Neoskel's sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Exasperation

Re: Neoskel's sprites

Post by Exasperation »

Zerovirus wrote:Maybe you could make him actually point his arm straight south instead of him just loosely holding the gun in a downwards direction? I'm sure when you shoot you actually point your arm in the direction you're shooting at.

And having a better perspective would help. He looks like he's hanging the gun on his hands not pointing it at someone in a most piratish way.
His forearm is in line with the barrel of the gun, actually (or as close as I could make it). If you compare this frame to the base frame, he turns his arm at the elbow to point south instead of east. It may be foreshortened too much, but it is turned that way. I could probably have him holding his arm straight out from the shoulder, but shooting from the hip seemed more appropriate for him.

As for the perspective, I'm a little bit trapped there since I'm just putting these together from parts of existing units. What, exactly, would make the gun seem less tacked on? Since his forearm is in line with the gun, the handle of it is obscured by his hand and forearm - I can't do much with that. The barrel is just a slightly shorter version of the thunderer's south-facing gun (since it's one-handed instead of two-handed).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Changing the angle of his body would help, o that he's crouching down to some extent.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

OK, I made an attempt at turning his torso (and head) a little to his right from where they were. This any better?
Starboard it is!
Starboard it is!
bone-pirate-ranged-attack-s-take2.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
PS - Neoskel: would you prefer it if I moved these animations into a new thread? When it was just 1-2 posts I figured it wouldn't make a difference, but if people are going to start giving me advice I don't want to clutter up your thread.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Exasperation wrote:OK, I made an attempt at turning his torso (and head) a little to his right from where they were. This any better?
bone-pirate-ranged-attack-s-take2.png
PS - Neoskel: would you prefer it if I moved these animations into a new thread? When it was just 1-2 posts I figured it wouldn't make a difference, but if people are going to start giving me advice I don't want to clutter up your thread.
This is a bit of a conundrum. I mean, i made two sprites so far. Two! Now there's talk of campaigns and what's looking to be a full range of animations for them. These aren't even finalized sprites for in-game use as far as i'm concerned. I want to change some weapons and swashy really needs something more lvl 2ish in garb, he's gonna get a vest and i want to switch the dagger for a belaying pin for a blunt attack. Also i kinda want to do the first pirate with a crossbow instead of a gun so it will gel better with mainline stuff and be usable for some potentially mainline campaign.

Now here's what i suggest we do. Since there is definitely demand for these guys in a campaign with thematically piratical gear (guns), i'll make a new art thread and we post all skeletal pirate stuff there. Then we will wait for someone to approach us who is interested in writing a thematically piratical, non-mainline compatible campaign for them. This will include non-skeletal pirates and various nautical monsters to act as foes for our boney buccaneers.

I'm also going to post more mainline compatible versions of skelly pirates in that thread. This is my random art thread, and these guys are no longer random art.

Edit: Avast, here be the thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26664 Post there. This means you and your word sacrifices too Hroppa. :wink:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Yo.

Zombie Troll Jazz Hands.

That is all.
Attachments
Brains, brains, it's okay. It's not a matter if it isn't gray...
Brains, brains, it's okay. It's not a matter if it isn't gray...
soulless-troll-jazzhands.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Last edited by Neoskel on October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

more like zombie-troll-cyclope-rapper-in-Chaplin-hat (sowwy i dunno Jazzhands) O.o and it seems like an attack frame isnt it? nice piece of funart :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

StDrake wrote:more like zombie-troll-cyclope-rapper-in-Chaplin-hat (sowwy i dunno Jazzhands) O.o and it seems like an attack frame isnt it? nice piece of funart :D
It's actually an edit of the troll soulless' south attack frame.
Huh, it does kinda look like a cyclops with that highlight between the eyes.

Wikipedia is your friend: Jazz Hands
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Blah.
Attachments
i have way too many limbs for how small i am...
i have way too many limbs for how small i am...
bugdude.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It's a bug. It looks nice, but a little muddled. Maybe if you made the limbs a lighter or yellower shade, it would be more defined?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Capital idea. Did the head too so the limbs don't look as out of place.

Also, something boney.
Attachments
*crick* *crack* *crick*
*crick* *crack* *crick*
skelething.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Boycott bugspray!
Boycott bugspray!
bugdude3.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 3414 times