to his waist, I'm not really sure what is going on there at all. I can see the arm and the weapon held in it, but his head and upper body are not defined very well at all, which is only emphasized with the arm across his body.
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Hope he looks better and more defined.
Attachments
sonofdragon.png
sonofdragon.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
bonehead11

Post by bonehead11 »

Mounted samurai, how should I improve him advice is very welcomed.

Edit: Woops I forgot to add image :lol2: , how silly of me.
Attachments
mounted samurai.png
mounted samurai.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 2587 times