Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Issyl

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Issyl »

These latest two portraits both look so... sad. :?

I like the oarsman, but he needs a different expression, and so does the swimmer.
Fog

Post by Fog »

No! The expressions, although they are sad, are very good. The oarsman has a wonderful face, great job. :)
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I like these portraits (the style is goth-ish) but Vazan's one doesn't to his sprite.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, Fog. I don't really see the problem either, but I changed the eyebrows of the oarsman a little (don't have it with me, so won't post).
sur.nhm wrote:Vazan's one doesn't to his sprite.
Vazzan is buried in this thread somewhere? I'm amazed you had the stomach to go through it (maybe I should start a new thread and let this one die). But I think his sprite and portrait are reasonably close. What is so different?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

doofus-01 wrote:Thanks, Fog. I don't really see the problem either, but I changed the eyebrows of the oarsman a little (don't have it with me, so won't post).
sur.nhm wrote:Vazan's one doesn't to his sprite.
Vazzan is buried in this thread somewhere? I'm amazed you had the stomach to go through it (maybe I should start a new thread and let this one die). But I think his sprite and portrait are reasonably close. What is so different?
His sprite's got a black shirt, while his portrait's got a white armour-ish thing. (so it seems)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't think that is too big a difference, mainline has similar discrepancies. If they were shaded better, they'd look more similar. But I don't want to re-shade a very old image, maybe I'll redraw it some day if I have time. Probably not though.

I needed another big monster, and was going to try a spider, but I got influenced by the cuttlefish threads, so this is my idea of Kraken (not quite finished). Or maybe just a big nautilus. Kraken should probably be bigger, might need to be a mixture of terrain and units.
Attachments
kraken.png
kraken.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The perspective near the back looks like the shell's curling towards the viewer.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

its been a while since you posted it, but if its still open for crit I do think your female swimmer is way too buff. She looks has the musculature of a very strong man, and that simply is not the way girls look, even athletic ones.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'll get back to this at some point. When enough time has passed, I've found it's better to just start over, so I probably won't edit anything currently posted here.

Thanks.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Even if you no longer edit these, I'm going to offer some criticism on your swimmer, because I've noticed that the issues with it are somewhat constant on your darker portraits. The main problem is that there is way too little contrast in its shading. Below is the swimmer compared to the orcish grunt to illustrate the problem. Even though the orc is also dark in colour and in dim lighting, there is much more contrast, making it look more three-dimensional and dynamic. In comparison, the swimmer looks vary flat and dull. This is made vary clear by the value histograms, the upper is for the swimmer and the lover for the orc. You'll notice that the value spectrum of the orc spans the whole scale, while that of the swimmer is cut off in the midlevels. Even if the lighting is dim, and the colours of the object are dark, you can use bright shading for the highlights.
swimmer.png
swimmer.png (106.37 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
lostnumber wrote:its been a while since you posted it, but if its still open for crit I do think your female swimmer is way too buff. She looks has the musculature of a very strong man, and that simply is not the way girls look, even athletic ones.
It'd be nice if people would make even rudimentary research before running their mouths. It took me about 17 seconds of googling to find a swimmer woman who's built almost exactly like doofus-01's:

If there is something to criticise in doofus-01's swimmer anatomy, it's that the outline of the trapezius muscle is a bit too high, giving her a hunched/hulk look, but that would apply even if she was male.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Even if you no longer edit these, I'm going to offer some criticism on your swimmer, because I've noticed that the issues with it are somewhat constant on your darker portraits. The main problem is that there is way too little contrast in its shading. Below is the swimmer compared to the orcish grunt to illustrate the problem. Even though the orc is also dark in colour and in dim lighting, there is much more contrast, making it look more three-dimensional and dynamic. In comparison, the swimmer looks vary flat and dull. This is made vary clear by the value histograms, the upper is for the swimmer and the lover for the orc. You'll notice that the value spectrum of the orc spans the whole scale, while that of the swimmer is cut off in the midlevels. Even if the lighting is dim, and the colours of the object are dark, you can use bright shading for the highlights.
swimmer.png
lostnumber wrote:its been a while since you posted it, but if its still open for crit I do think your female swimmer is way too buff. She looks has the musculature of a very strong man, and that simply is not the way girls look, even athletic ones.
It'd be nice if people would make even rudimentary research before running their mouths. It took me about 17 seconds of googling to find a swimmer woman who's built almost exactly like doofus-01's:

If there is something to criticise in doofus-01's swimmer anatomy, it's that the outline of the trapezius muscle is a bit too high, giving her a hunched/hulk look, but that would apply even if she was male.
thats a beefy swimmer for sure, but its not even close to the musculature that Doofus's model displays (look at her left arm). I stand by my comment and I'm not the only one who has pointed it out.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

That image is also deceptive. Here is the same swimmer (Tara Kirk) from a variety of angles

Beefy yes, powerlifter defined? No
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:In comparison, the swimmer looks vary flat and dull. This is made vary clear by the value histograms, the upper is for the swimmer and the lover for the orc.
Sure does... The histogram is a nice trick, I'll check that in the future. Thanks.
lostnumber wrote:I stand by my comment and I'm not the only one who has pointed it out.
I hear you, but she really doesn't look so far off to me that I really need to change it. Maybe someday I'll come up with a different one. Let's drop it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Some sprites. These are a form of ghost. I realize the torso of the rightmost one looks off, I'll edit that. But the face of that one and the one to its left are supposed to be veils, sort of like a wedding veil. I was having trouble with it and wonder if it looks at least half-way like a veil.
Attachments
widow.png
widow.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

doofus-01 wrote:But the face of that one and the one to its left are supposed to be veils, sort of like a wedding veil. I was having trouble with it and wonder if it looks at least half-way like a veil.
I had no problem seeing that was what it was even before reading your post. the only thing I might suggest is more tapering of the the edges from the bottom of her face to the top. Right now it's got what I can only describe as a "curtain edge" where it just stops at the side of her face.