Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Girgistian »

The arms seem okay to me. Maybe add more muscle definition under his right knee, though.
For the dark gods!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Great, I'll get started on the chain then. And fix the leg. Thanks.

With any luck, this is the last WIP post for these two. I didn't quite get everything done, but I won't be able to post anything for a few days.

I believe the flight feathers should be very straight unless she's breaking hard (which she's not). The smaller dark feathers can look like dull hair and not be so well defined, kind of like I started to do with the upper section of the storm's wing. (I realize those aren't the most interesting wing poses, but I'm not sure how else to keep it all in the frame.)
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 30th, 2009, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Nice wings :)
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nice lighting effects on Nemesis' chainmail.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

There's still work to do, but I think this fixes the arm on the striker?
Striker3a.png
And I think I rushed this one and may have to start over, but I wanted to ask if the general idea was out of bounds for Wesnoth. Those blobby things on the necklace would be ears (cut from humans and orcs, and maybe an elf ear too). No gore, just ears. This character is supposed to be very hostile and aggressive, striking out ahead of the rest of the Primevals. This could help break up the monotony of the skirmishes (random enemy attack, mini-scenarios) being all orc patrols.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

I think it seems pretty much okay. But are you giving them all too similar expressions? It doesn't have to look angry to look "evil".
For the dark gods!
sacred_chao

Post by sacred_chao »

doofus-01 wrote:With any luck, this is the last WIP post for these two.
Sorry for the off-topic post. I just wanted to say that studying the way you drew the nemesis really helped me to improve the shading on my avatar artwork. So thanks!

For interest's sake, this is what it used to look like:
107877-3.png
107877-3.png (8.02 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
All things are true. Especially false things.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

sacred_chao,

Glad to be of use. I think you may need to darken the mid-toned regions of your avatar a bit further.

Girgistian,

That is true about the expressions, I'll keep that in mind.

One way to deal with that is to hide their faces. This guy isn't as major a character as Nemesis, but he's just as high ranking so he gets similar clothes/armor.

Part of the sword disappears against the forum background, and the contrast looks strange because the forums crushed the image, but if you click on it, it looks different. Possibly not enough contrast.
Last edited by doofus-01 on August 18th, 2008, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think this is the final version of these.

I had thought 400 pixels was OK to post, but the forum is screwing these up again. I'll link them to the first post.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Art for Bad Moon Rising (see first post)

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm overhauling this mess of a campaign. The bad guys had magical powers that seemed like they could just do anything, and part III didn't really make much sense at times. Part of the clean-up involves removing the exploding loyalist zombies and "Evil Maskov". The Primevalist fanatics are getting a more central role to fill the gap.

This guy would be one of their leaders, so he gets dialogue and it would be nice if he isn't deformed.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I hadn't originally planned for these to use leather and bows, but they seemed a bit boring and didn't really have a ranged attack. That thing on her chest is supposed to be a chest protector, kind of like this.
artemis3a.png

I also have a question about story art. Giving a good solid effort for each image would take forever and therefore never get done. On the other hand, crappy art really adds nothing, maybe even detracts. But too many blank intro screens also detracts. These didn't take me very long and there is a chance I could actually fill all campaign's intro screens with similar things. Question is, would that be a mistake?
Last edited by doofus-01 on September 7th, 2008, 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Isn't there a no nudy rule?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was under the impression that it was OK if it was like National Geographic rather than girly pics. Maybe I was wrong, better to find out here than releasing it on the campaign server.

The portraits are not supposed to be titillating. Not every culture realized women were supposed to cover their chests, I thought this made them more alien if they didn't share European Christian values (or whatever you want to call it, I realize it isn't just Europeans and Christians).

EDIT: ^That^ was a distraction. Please, no more comments on the issue unless you're a developer/moderator telling me I'm behaving badly. I did have a question about those story images. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The Primeval archer was not an idea I was all that fond of, so they get chakram throwers instead. Some details need re-working (like the spare chakram on her chest) but I wanted to post this to see if anyone knows the pose to be insanely wrong. Thanks.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i've already told you but your progess over the last few month is astonishing!

a general suggestion would be too study some metal reflections.

the latest one is very interesting - i never saw such weapons!
but while i can see that you know more and more about anatomy - watch out your proportions! those legs are absurdly oversized! the tighs are wider than the head!
and there is something wrong about the hand wielding the weapon, all fingers are too small.
another reoccurring anatomical mistake in your works is the connection of the breastmuscles to the arm. you always picture them with an sharp peak, while it is a smooth and round connection in reality.

keep it on!