Woodmouse's art stuff [random stuff, page 49]

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by woodmouse »

Zerovirus wrote:I have to agree with Melinath's first sentiment, that this is the best sprite you've made so far. I've read this entire thread (ugh) and you've come a long way. Your recent sprites are much better than the older work you've done.
Thanks. :D Heh, reading this thread is a horrible pain! :lol2:
Zerovirus wrote:I'm not sure if I can talk, seeing as you've obviously been here waayyy longer than I have, but dang did you fail at art back in the first 5 pages of this thread. :P
You can talk, of course. Because I DID fail. And I still fail at portraits... You better not read my portrait thread if you want to spare your eyes... (but check the last page if you want to see the horror of the unfinished spearman, lol)
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22269
Check out my sprites!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Oh, I did. My first impression was "is he some sort of a zombie wearing a face-skin mask?"

So... Yeah.

You are impressive, though, simply by sheer persistence. Any lesser would have said "screw this I sux at art boohoo" and quit. You've been working, improving, and continuing for an entire... 34 pages. Now if only you'd finish any of your sprites...
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Zerovirus wrote:Oh, I did. My first impression was "is he some sort of a zombie wearing a face-skin mask?"

So... Yeah.

You are impressive, though, simply by sheer persistence. Any lesser would have said "screw this I sux at art boohoo" and quit. You've been working, improving, and continuing for an entire... 34 pages. Now if only you'd finish any of your sprites...
...I consider many of them finished, LOL. :lol2:
Check out my sprites!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

And that's tha problem thar. You should continue working on a single sprite until it's mainline-quality; right now what you have is an entire thread of ragtag half-baked sprites with so much potential it irritates the entire art division of Wesnoth to see you quit working on them before we're satisfied.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

It spits.
Yeah, I know people think I abandoned working on the Mudcrawler... I didn't, though. I just do stuff veeeeery slowly. Is this better (and more solid) than the earlier attempt?
Check out my sprites!
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Why does he close his eyes? Don't you think it'd be easier to aim with your eyes open?
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

aah-choo
No this is not spam. That's what it looks like.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Gambit wrote:aah-choo
No this is not spam. That's what it looks like.
At least he's sneezing with rhythm.
I can't see that many problems, but as mud, I'd think that as it moves, it would jiggle and slosh a bit more than that?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

What Frogger5 said, and also, as it is, the movement is a little...bland. If it's spitting the mud, how about giving it a huge windup where it pulls back and opens its mouth wide before swinging forward again to spit? That could look very nice. Having it rise up as it pulled back would be good, too...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Remember the tutorial about only moving the active element - the whole thing needs to move and animate - sloshing about. If it's made of fluid mud, it needs to react like fluid - imagine a jelly/jello that shape, and think how it would move when you slapped one side of it...the base woudl probably stay roughly in place, but the whole thing would flex around it, and ripples would pass through it. Now consider that the mudcrawler would be made of a high-density suspension, like thick custard or cornflour/cornstarch paste, which is more mobile and liquid than jelly/jello.

It's a good try, but you need to think more about the motion and kinematics of the animation.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Skizzaltix wrote:What Frogger5 said, and also, as it is, the movement is a little...bland. If it's spitting the mud, how about giving it a huge windup where it pulls back and opens its mouth wide before swinging forward again to spit? That could look very nice. Having it rise up as it pulled back would be good, too...
You want him to give it that "IMA FIRIN' MAH LAZORZ!!!" face?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Someone tried that once with the White Mage. Sadly it was moved to off-topic and auto-pruned, and during a routine computer wipe to clear Windows Rot he accidentally forgot to backup the My Pictures Folder.
It was a great first post though.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm. Okay, I'll make him inhale and slossle. :)
And maybe a joke with "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!!!" face or something.
Check out my sprites!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Ok, I thought that I'd push the Mudcrawler's anim a little later... Not much, just a little. Because...
I was reading the thread of what needs work, and saw the Ancient Lich still needs a new base frame, I just couldn't resist...
Is this good enough to get in mainline? (probably isn't, though...)
I know it's huge, but... but... It's Ancient Lich...
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It is still a bit huge, and quite grainy, but your sprite work is definitely improving. Nice job.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.