Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: Minotaur Artwork Revised

Post by Quietus »

Ah thankyou very much. Ill have the remaining four sprites done by the end of tommorow
dontano wrote:I can do the Ancient Behemoth for you, after all. I can pick the same palettes of one of your units, and just edit it.
PS: The Kusarigama is awesome. I'm using the same concepts for one of my Ninjas (Japan Era, works for myself).
Sure feel free. Im going to do him as well, as I have a good idea of what he will look like. But even if I dont use yours, i could still find some use for him. :)
dontano

Post by dontano »

It still needs some polishing, but... do you like my little pet? :D

Note: It is obviously a brute version of the behemoth you drew, but I decided to put it here the same, just because I wanted to show it to the community. I will do another Ancient Behemoth if you wish.
Attachments
Hair and other parts need to be shaded.<br />Note: it may not suit with your concepts, but it's just for show.
Hair and other parts need to be shaded.
Note: it may not suit with your concepts, but it's just for show.
ancient_behemoth.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

To big far to big. :augh:
dontano

Post by dontano »

Yeah. :mrgreen: In fact, when I talked about "polishing the pet", I also meant to scale it down when it's done at 100%. But... how does it look? :roll:
Edit, 20:42 Sept 11, 2008

Code: Select all

Polished parts:
-Hair is a bit shaded in version 2;
-Added team color and minor armored body parts;
-Under-layered shadow has been added;
-Available in 2 versions for dimensions issues;
-Version 2's Behemoth is at 64x64, instead of 72x72 (v1).
Attachments
version 2 (don't bother the file-names)
version 2 (don't bother the file-names)
ancient_behemoth_v4.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
version 1 (don't bother the file-names)
version 1 (don't bother the file-names)
ancient_behemoth_v3.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Although that Ancient Behemoth is nice its pose seems a bit unstable...
dontano

Post by dontano »

Espreon wrote:Although that Ancient Behemoth is nice its pose seems a bit unstable...
He's like running and landing, at the same time.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Hey, thats not bad :) , though not entirly how i imagined it. The head looks great, but the pose is a little too dynamic. I usually prefer stable stances. Though it looks remarkably familiar :hmm: Is this entirly your creation? Im not trying to take anything away from you, just I swear ive seen something like it before.

Though Please feel free to slap this senile old man if he is mistaken 8)
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

its bigger than the hex.
dontano wrote:Final Fantasy sprites are good training, you know? Learning from good ol' sprite masters is a nice way to improve our artistic abilities.
Another thing is that you can see a bit its skill level with a little help of the graphic lybrary.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Contrib:Dontano

As you can see on these, all its sprites are on the correct "view angle" and useable, but far from this one.

http://wesnoth.dbzer0.com/gallery/d/9162-2/Dontano.png <-- this is decent too.

Also its level is shown like these ones

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 99#p306199

In the end, if he drawed it himself , he would have used wesnoth perspective but that minotaur doesn't follow it, and that's makes it highly suspicious, epsecially with how hard is to draw decent feets and hands.

Obviously, he can prove me wrong. (after all a spriter that has that skill level shouldn't have problems to draw it in a different perspective more akin to wesnoth)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Im not going to say that he stole it, because im sure he didnt. But he said Final Fantasy Sprites are good training, and I jsut wanted to know if perhaps he frankensteined parts from other sprites. Im not sure what the legal issues are with using parts of non GPL sprites with parts of your own creation.

EDIT: on a side note... Guan Yu kicks ass :twisted:
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Umm, sorry Dontano, but I NEED to agree Quietus's earlier post. I mean, that's really cool, but I have seen it somewhere... I mean, if not that exact thing, then something that was 99% the same... Sorry again, but I think it is edited from somthing... :( If not, then... hmmm... Weird
Check out my sprites!
ael193

Post by ael193 »

Looks vaguely familiar to me too, but There's no reason to assume he stole it. I've drawn things that looked amazingly similar to other peoples art or stuff from Tv shows and games I'd never seen. I've "made up songs" while playing my cello and it turned out it was almost identical to a song I'd played years ago; he could have been subconsciously drawing from a memory of something he saw. I think it looks cool, but I actually like Quietus's original sprite from the old minotaurs best.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

ael193 wrote:Looks vaguely familiar to me too, but There's no reason to assume he stole it.
I dont think anyone is going as far as to say he stole it. Im just curious as to whether it is a fankestien of something else, or whether it is completly unique.

EDIT: the main reason I am curious is because in all the final fantasy sprites upto VI (behemoth sprites) use those tales with the spikes
dontano

Post by dontano »

Look... I have the sprite of SrBehemoth (FFVI), but as you can see it's in a completely different pose. I only toke it as a reference and I drew that thing. The Behemoth appeared as a regular monster after FFVI, so it couldn't be possible to stole 3D models of the future FFs. :wink:
The Palettes that I used are taken from the Behemoth you posted, along with the team colors. Other than that, I didn't stole anything in particular.
Edit: IMO, the mouth that I drew looks weird. It's since the first time that I don't like it at all... what can I do to improve it?

PS to Quietus: Are you a Shin Sangokumusō (Dynasty Warriors) fan too? :D
Attachments
Ancient Behemoth
Ancient Behemoth
ancient_behemoth_v4.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
King Behemoth
King Behemoth
SrBehemoth.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm... Oooh. That's cool. I mean, you didn't frankie it! :D You're reaaallly good making sprites, it seems! :D I mean, I don't think that's what I was thinking that looked like that, but anyway! :D But I still am sure I have seen something that is waaaaay too similar to that one; maybe the pose only, but antway. I can say for sure it wasn't an ff sprite what I remember. It's somewhere... If I find it do I post it here?
Check out my sprites!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

U ''made'' this sprite didn't u?
Attachments
Tyranosaur.gif
Tyranosaur.gif (2.36 KiB) Viewed 4471 times
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era