Woodmouse's art stuff [random stuff, page 49]

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by woodmouse »

homunculus wrote:the right eyeball is cute.
if you should ever change the size of it, i hope it will remain in the same location ; )
Eh... What?
homunculus wrote:
em3 wrote:[...]I just wanted to critique constructively.
hasn't anyone told you that you should read the whole thread before you post?
all those 47 pages of posts, every single one of them.
woodmouse wrote:[...]I find constructive criticism more annoying than rude and unconstructive[...]
That was then... You're the one who doesn't seem to read whole threads:
I wrote:but if you help me improve, it'd be nice if you give C&C.
Check out my sprites!
homunculus

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by homunculus »

woodmouse wrote:
homunculus wrote:the right eyeball is cute.
if you should ever change the size of it, i hope it will remain in the same location ; )
Eh... What?
i meant that the in-game image has team orb in such location that it exactly covers the right eye.
it looked funny, and i thought it was nice.

as for reading 47 pages of comments.
if i were supposed to read 47 pages before posting some one-liner, i would probably not post it at all.
i was bit sarcastic about this requirement.
nice that you clarified about c&c, though.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
ael193

Re: Woodmouse's sprites [Treeguy, page 47]

Post by ael193 »

wow, woodmouse, you've come a long long way from when you first showed up. congratulations, this stuff is pretty good.
IPS

Post by IPS »

woodmouse wrote:I tested ingame and... LOL.
em3 wrote:I think someone somewhere said that the new fire dragon sprite will mark the upper limit of how big a sprite should be.

Also, the shadow is in totally wrong direction. It should be below/behind - not in front.
Hmm, well, I don't think the shadow and size actually matter as this won't be used anywhere. It's kinda like practice.
lol, that unit likes to ocupate more than a square. It need to be smaller maybe or be just a portrait maybe. If there was not the hp bar and the red ball it must be hard to see in what square it's on.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

:roll:
IPS, woodmouse said himself that it was only for practice. He didn't intend to really use it in-game, so that's a completely pointless remark AFAIK.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Tet

Post by Tet »

Hey Woody, I liked your tweaked troll hero. Really good. You still getting better every month.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

So I won't clutter the off topic art thread, I'll post this here. First pixel art thing I've done in like two months and I might've gotten better while doing all kinds of different stuff. :P

PS: btw, is everything posted here automatically GPL-licensed? Because that'd suck a contrabass... and can non-Wesnoth stuff be posted, to get C&C for future stuff?
Check out my sprites!
Reepurr

Re: Woodmouse's sprites [Ganesha, page 48]

Post by Reepurr »

Oh. That Ganesha.

/me sees everything shaded as tubes.
I can't really tell you how you should be shading this thing instead of like that, but somehow, it looks wrong. Every body part seems like some sort of tube or sphere. Also, there's pillowing on some parts, and also multiple light sources that make things confusing. Three at least, and everything around Ganesha looks kind of odd and either pillowed or unshaded. Though I like the grass.

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Who says multiple light sources would be bad? :o And yeah, they are pretty tube-like, which I tried to obscure with the useless dithering in the limbs and stomach... and obviously failed because you just saw it. :lol:
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No, things aren't GPL licensed unless you want them to be. If you're concerned, you're welcome to use your own hosting.

Your shading is improving, but you still need to pay more attention to anatomy. Elbows, for instance.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Definite improvement here. There's waaaay too much unnecessary dithering though and the interesting texture of the grass looks kinda like you used a brush and color-reduce or something.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Zerovirus wrote:Definite improvement here. There's waaaay too much unnecessary dithering though and the interesting texture of the grass looks kinda like you used a brush and color-reduce or something.
I did the grass with a custom brush I made for making grass.....and yeah, now that I can do dithering, I use it in every possible place... :?
thespaceinvader wrote:Your shading is improving, but you still need to pay more attention to anatomy. Elbows, for instance.
Yeah... although I have no idea how to... I mean, I couldn't find a good reference picture of an arm in that position (if you meant the upper right arm?), probably because it's not a very natural pose, when not holding anything... :lol:
thespaceinvader wrote:No, things aren't GPL licensed unless you want them to be. If you're concerned, you're welcome to use your own hosting.
Good... otherwise I'd have to scream of the unimaginable pain that it'd cause to my middle toe. 8)
Attachments
gnpiagsg.png
gnpiagsg.png (451 Bytes) Viewed 3617 times
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

woodmouse wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:Your shading is improving, but you still need to pay more attention to anatomy. Elbows, for instance.
Yeah... although I have no idea how to... I mean, I couldn't find a good reference picture of an arm in that position (if you meant the upper right arm?), probably because it's not a very natural pose, when not holding anything... :lol:
Mirror. Or digital camera with timer. Reference material is easy to make when it's of humanoid anatomy.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The arms need a lot of work on the shape and general anatomy. Of course, his top-right one has no elbow wathsoever. Also, both left arms and the top-right ones have pretty tubby forearms and doubtful wrists and the bottom-right arm's forearm is pretty small. I suppose it must be foreshortening, but it feels weird. I'd also mention bottom-right's shoulder overlaps top-right's, and is different from the left arms.

On a related note, while reference is a vital first step, something you can do afterwards to help spot mistakes is look at your art in a mirror. I know it sounds weird, but it has helped me a lot, strangely (although it might be harder to pull off with computer art than with pen and paper art).

On the plus side, I think the head is cool and the body/legs feel fine :) Just don't be discouraged by the necessary hard work; in the end, it's rewarding.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I was the same way when I discovered dithering. Used it on everything. Every single shade I did was dithered.
Of course, then I read some more about art, and I discovered dithering should generally only be used when applying a texture, because that's what it is, as we can happily use a large colour scale now and there is no need to limit ourselves to one or two colours and have to dither.

It's fun though.

Tweakment on the tube stuffs. While you're very good at making plain surfaces (I think), it's probably a good idea to put more obvious 'ripples' in fabric and things. I guess.
Don't ask me what I was doing with those legs...I don't know myself...
Don't ask me what I was doing with those legs...I don't know myself...
ganesha.png (17.43 KiB) Viewed 3586 times