Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Some sketches

Post by Mefisto »

I made an updated version of tropical forest. The plain variant remained unchanged but I didn't like the sparse variant. When I made it slightly denser it appeared that it is almost undistinguishable from proper jungle. So I added more blue and purple bushes. I hope now it looks better. I also made sure that the "small" variants look properly when neighbouring the castles especially elvish and orcish keeps which take more space than the others.
I hope this can be considered the final version of tropical forest.
Attachments
tropical-demonstration.png
tropical-hills-villages.png
tropical-hills-castles.png
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

That looks excellent! The rework of the sparse tiles came out really nicely. For once even I have nothing to nitpick about. :P

Looking forward to seeing these in mainline. ^_^
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks. I'm afraid that the fine tuning is a never-ending task. I had to see the results on the other monitor to notice that my foliage could be less saturated because now it's hurting eyes. Like here? Or more?
Attachments
tropical-hills-villages-desaturated.png
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Mefisto wrote:Thanks. I'm afraid that the fine tuning is a never-ending task. I had to see the results on the other monitor to notice that my foliage could be less saturated because now it's hurting eyes. Like here? Or more?
a) G-reat.
b) It is very appropriate for tropical forest to have high contrast and high saturation. If at all, you might want to test the forest in a real scenario with units. Those are supposed to stand out through higher contrast among others, so maybe, just maybe, that could be a limiting factor for how far you can go.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

In the end I lessened saturation of green component by 20% (slightly less than in the picture abowe) an I think that for now it's enough. The trees now don't blend into green grass but still are as saturated as tropical water. I made some tests with units, especially elves. They are green and they tend to blend into the background. Well, I made only a superimposition in GIMP, not real test in game because for now I'm only able to use map editor from newer versions of the game. I have too outdated system. But I'll try to do something. There is a hope that I will learn WML - so far I managed to add some lines to terrain.cfg and terrain graphic.cfg so I can see my tiles in editor. Bu I need to know how to make transitions. I'm going to make rice field and I even started to make new tiles taking as an example farm vegetation. But most useful base tiles for this kind of cereal would be mud or mud covered by water (the ford tile is the ideal now) but there is no proper transition between mud and ford yet.

I also started to make some desert foliage for oases and atols. The results are below:
Attachments
atol.png
sandbox.png
oasis.png
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Since everyone seems to want the art in game, can you post the pngs for your latest revision?
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Here they come.
Attachments
tropical forest.zip
Pretty much final version.
(647.62 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
palms.zip
May be slightly redundant because I made separate tiles for beach sand and for desert.
(372.34 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Committed the tropical forest.

Due to the feature freeze, I can't do the palms right now, nor can I add a forested hill terrain to the editor.

You can still get forested tropical hills by holding shift when you paint the tropical forest with the editor.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

In case you wonder how it looks in-game:
tropical.png
tropical.png (325.63 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
For technical reasons*) with loyalists, not with elves.

Greetings

Lurker

*) I always misuse the first scenario of The South Guard for this kind of experiments.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Alarantalara - Thanks. Now I feel like a contributor.

Lurker - Thanks. Deoran is almost drowning in the foliage. Which gives quite natural impression. Health bars are clearly visible, crowns and balls too. Very good.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The new terrain is fine,
but it should not replace the old palm tree terrain.
The changes to the maps are too heavy.
I am fine with an additional terrain, but we are in string freeze.

So I request that the commit will be reverted and the new terrain has to wait for 1.11.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Mefisto in vegetative state

Post by Mefisto »

From some time I've been making vegetation. There is a reason - I plan to develop eventually a tropical campaign and I've been collecting the art for it (and learning how to tweak terrain.cfg and terrain-graphic.cfg to see them in editor). I started to make something that was intended to be a rice pad but came out rather like bean or carrot field... Well, nevermind. At least I managed to arrange them into neat rhombes. Ladies and gentelmen here is my alternative vegetation!
Attachments
guess_the_name.png
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I wasted the night because I wanted to upload my old paleolithic houses for Mountain King and had to make a small revision. Small changes became quite big but in the end the houses are ready to commit here.
Attachments
bones_and_hides.png
paleolithic set.tar.gz
(90.54 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I worked on paleolithic flag during last weekend. I think the new version is much improvement in comparison with the previous one. Now it look like this:
Attachments
dirty-paleo-village.gif
dirty-paleo-village.gif (453.99 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
snowy-paleo-village.gif
snowy-paleo-village.gif (377.88 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
paleo flag.tar.gz
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Mefisto wrote:...
I plan to develop eventually a tropical campaign and I've been collecting the art for it.
When making tropical maps I miss a mangrove swamp and mangrove wood terrain.

mangrove swamp would be a mixed terrain between swamp and forest while
mangrove wood would be a mixed terrain between shallow water and forest.