Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ancient Mediterranean-Themed Units

Post by artisticdude »

Hmm, that exact pose has given me problems in the past, and I've never been able to figure out exactly what the problem(s?) was. :hmm: Perhaps it's that he's putting too much weight on his right leg? Perhaps if you slid his right leg out into a sort of 'half-split' position, it might work a bit better? Although that might be too dynamic a pose to work with the rest of his body... :hmm:

Your AA skills totally put me to shame... especially the work on the torso. Very nice work there. ^_^
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
shiremct
Art Contributor

Re: shiremct's art thread

Post by shiremct »

I'm repurposing this thread as a general dump for various random things. It feels like ages since I've had the time or inspiration to do much of any spriting, but I've been toying with Paint a little here and there the last few days and am quite enjoying it. Though few would have any actual utility with regards to Wesnoth, I have a few old unfinished things that never had a home I'll post in here, as well as my current WIP for feedback & critiques.

First up, a very old project that was intended to become a forum avatar for Company of Heroes. Sadly, I ran into much trouble developing a palette and shading in the large areas. I would really like to finish this one day, so good palette examples or shading examples/paint-overs would be greatly appreciated.
unit3.PNG
unit3.PNG (3.21 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Next up is an old WIP from early this fall that began inspired by the brave/warrior from an old game called Populous: The Beginning, one of my favorite games from when I was younger. It developed away from that inspiration into a more native american style, but could potentially be of some use to someone I suppose.
unit2.PNG
unit2.PNG (1.77 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Lastly, my current WIP (~50%), my faithful companion through the rugged expanse of Skyrim. This is largely Wesnoth style (mostly out of habit I guess) but much too big to actually be useful. Excited how this is turning out so far after being so long out of practice, but much is left to do.
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (2.62 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Edit: Some further development if anyone is interested. :hmm:
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (3.92 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

Edit: Many issues remain that I'm not completely happy with, but overall I'm rather pleased and I wanted to just get it done and try to move on. The balance, either of the piece or the pose or both, seems a bit off to me but I can't place it. It may be because the arm holding the sword is at an incorrect angle, but I've tried dozens of attempts and that was the only one that looked remotely correct, though I know the elbow still needs to be rotated out a bit more. Colors are getting out of control and contrast and definition could definitely be better as things are probably getting a bit lost and difficult to read, especially around the neckline/pauldrons, but that's a consistent struggle for me. Really pleased with the hair, something I was pretty scared of tackling before. :D
unit.PNG
unit.PNG (5.01 KiB) Viewed 1168 times