Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Simons Mith

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Simons Mith »

I thought it was supposed to be an armadillo-sheep. In particular, a ram.

And that might be why it looks odd: sheep have pretty thick coats, hence their legs appear much more central, as you've drawn here. But if that sheep has a carapace instead of its wool, the legs should be much closer to the animal's corners. The ambiguity arises, I think, because, one's not sure whether the carapace is part of the animal, or just an armoured cover over its wool.

averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

It's a kthon-ised ram.

I think the problem is the neck, not the legs. With the neck horizontal, it extends the body and makes the legs appear too far back. If it's neck was more upright, the position would look more natural.
ram.jpg
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

averyimaginativename wrote:I think the problem is the neck, not the legs. With the neck horizontal, it extends the body and makes the legs appear too far back. If it's neck was more upright, the position would look more natural.
But it's not natural. That's sort of the point of the Kthon race in a whole. Unless you have a natural picture of a "sheep with green armor plates on its back with spikes sticking out", I think the neck is quite good as it is, given the basic size and shape of the shell (armor, whatever). As for the head, the bottom jaw cold be extended down farther to make for a flatter muzzle.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys. It is probably the neck causing unease, but that part was intentional. The face could be blunter and the back shell tighter, I guess.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
szopen

Post by szopen »

Doofus, while the portraits you do are on the edge of being great, they are few issues. However, I have an impression with all recent works of yours, that the hands are a bit too small. I have also an impression they are not drawn, but rendered -- it's probably the impression created by the shading.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That the hands are rendered? The entire image is rendered? Either way, not sure what you mean... Very little rendering going on here.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

(This is for Archaic Era, so it is not going in my more recent thread.)

This is for the Despair faction's widow line. It is not supposed to be too goth or gory, mostly neutral. I might make it partially transparent in-game.
Attachments
despair-lady.png
despair-lady.png (83.64 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

The portrait is generally very good(well to me)...however I think the hand is a little off-it looks like the fingers have been lopped off at the end(this might be deliberate), and also the hand seems to be a bit small(like Szopen commented).
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

• Your veil is very bad; it has no clothy texture over it, and it's difficult to see how exactly it rests on the head so that it would have such a blocky shape
  • Your outlines are too thin, a bit like the ones clipart images often have. A thickness of line some 2x-4x greater than that looks more pleasing imo
  • The skin tone is not quite right but I left it as is because perhaps it was intentional of her distorted nature
  • The purple accessories are unnecessary, they distract from the (pretty good) general shape
  • The ass cannot be easily located. It doesn't look unnatural by itself, but if you have a very featureless clothing item such as that one-piece skirt, then it is much more convenient to parse the image if you provide clear indications of how the body is shaped under it
a quick sketchy paint-over:
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Your veil is better, however, it seems to me that whilst changing the veil you also distorted the face a little. Also, the thicker lines make it look sketchier-I'm not sure whether that's a desired effect or not.
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Kanzil wrote:Your veil is better, however, it seems to me that whilst changing the veil you also distorted the face a little
I made the face better
Kanzil wrote:Also, the thicker lines make it look sketchier
I wrote:a quick sketchy paint-over:
Obviously the thickness of lines has nothing to do with "sketchiness"
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

a quite sketchy paint-over
oops :oops:

However, what I mean by distorted is the left eye is a bit indistinct
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Kanzil wrote:However, what I mean by distorted is the left eye is a bit indistinct
that's the main thing I meant by the "texture" of the veil - that in some places the veil should fold, and where it folds it should be less transparent
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

OK, you're probably right. I just thought I'd ask, in case it wasn't deliberate.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Doodled some more; I fail at hands...