Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

Revising an old portrait, it's supposed to to be a female orc of some political power - basically not someone usually encountered in raids and battles, but it's tough times in Orc-ville. Surely it looks like a shaman or something, but just wondering if the rest is convincing. Her left arm might need to be changed.
Attachments
hrala.png
hrala.png (144.43 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

This is supposed to be the same person
About the 2 Bresdas. In my opinion the thicker neck is the main difference. Eye size is a slight issue too. I would keep the head of the first Bresda and only change the eye color to freakish. Wrinkles are not so needed in my opinion. Maybe the round thing on the neck could be kept for the primal Bresda too. I realize you keep the ear stuff (good) and the hair (maybe here small variations, if face and neck would be similar).
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wussel wrote:About the 2 Bresdas. ...
Yeah, they really don't look anything alike do they. I'll have to revisit that.

But until then, I'm still trying to spruce up BMR and think Carusoe deserves his own portrait, he just uses a generic one right now. This is the first draft.
Attachments
carusoe.png
carusoe.png (193.91 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Back to that stinking pile of crap I call "Trinity". Touch-up to Keldan, who is either a major villain, or the player's character, depending on which branch is chosen. Or which branch I get written. Either way, he is an important character, and I hope to get him done right. He's supposed to look ragged, but still dangerous.
Attachments
keldan.png
keldan.png (167.77 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

I assume he is a Khthon but don't know the story yet. Shouldn't he have wounds on his arm, especially around the bloody cloth area, or because he is a Khthon, no? Also, his armor looks very clean and undamaged besides the two holes; doesn't feel really 'ragged'
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

A lot of these portraits look very clean, an easy thing to do is to add a grunge layer set to overlay (or experiment with other modes/opacities) over top of the original. Here is a quick example
Attachments
keldan_dirty.png
keldan_dirty.png (199.61 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

mnewton1 wrote:I assume he is a Khthon but don't know the story yet. Shouldn't he have wounds on his arm, especially around the bloody cloth area, or because he is a Khthon, no? Also, his armor looks very clean and undamaged besides the two holes; doesn't feel really 'ragged'
Point taken on the armor not looking ragged. As for lack of wounds, the Khthon regenerate, so his wounds have healed. Also, making him a bloody mess would make it look like he was undead or at least got his ass kicked. The Khthon are more puppet masters (a la the somewhat crappy 1990's movie) than necromancer, so the living parts of him should be healthy.
Crow_T wrote:A lot of these portraits look very clean, an easy thing to do is to add a grunge layer set to overlay (or experiment with other modes/opacities) over top of the original. Here is a quick example
Yeah, an overlay or multiply layer can be really helpful, you can quickly shift the intensity or color of whatever details you are adding. It also makes adjusting and erasing easier. Thank heavens I'm not trying to do this with oil paints and silver ions.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The south-seas faction of Archaic_Era (and Trinity) just have two crappy old portraits, I'm going to try to correct that. This is the first one, and I guess it is setting their "style". Her eyes seem to have gotten screwed up during the down-scaling.
caster.png
caster.png (103.6 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
EDIT: And a not-exactly finished version of the shoreman.
shoreman.png
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

In my opinion the clean images look nice and I would rather call it style in the positive sense.

I would expect the sleeves to fall in the direction of gravity rather than the direction of the upper arm, though.
keldan.gif
keldan.gif (24.44 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
about signpost in another thread:
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Yeah, the sleeve should hang down, thanks.

As for the signpost, you are also right. It was supposed to be different age & wood than the post, but it is still too dark.
I don't have any plans to submit it to mainline, the discussion of fonts that would probably follow is not something I have the stomach for. But you can certainly use it if you want.
EDIT:
portrait for the healers in south-seas faction.
Attachments
caller.png
caller.png (157.88 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is supposed to be a zombie dragon. It's based off pixelmind's dragon.
Attachments
zombie_dragon.png
zombie_dragon.png (11.01 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

I would go with less saturation, more brightness and more contrast. Also I would go rather with brownish than greenish with the scales.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

zombie dragon looks cool, I wonder if the scales would retain their lustre, I recall they do in some fantasy worlds?

Be careful with your arm muscles of the caller, I don't think the bicep would be rotated downward so much in that pose- something is off there :hmm:
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Looking at this as a reference, it seems that there's something wrong with the angle of the neck - it looks like it breaks where the skin/scales stop and the bones begin.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm still trying to get this Trinity revision finished, but the WML stuff was starting to be no longer any fun, so I'm back to "painting". These are in various stages of completeness, they are for the later scenarios of Trinity. It's been a while since I drew one of these things, I got a bit rusty.
Attachments
Nemesis_Injured.png
Nemesis_Injured.png (118.78 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
echidna_queen.png
echidna_queen.png (142.73 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
drone.png
drone.png (147.55 KiB) Viewed 4579 times