Corvvs' Art Thread (all stills made, tweaking them.)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Corvvs

Corvvs' Art Thread (all stills made, tweaking them.)

Post by Corvvs »

Well, well, well, it's back. I've been working on an Arendian falcon, (sanctioned by Turin), and are the first three frames:

it's gonna have a constant animation like bats (standing anim?) in which the wings flap

I'm worried that they look a bit flat: should I just shade more? Or use more contrast with my current level of shading?

EDIT: it seems I could make this a sticky. Tempting, but somehow I sense this is a bug. Off to tech support.
Attachments
Frame 3, wings fully raised.
Frame 3, wings fully raised.
falcon3.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Frame 2, lifting wings up and back a bit.
Frame 2, lifting wings up and back a bit.
falcon2.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Frame one, nominal base frame.
Frame one, nominal base frame.
Falcon.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Last edited by Corvvs on August 21st, 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Corvvs

Re: Corvvs' Art Thread (currnetly Arendians; Monsters on hold.)

Post by Corvvs »

Here are the monsters: I have to double post because of the 3 post limit. Note: these are on hold, so I will not be modifying them, just putting them back up so others can use them if they want to, though I doubt anyone will.
Attachments
Bear thingy, frankensteined from a sprite I drew a while back. (that's why the file name is manticore)
Bear thingy, frankensteined from a sprite I drew a while back. (that's why the file name is manticore)
manticore.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
Incomplete tree, need to add bear-thing line and wyvern line.
Incomplete tree, need to add bear-thing line and wyvern line.
monstertree.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

woodmouse

Re: Corvvs' Art Thread (currently Arendians; Monsters on hold.)

Post by woodmouse »

Hmm, those are really cool. But I think the falcon needs to be bigger, but I'm not sure, though.
Check out my sprites!
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

The falcon looks, if anything, to big to me.

p.s. Monsters on hold?!?! :(
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Thanks people. The falcon is 50px wide. That's a bit big, but the loss of of detail would be great if it was made much smaller- the feathers would be very difficult to draw, or very big. Thus, I am keeping the size unless that makes it impossible to be used. I looked at it next a thief, and it seems fine to me. here's and animated, 7 frame version.

EDIT: mistake in the gif, a duplicated frame. Fixed.
Attachments
falconanim.gif
falconanim.gif (4.73 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

:shock: That's beautiful. My only problem is the shifting of the body. It seems to fall when from the motion of the wings it looks like it should be going up. :hmm: But your the bird expert, so if I'm wrong ignore it.
vivantlingvaemortvae
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Unfortunately I have to disagree... :( I don't think it's that beautiful, mainly because it's so jurky, there should be another frame between the frame with him having wings straight out and straight down.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

* The wing movement looks good, though it wouldn't hurt to have one more frame.
* The tail needs to move too. I doubt it stays perfectly in the same position the entire time.
* Like Rex Umbrarum says, it should be up where it is currently down and down where it is currently up. When it flaps its wings down, it pushes the body up, and then the body starts to fall again until it flaps down again. The body doesn't magically go up while he is raising his wings and then for some reason go down while he is flapping them down.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

turin wrote:* The wing movement looks good, though it wouldn't hurt to have one more frame.
* The tail needs to move too. I doubt it stays perfectly in the same position the entire time.
* Like Rex Umbrarum says, it should be up where it is currently down and down where it is currently up. When it flaps its wings down, it pushes the body up, and then the body starts to fall again until it flaps down again. The body doesn't magically go up while he is raising his wings and then for some reason go down while he is flapping them down.
1. I think I know which one to add. Coming soon

2. hmm yes good point I hadn't thought of that (would send you a beer smiley if we had them)

3. The jerkiness is a product of unaligned frames, not of my design. I intend to fix it, as I agree that it does look wrong, and I do know how birds fly ( :P turin)

@ rex: yeah, see above

@PtG: I can't quite understand, but I think I know what you mean, and I'm already planning to add that as per 1. Seems we think alike. :)

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Ok here's the new anim with all that fixed, hopefully. 8 frames, 100 ms.
Attachments
falconanim.gif
falconanim.gif (5.32 KiB) Viewed 4210 times

Longbow

Post by Longbow »

IMHO that looks much smoother and natural, nice work :) , wings look a little thin to me but I am probably wrong :hmm: oh, and the wing furthest away seems to move a little funny
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I believe standing anims are supposed to be 150ms long, though having a different length might not be a problem.

Looking good, but the outlines and lines on the wings are a bit hard. Maybe soften them a bit?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Are you sure? I don't think there's any standard length for any animation - you can set the timings and numbers of frames of all animations manually in WML, after all.

The animation looks good, but longbow's right - the wings do look a little bit paper-thin. This could be solved with a bit more shading, i think - overall, the whole thing feels a little flat.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Right, I was mistaken. It's just that all static standing animations have a duration of 150 and that movement anims spend 150ms in each hex. The bats' animations however, take far longer.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

thespaceinvader wrote: but longbow's right
Really? That's a first :D
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era