Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Mefisto in vegetative state

Post by Mefisto »

Hi, I'm new here. I wanted to say to all old and new artists making art for Wesnoth that their work is impressive. It inspired me to make some art too. I want to post some sketches: the Orc portrait, the fencer portrait and the sketch of Merman with mesh-like shield. I hope you will like it or just you'll find it worth of some comments.
Attachments
orc_male.png
orc_male.png (80.42 KiB) Viewed 10587 times
fencer_pose.png
fencer_pose.png (84.17 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
merman_shield_concept.png
merman_shield_concept.png (44.23 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
Last edited by Mefisto on February 14th, 2012, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Re: Some sketches

Post by JW »

Hey, I really like that shield idea for the merman! It makes sense that something like that would be used underwater to reduce the resistance of dragging it along. Very smart!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

welcome mephisto! wesnoth is always happy to get a new artist!

you show us some nice sketches! some comments on them:

- the orc head: technical aspect: portraits need to be waist-up, head only isn't enough. i like the general design but he seems much too calm for an orc. have a look at pickslide's old orc portraits. we would like to keep this as a basic guidline for the orcdesign.
- the fencer: my favourite of this bunch! i'd love to see some progress on him!
- the merman: have a look at this new mermen sprites by jetryl - they have a distinct greek-roman theme. and remember: waist up!

now we'll have to see how good your inking and colouring are! :D

i look forward to seeing more from you!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Aww man, that shield is worth editing the sprite for. Please keep working on these.

- Chris
JW

Post by JW »

Thumper wrote:Aww man, that shield is worth editing the sprite for. Please keep working on these.

- Chris
I kinda almost agree....but I know how much of a pain that could be so I wouldn't ask such a thing. :shock:
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Um, the shield's certainly a clever gimmick, but it's not going to be so hot against piercing weapons. Like spears and arrows. And piercing weapons (harpoons and the like) also work well under water so they'd be popular choices among merfolk, reducing the value of a shield like this. Defensively, I would expect underwater critters to tend to prefer nets, main gauches and that sort of thing.

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Well perhaps they put chainmail over the shield. It still allows water flow but helps stop pierce weapons. (not after it rips but it's better then nothing.)
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Simons Mith wrote:Um, the shield's certainly a clever gimmick, but it's not going to be so hot against piercing weapons. Like spears and arrows. And piercing weapons (harpoons and the like) also work well under water so they'd be popular choices among merfolk, reducing the value of a shield like this. Defensively, I would expect underwater critters to tend to prefer nets, main gauches and that sort of thing.
Oh yes, these would be great if thinking about bigger changes. But we're talking about the reality of the current sprites, which are using broadswords and half plate.

- Chris
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Many thanks for comments. Especially I'm glad that I earned Kitty's appreciation. Well, I'm going to attach two more orcish heads. These are just propositions: I want to see if they are good enough - not too simian not too humanlike. If they are approved, I'm going to make sketches for at least three different orcish warlords, as Girgistian and Thespaceinvader already begun with orcish Grunts. I've got a question about orcish eyes: should they have round pupils or slit-like ones? As far as I know wesnothian orcs are nocturnal creatures. Then: do the orcs see as many colours as humans? If yes, their warlords could have really colorful clothes and weapon ornaments and dyed hair. If not, they could be more inclined to precise stylised ornaments and they would like materials with contrasting patterns - for example furs of tigers or saurian hide :)

About Fencer: does Fencer have any hat? I'm afraid that in my sketch I mixed Fencer with Duelist. I have begun inking the Fencer already and I think that the inked version of fencer portrait will be ready till sunday. This is my priority. Alas I'm not quick with computer graphic and I'm not as good at in as in manual skething, but I'll do my best.

About merman's shield: that was only the wild idea how should merman's shield look like. Yes, I wanted to design something not resistant and usable underwated, good against the tridents. But this was only a fun. I'm not going to do anything with mermen in the near future, at least until I finish the fencer and make real progress with orcs.
Attachments
orc_head_1.png
orc_head_1.png (68.73 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
orc_head_2.png
orc_head_2.png (53.02 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

1 looks great, though maybe without the split upper lip.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Proper stuff, except the hairdo on orc head 1 is way too 80's.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Proper stuff, except the hairdo on orc head 1 is way too 80's.
They are orcs, they are always going to lag behind humans and other races. ;)

Great work so far, Mefisto, it's nice to have another artist willing to learn and develop into the Wesnoth style. Hopefully your colored portraits turn out just as good as your sketches did.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

The ornaments shouldn't probably be too colourful, but I really like the idea of saurian hides and other things like that. Also, we used furs and tribal stuff with the son of the black eye campaign-portraits, so I suggest something similar for the warlords. I've also had my mind on the orcish costuming, and the most fitting style I've come up with is something similar to Siberian aborigines - decoration is mostly made up of bones, fur and iron jewelry. Feel free to bring up new ideas, though, this is just what I came up with.

Also, the description of orcs as a race mentions that they care very little for their appearance, so too "rich" ornaments are kind of out of question.
For the dark gods!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

nice new sketches, i don't think they are too simian or human. i would just like to see more expression. the second's hairstyle looks very well-behaved to me, but the unit will wear a helmet most likely, so it won't matter much.
the pupils aren't defined yet - if you are the one who will finish a mainline generic orc portrait (in an acceptable quality and style) first, you are the one to define it. and girgistan already mentioned that the description of the orcs doesn't agree with to much ornament, decoration and bling - rather think utilizable, battle worn and not very cared for.

for the exact look of units best have a look at the unit reference: http://www.wesnoth.org/units/1.5.6/C/mainline.html

the fencer doesn't have a hat, but his advancements do. so your sketch could work as a duelist, or you could make one portrait for the whole tree fitting all three units roughly.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Enter Fencer

Post by Mefisto »

OK. So now I know more less how the orcish warlords should look like. They wouldn't wear anything that would show their wealth. Only something showing their force i battle skills like furs and saurian hides, maybe some dragon scales. Maybe some war make-up, some tatoo and scars. Tribal signs. And they should be about 30-40 years old: experienced, skilled and respected warriors. Maybe one younger, talented leader. No old or senile warlord - only shamans would live so long. I begin to sketch.

About fencer: I made the first inked version, without the hat. I gave him two sabres because the weapon that the sprite is wielding looks like it is broad and slightly curved, not like spades. But I can change this.
Attachments
fencer 0.1.png
fencer 0.1.png (69.05 KiB) Viewed 9793 times