Minotaur Faction Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The behemoth is... HUGE. He's bigger than a troll... But looks very good =) The gore looks much better following your edit.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

thespaceinvader wrote:The behemoth is... HUGE. He's bigger than a troll... But looks very good =) The gore looks much better following your edit.
Yes he is rather big. I wanted him, the Behemoth King and the Minotaur king to be huge. From images i can imagine in my mind, they would be huge monsters almost twice the size of a human charging towards the enemy. Maybe i went a little over the top with him lol.

Overal though im please with his outcome. Ive also added shadow to the Gore. I might still do a bit more editing to his legs but for now im putting him aside as nearly finnished.
Attachments
With shadow
With shadow
Gore-edit2.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
JW

Post by JW »

Oh. My. God........

That Behemoth is insane!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

...I'm drooling... 8)

This guy could be like a level 5 epic boss with something like 215hp and 22-4 slam attack / 28-3 gore attack. Wow that's an awesome sprite. 8)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

JW wrote:Oh. My. God........

...I'm drooling... 8)

This guy could be like a level 5 epic boss with something like 215hp and 22-4 slam attack / 28-3 gore attack. Wow that's an awesome sprite. 8)
Haha thanks, would you believe he is actually only a lvl 1. He's the tanker of the faction. (making these up on the spot lol) 9-2 claws(pierce) / 14-1 charge(impact... no more skelies after this thing hits one of them lol) and about 45 HP.

Im not the greatest of balancers lol as ive never built a faction before, but something alongs those lines doesnt seem to bad (probably a bit too much HP)
Karo

Post by Karo »

Quietus wrote:
JW wrote:Oh. My. God........

...I'm drooling... 8)

Haha thanks, would you believe he is actually only a lvl 1. He's the tanker of the faction. (making these up on the spot lol) 9-2 claws(pierce) / 14-1 charge(impact... no more skelies after this thing hits one of them lol) and about 45 HP.

Im not the greatest of balancers lol as ive never built a faction before, but something alongs those lines doesnt seem to bad (probably a bit too much HP)
Hm, creeping biggerism alert! That's the tendencies for things to become bigger and bigger as new sprite art is created. As JW said, the Behemoth is something like level 3+ size. Maybe create a toned down version of the behemoth to serve as its level 1. But great shading on the sprites, especially on the behemoth.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Quite nice but some of the lines could need some antialiasing.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Shadow wrote:Quite nice but some of the lines could need some antialiasing.
Yeah, though thats mainly due to my over use of black,l i feel with some editing of the edges in more of a wesnoth style, that should be sorted.

I am also changeing the Behemoth, to Behemoth King. He is rather big and i feel that a smaller one would be more appropriate for a Behemoth. I will edit and create the new behemoth probably tommorow, as tonight im completly swamped with coursework, homework and revision. Though i might get the anti-aliasing done tonight in between work.

Thanks for all you comment, it really is good for one's confidence :)

Ill edit the post with some updates perhaps tonight when done.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Sorry for the double post, just the new behemoth took less time than expected.

Basically he's smaller and in my mind a bit more aggressive. The king is is just as aggressive only due his larger size he's slightly slower with his attacks. Thats why the Behemoth os in a more aggresive pose ready to strike.

He needs more work done to him but you can see the basic idea of what im going for.

EDIT: oh almost forgot, i still intended for him to be larger than a human (myths tell us that they grew to Gigantic size.) I just wanted it to be a bit more toned down from the Behemoth King which is nearing full size
Attachments
He looks a bit like a P***ed off teddy bear lol
He looks a bit like a P***ed off teddy bear lol
Behemoth.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Hey, the behemoth looks great, what kind of attack do you have in mind for him? The smaller guys without flashy weapons generally turn out to be berserkers, like the Steppe Savage or Dwarfish Ulfserker. This guy looks excellent for that kind of role, but maybe you don't intend to include a unit like that in the Minotaur faction.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
JW

Post by JW »

These guys are insane. I'm waiting to see more. :)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Thanks, they will be coming soon, once work is complete and i also am currently working on wargs from EOM. Ive just added some TC to the behemoth line. Not too sure if i like it, but it sort of is required, so i guess ill have to put up with it. And unfortunately theres no where else i can really put it lol.

As far as how they will perform. I didnt really think of beserk. Though i have a few ideas for other units that might be e.g. Minotaur king and savager(new name perhaps?). Which i will start on soon.

Attacks wise. Both have claws and a ram attack with the ram doing a massive amount of damage for only one hit (much like the fire stick). and the claws doing 2 or 3 hits for medium damage. Im really considering making a faction of these guys, which ill review and perhaps post some ideas in the next few days.

Current work:EDIT:

Incomplete work
Completed work

-Wargs, Stalker line TCing and cleaning some bits up.
-Ive started and almost finnished the first draft on a new unit called Executioner. Might be an evolution of a gore, mght be an entire new unit. We shall see
-re-doing bits of the overlord.

Mission accomplished lol
Attachments
With TC
With TC
Behemoth King-edit2.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
With TC
With TC
Behemoth.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
Last edited by Quietus on January 19th, 2008, 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I like the new behemoth, though i think you need to lighten up the black bits a few shades like you said.

Attacks: a blade or impact attack with the arms, and a charging pierce attack with the horns =D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

yeah the Behemoth was slightly rushed, though i do like the finnished result.

I fixed the black problem but still face antialiasing, which i will get round to eventually. Below is the current faction to be :D . The sprites im fine with, if you spot anything please do tell. Im working on the last two. There will obvious be more evolutions, and more sprites, but this is currently what i have and what im working on.
Attachments
EDIT: now with names on
EDIT: now with names on
current-faction.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok my latest installment/update..THE EXECUTIONER!!!

He's one of the possible lvl 3 options from the Grunt. High damage but no range defence.

Took me longer than both behemoths lol, and i think i changed the image/stance/armour and weopon about 10 times lol before i was relatively happy. Legs are wierd but ill fix those later.

Anyhows, here is the fruit of my hands and mouse. Soon to make a few more less OTT units. I just wanted to have fun with this one :P
Attachments
Lvl 3 grunt
Lvl 3 grunt
Exectutioner.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

That scythe's a little too big. And its right arm is much too short - i'd make it longer and change the angle of the scythe handle in the process. The armour's good though =)