Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Amorphous

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Amorphous »

New portrait looks pretty cool! The design has lots of flow to it.

This might just be me, but the metal collar looks like it would be pretty uncomfortable. Also, her arms (especially the one on our left) look disproportionately thick.

That said, take my thoughts with more than a few grains of salt because I'm really out of my depth here. :whistle:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For the three bangles/circles on her shoulder pieces, I know that they might be loose and moving with the raising of her left (our right) shoulder, but the ones on her left shoulder are curved and the ones on the right shoulder are straight. If these are attached pieces of metal, they might rotate as the overall piece of armor moved but I don't think they would shift position. Just a thought. :hmm:
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Amorphous wrote:Also, her arms (especially the one on our left) look disproportionately thick.
Yeah, I agree. I've slenderized her right arm a bit, and tried to do a little more with her cloak while I was at it.
Turuk wrote:For the three bangles/circles on her shoulder pieces, I know that they might be loose and moving with the raising of her left (our right) shoulder, but the ones on her left shoulder are curved and the ones on the right shoulder are straight. If these are attached pieces of metal, they might rotate as the overall piece of armor moved but I don't think they would shift position. Just a thought. :hmm:
I agree with that too, that whole shoulder & arm is a mess. At this time, I don't have the necessary willpower to fix it. I'll address it someday. Thanks.
SeaHag.png
SeaHag.png (185.01 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
I drew a magical talking-skull-on-the-wall, I did it kind of cheaply because it only has two lines in my add-on, but if it's a generally useful image, I could spend more time on it.
sand-skull.png
sand-skull.png (165.48 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

doofus-01 wrote:I agree with that too, that whole shoulder & arm is a mess. At this time, I don't have the necessary willpower to fix it. I'll address it someday. Thanks.
Fair enough, I certainly know how that goes, but figured I would provide the feedback in case the willpower was ever there. It's a minor thing to notice on her anyway.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i think what would work well for something like the skull is, you take everything to a layer, lock the transparency, duplicate layer, blur the above layer with some large size parameter (50?) and set the above layer to overlay blend mode!

maybe then play around with the opacirty of the above layer till its not too strong.
perseo

Post by perseo »

I guess when you said blending you were talking 'bout a specific program, since gimp has several blending modes, however I did try to understand what you were saying and I managed to do 2 diff edits, I would like you to explain me exactly what you were aiming to. :eng:
This are my two tries:
sand-skull-mul.png
sand-skull-mul.png (149.77 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
sand-skull.png
sand-skull.png (167.92 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Thanks!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i meant photoshop's overlay blend mode; you're right, gimp's overlay blend mode is different; it was silly of me to assume that gimp devs would have the good sense to follow the industry standard program's definitions.
Attachments
sand-skull2.png
sand-skull2.png (173.97 KiB) Viewed 6317 times
Last edited by Blarumyrran on January 2nd, 2014, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perseo

Post by perseo »

What do you mean by conmutative? I'm not a native speaker, and in my language the exact translation of commutative doesn't make any sense.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Haha. Thanks for the clarification, Blarumyrran, I had the same confusion as Perseo.

I'm gonna post these two Archaic Era portraits, even though they have a way to go before they are finished. I'm trying to get as many portraits half finished as I can, while I can, then slowly work on them over time. I screwed up the arsonists lower hand, the torch may also be too parallel to the page.
Attachments
arsonist.png
arsonist.png (188.78 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
brightshield.png
brightshield.png (136.05 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Probably my last one for a while. This guy is a villain "boss" in Trinity - probably not worth saying any more than that, except that there is supposed to be something vaguely mechanical about him, yet he is still a human.
Attachments
Tristien.png
Tristien.png (163.15 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A start to something a little different. I think I screwed up the perspective on some parts of it.
Attachments
Mech-D2.jpg
Mech-D2.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This isn't finished, and it still has some perspective problems, but I'm calling it good enough for now.
Attachments
Mech-D2.png
Mech-D2.png (322.18 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

doofus-01 wrote:This isn't finished, and it still has some perspective problems, but I'm calling it good enough for now.
It is great. I love Mechs.
They are just so cute.

Is there a unit sprite already?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fabi wrote:Is there a unit sprite already?
Of course! It's not really finalized, I think the feet need some work. But it's what I'm using for now.
Attachments
machine-basejawgun.png
machine-basejawgun.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've gotten started on the final "boss" of the campaign Trinity. She's supposed to be a hybrid of Seth (the magic mummy) and Echidna (snake lady), so not really human, but not really monster either. I'll probably try to get some magic-FX-something but for now, just trying to get convincing anatomy.
avatar.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
EDIT: some more work on it, changed the face significantly. Something in between is probably what I actually wanted.
Avatar.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
EDIT2: Pretty much finished version, I believe.
Attachments
Avatar.png (184.11 KiB) Viewed 5762 times