Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

Worked on Nemesis some more, I think most of it looks OK now, aside from her left hand. The missing details, such as the feathers, will be slowly worked on over time.
Attachments
Nemesis_Injured.jpg
Nemesis_Injured.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 6700 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Wow, that image is pretty cool. But the character doesn't look injured. She looks rather like charging at an enemy, with an amused smile when seeing the enemy terrified. Maybe if she was holding her belly with her left hand, she would look more like injured.

And a petty thing - she's supposed to be a woman, but her constitution is somewhat masculine, she has far greater muscles than I have.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Dugi wrote:Wow, that image is pretty cool. But the character doesn't look injured. She looks rather like charging at an enemy, with an amused smile when seeing the enemy terrified. Maybe if she was holding her belly with her left hand, she would look more like injured.
Thanks. Yeah, changing the arm like you suggest would make her more injured. It was an accident, but I'm not sure I want to go with 'injured' anymore. I'll tone down that silly smile, then just go with charging the enemy. The enemy thought she was dead, but whoa were they wrong, etc.
Dugi wrote:And a petty thing - she's supposed to be a woman, but her constitution is somewhat masculine, she has far greater muscles than I have.
I don't know you, but I doubt you are stronger than the strongest division of women's strength distribution (not sure if Bell Curve is really appropriate to invoke for physical strength). Her race is supposed to be superior in most ways, especially raw muscle and health, so it was intentional. There are other subtle differences between the genders, such as facial structure, that are more important, or at least more iconic. So as long as she doesn't look like a creepy transvestite, it's all good.

EDIT: and just to keep the art rolling, this is my current version of a cyborg (it's sort of like a walking corpse, but stronger):
Attachments
cyborg+female.png
cyborg+female.png (124.29 KiB) Viewed 6583 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Oh, very cool. I really like the spindly arm.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

This was not the highest priority portrait I could have worked on, but it's something different and maybe it was almost fitting for Thanksgiving.
Attachments
sparrow.png
sparrow.png (81.92 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I really like your sparrow.

What is the texture supposed to be for the body? It seems to have bits sticking out based on the silhouette, but I can also see the fold/crease lines.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Turuk wrote:What is the texture supposed to be for the body?
It's supposed to be fine metal feathers/fluff/fibers - an inorganic/metallic copy of a fluffy, feathered bird breast.
You're right though, there is an inconsistency in the line-work. I should probably either get rid of the bits sticking out, or give them some highlights.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Beautiful work :)
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I really like the bird.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I just noticed that the game lacks a walking corpse portrait. A de-machined cyborg would probably work great. (I would use it for the campaign I'm working on if nothing else.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is for the orcish cavalry, an extended orc faction unit from Archaic Era. That thing he's riding is something like a snow-camel-ram. It has a bridle & nose-ring, and it's body & saddle are not really drawn yet. But the rider is drawn, though flatly.
orc-rider.jpg
orc-rider.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 6205 times
beetlenaut wrote:I just noticed that the game lacks a walking corpse portrait. A de-machined cyborg would probably work great. (I would use it for the campaign I'm working on if nothing else.)
Hrmm, I think it would probably just look like a bumpkin. I think the reasons why there isn't one is:
1. There are too many variations.
2. The portrait can't look too gory.
3. The portrait can't look too cartoonish.
But I could try to draw a human walking corpse, and if you want to use it, no problem.

EDIT: The animal's outlines could use more work, but I'm finished with the orc for now.
Attachments
orc-rider.png
orc-rider.png (301.29 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Nice job on the armor shading, plus I like the gauntlet design. The Ram's pose doesn't read so well, I'm not getting the left leg, as in the ram's left leg. :hmm: Does this read easier?
Attachments
orc-rider2.png
orc-rider2.png (299.28 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

@Crow_T: i think the pink line for the hind leg is like it might be from side view.
the intention seems to be a partial side view, so the round outwards curve is the curve of the belly.

somehow the belly does not read as very round, though. maybe it is the shade in the middle and highlight near the bottom, or maybe the direction of the lines indicating a hollow shape.

also, the orange looks bit disturbing in my opinion. not only the intensity of the color, but if it is supposed to be reflective leather, then i doubt it would be so much more reflective than the skin. and reflections on round surfaces (like the knee thing) tend to be very small. the big reflection might be fitting on the flat piece on the animal's head, especially that it is in the foreground, but the flat side on the left shoulder doesn't really seem to be at the same angle, so it seems bit strange there.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's bronze, not shiny leather.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeah, the ram-thing needed work. It also looked a little too small. I think it looks bigger now. (And AI is right, that orange is supposed to be bronze, and it doesn't look that far wrong to me.)
orc-rider.png
orc-rider.png (335.04 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
I've also got a portrait for the non-healer branch of the South-Seas casters. I screwed up her left arm and shoulder, and I'm not sure what I'm doing with the big belt-buckle, but I have to see how much I care and how much else needs revision to know if I want to fix it.
seahag.png
seahag.png (171.13 KiB) Viewed 5934 times