Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Some sketches

Post by Mefisto »

Turuk wrote:For your anatomy: Troll for a Troll
... showing impressive upper back and neck muscles that would not be visible (see image) as the same time that the pec is being pulled backwards.
I didn't intend to portrait the troll as a human bodybuilder with pointy ears. The impressive long and muscular neck is an anatomical feature I drew to differentiate a troll from human anatomy.
the ridges seen below his left (our right) pectoral seem so odd. As seen in the above image, even on a massively muscled creature, those are formed by the ribs,
Wrong. This is a serratus anterior muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray411.png
http://www.utexas.edu/courses/citylife/ ... okoon1.JPG

The bodybuilders have them overly developed so you cannot see the ribs in their body.

http://images33.fotosik.pl/358/565249b63fe02c89.jpg

Besides, as my troll is not a human, I gave him more "dents" of this muscle visible below pectoralis major muscle.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mefisto wrote:I didn't intend to portrait the troll as a human bodybuilder with pointy ears. The impressive long and muscular neck is an anatomical feature I drew to differentiate a troll from human anatomy.
Right, but I was still drawing comparison between how muscles fit together and function over bones, which is something that I imagined trolls had in common with humans.
Mefisto wrote:Wrong. This is a serratus anterior muscle.
I was not saying it was not a muscle, but I was unclear. Those muscles that form those ridges sit over the ribs, as is outlined in the diagram you provided, and so, as I stated, would not slope upward as much since their shape is formed by the ribs.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Well I searched more and I see that you have been right. I wanted to shape the troll like some kind of crossbreed of human and gorilla - that's why I gwanted to give him a very strong neck. But I found some excellent pictures:
http://image08.webshots.com/8/8/90/71/1 ... Xok_ph.jpg
https://cghub.com/files/Image/3851/image.jpg

and now it's clear that even with his hunch the gorilla doesn't have so broad neck muscles. You were also right about this serratus anterior. I'll fix it.

Well, the second image would be useful also for shaping the whelp.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed, gorrillas have very little neck at all. Nor do bodybuilders - the muscles get in the way...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

It was Goku who was very muscular and had a giant neck.

People like the one of the photograph make me scare of physical exercise.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord Ork wrote:People like the one of the photograph make me scare of physical exercise.
Nah, just avoid steroids.

Also, for the hammer, I prefer the angular one but that's solely because I like the broken-off part at the top as well. Just makes me think the troll crammed the weapon head down on the best looking branch he could find and was happy.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I will probably make another topic for trolls and another for houses. Right now I have a troll with basic shading and enhanced paleolithic houses. I'm thinking about making also troll's nests with piles of gold.
Attachments
basic shading, no highlights yet
basic shading, no highlights yet
left column: summer verion<br />middle column: abandoned buildings<br />right column: winter version
left column: summer verion
middle column: abandoned buildings
right column: winter version
paleolithic houses extended.png (46.55 KiB) Viewed 23053 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

With a little refinement, I think those houses could probably go mainline - you need a little more sharpness and outlining one them, i think, though. The snowy version is pretty much sorted. But i think the abandoned ones would be better a little more broken-down.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Like this?
Attachments
paleolithic houses extended - 2.0.png
paleolithic houses extended - 2.0.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 23004 times
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Those houses look awesome :D

The one's with the hide-roofs (the left-most side) are still a little bit too painterly for wesnoth graphics - if you can sharpen the roofs and make it seem more pixelated (like the sprites), they should be there. You can achieve the pixely look by just using the pencil tool instead of the brush tool. The orange-ish/light brown parts are the ones that need the most pixelating.

The lighter parts, like the supporting pieces of wood and the walls in general also require a bit darker and somewhat clear, defined outlines. You should also get rid of single stray pixels floating around the abandoned houses. They'd need to be lit up somewhat so that they're not too much in contrast with the rest of the building's colour.

Anyways, good work - It'd be great to see these mainlined.
For the dark gods!
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

That's not wood. That's bones. These huts are for tundra/plains/forestless environment, where you can find the megafauna. I don't know if some mammoths live in Wesnoth, but maybe they have some equivalent.

I'm going to make also some huts with wooden skeleton, like longhouses or yurts.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

you're doing a good job regarding the archeological correctness here :D
Perhaps make the tops of the bones whitischer, the bases are 'dirty' whil the tops should be fairly unaffected...
Don't make them look very brown, because only older bones look like that, and they're more likely recent ones...

As for the troll, the color is off, it should be gray, unless someone corrects me. Also the lines seem rather thick in certain places... perhaps an artist can 'shed some light' there...
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

OK. I enhanced slightly the houses - a few tweaks with shadows, pixellization of roofs and making the bone cover of the walls more clear. I think its good enough.
I also tried to make a flag in style but the animation went out crappy. Still I post it so you can tell me how do you like the idea.

And I didn't forget about orcs. I drew a quick sketch of the new warlord with the bow this time. Maybe i will look better than previous. Tell me how do you like the pose.
Attachments
paleolithic houses extended - 3.0.png
paleolithic houses extended - 3.0.png (48.42 KiB) Viewed 22827 times
flaga72.gif
flaga72.gif (2.08 KiB) Viewed 22784 times
warlord5.jpg
warlord5.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 22788 times
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

I find it very good if you rotate it a little. Right now it seems about to fall.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Lord Ork wrote:I find it very good if you rotate it a little. Right now it seems about to fall.
Jup, he's missing some support at his left side (our right side), easy to fix