My small contribution (added portrait sketches)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TrashMan

My small contribution (added portrait sketches)

Post by TrashMan »

I made 2 new units for this brilliant game, maybe they can be used, maybe not.

Anyway, I've put up the images and units files (no custom portraits yet...need to by a sketchpad. The two images in the file are PLACEHOLDERS, but they are a pretty good aproximation of how I imagine the units. And they are probably copyrighted.), and I update this as I add more stuff.

The FILE

Moved to Art Workshop.
-- Shadow Master
Last edited by TrashMan on May 10th, 2008, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Guidrion

Re: My small contribution

Post by Guidrion »

It is pretty nice but there is a minor issue: I don't think your work might go to mainline. You should propose it to the art workshop. Someone might be able to use it for an era or a campaign.
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Indeed, I should have posted it there.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Hmm, these sprites would be good for the Celestials I believe. Maybe you should submit your work to the EoM, the Celestials really need good sprites, especially the Crusader line...
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I can't draw with the mouse to save my life and my scanner is [censored], so I had to use a digital camera to get this drawings onto my HDD....tragedy.
Anyways, here's some conceptual sketches..might make good portraits

Elven (or human if you trim the ears) Sorceress:

Elven Archer:

Human - Holy Avenger (incomplete)

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

TrashMan wrote:I can't draw with the mouse to save my life and my scanner is [censored], so I had to use a digital camera to get this drawings onto my HDD....tragedy.
Anyways, here's some conceptual sketches..might make good portraits
Huh? Kitty has done portraits for the Elves already... Also you might wanna sprite for the Celestial faction at the EoM, since you apparently like to sprite divine knights (The Celestial faction is partly composed of divine knights...)...
TrashMan

Re: My small contribution (added portrait sketches)

Post by TrashMan »

I'm making them cause I like making them.. so if I ever manage to turn these into final portraits then they can be used for new units, leaders or NPC's.
If I can't...well, then maybe someone might be able to use the sketches to make portraits out of them (he will have my blessing..lol).
I'll take a look at EoM.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Nice. I really like the faces and posing.

The bodies and limbs seem a bit shapeless to me though - a bit straight-up-and-down.

Please forgive my crappy mousing skills on this PC, but hopefully the idea is clear. (The male seems like he should be broader at the shoulders too, but I couldn't demonstrate that via pink lines. :)).
Attachments
sketchelf1mx5.jpg
sketchelf1mx5.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
sketchelf2sl3.jpg
sketchelf2sl3.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Yeah, tis a rough sketch.

The sorceress needs her arms re-done as I'm not happy with them ATM and as far as the legs go - she's supposed to wear a dress, but I guess I can make it it a cut-out so show her tigh :P :wink:
As for the belly/chest, I deliberately didn't want to make her too skinny...IIRC the human anatomy, the belly is usually a bit extruded

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

TrashMan wrote:As for the belly/chest, I deliberately didn't want to make her too skinny...IIRC the human anatomy, the belly is usually a bit extruded
It is indeed. And I'm a big fan of art using more realistic non-supermodel proportions (although skinny is essentially mandatory for elves).

However, she's extruded above her belly, too. The line I drew isn't perfect, unfortunately, but it pulls in underneath the breasts then rounds out again at the stomach which is (AFAIK) correct.

I gave curves to the shape she and size she currently has. AFAIK, if you want her to not be skinny, she should still curve like that - she should just be slightly wider as well.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

granted...but then again, she is wearing a dress and dresses are not skin-tight suits...there should be some breathing room left between her skin and the fabric in a few places... I'll have to see how and what I'll change.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<