Woodmouse's art stuff [random stuff, page 49]

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Longbow

Re: Woodmouse's sprites

Post by Longbow »

I think it should probably be more consistent with the red (not orange) dragon in this shot, because that seems the most likely fire-dragon redo.

You also probably need to anti-aliase or whatever it is called to smooth the edges, though maybe that's ok until you decide on a finalised shape/start shading.
Attachments
eternal-size.jpg
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

I wonder if you are going to finish any of the sprites you've made, by taking our advice into account, or you are just trying to increase your post and attachment counts.
I got better!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ShikadiLord wrote:I wonder if you are going to finish any of the sprites you've made, by taking our advice into account, or you are just trying to increase your post and attachment counts.
I was wondering the same thing myself...

You currently have the back legs positioned fine, but the front legs seem as if the dragon is lowering itself to the ground, you need to make their angles more like those in the image Longbow attached. Also, your wings do not look like wings really because they are drawn as if the underside and the top of the wing are both seen from a straight on perspective. Try to draw them so that the visible portions convey a sense of curved shape to the wings. This would be later emphasized by shading.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Turuk wrote:
ShikadiLord wrote:I wonder if you are going to finish any of the sprites you've made, by taking our advice into account, or you are just trying to increase your post and attachment counts.
I was wondering the same thing myself...
Umm, I'm not trying to increase my post count... It's just that I get new sprite ideas, and etc., so I really can't finish the old ones. :(
And I will finish this dragon, btw.
Turuk wrote:You currently have the back legs positioned fine, but the front legs seem as if the dragon is lowering itself to the ground, you need to make their angles more like those in the image Longbow attached. Also, your wings do not look like wings really because they are drawn as if the underside and the top of the wing are both seen from a straight on perspective. Try to draw them so that the visible portions convey a sense of curved shape to the wings. This would be later emphasized by shading.
Is this better? :)
Check out my sprites!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

woodmouse wrote:Is this better?
A bit, adding some muscle definition when you do the shading will help to better emphasize how his legs are positioned as well, as he currently seems to be stretching up a bit on his front legs.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

So, do I start shading it now? Or would it be too early?
Check out my sprites!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Check the size etc. by putting it ingame first. I must say though, it is much bigger than all of the villages...
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

But it's meant to be that big... :?
I haven't checked it ingame, but I don't know how it could be too big. I don't know any simple way to check how it looks ingame... :(
Check out my sprites!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Change the base image for a current unit, or piut it in one of your gazillion campaigns :S
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Take a normal unit's .cfg and edit the image= to put in the name of your image file. Then place that image in the images folder where the original image for the unit you modified can be found.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Uh-oh. It's quite big. :shock:
Check out my sprites!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed, you have created a multiple hex monstrosity. As noted in the discussion in the fire dragon thread about unit size, having the unit extend out of it's hex by a bit is alright given certain creatures, but it should not be covering most of the images of other units.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

So I should probably make a new one. I start tomorrow.
Check out my sprites!
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

So make that post once youve started tommorow :S
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Here is a mud monster I did some time ago. xD
C&C?
Check out my sprites!