Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

new marauder axeman - aka turin's first scratch-built sprite

Post by turin »

For a while I've been (slowly) tcolorizing and biggerizing the Marauder sprites (for the Marauder faction from the Imperial Era). Today, inspired by Shadowfarer's art tutorial, I decided to try my hand at making the new Marauder Axeman sprite from scratch, rather than "Extreme Frankensteining" (my usual method, in which I frankenstein the different body parts/weapons together but take great pains to make everything fit seamlessly).

Anyway, what I did was:

* draw an outline in pure black
* fill in the regions with the appropriate colors
* shade using three values for each region
* replace the black with appropriate really dark colors
* dodge and burn the hell out of it

The image in the lower-left is the original, which I used for reference only; the upper-right is the result of the above method.

So - Comments? Critiques? Should I return to extreme frankensteining?
Attachments
axeman-new.png
axeman-new.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I like it.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Not bad at all for a first scratch built sprite. If I remember mine was way worse - wait - yeah, here it is.

For some reason it looks a bit dark/blurry - maybe you wanted it to look that way, though. And the elbow - on the left side of the image, so his right elbow - looks weird. I can tell it's an elbow if I peer closely, but from first glance I don't know what it is...try removing that little dark bit you've put in the middle. Then again I haven't sprited in a long time, so don't take me too seriously - my best from-scratch work would probably be my avatar.

Generally good work. :D
JW

Post by JW »

Wow!! Turin, I'm impressed!!! :shock:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, I think I've fixed what Flametrooper was saying regarding the elbow.

And I've decided this guy looks too level 2-ish - so now he's the hunter, and this new sprite's the Axeman. I'm not really happy with the Axeman, though... he looks off, though I'm not sure why.
Attachments
axeman-new.png
axeman-new.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
hunter-new.png
hunter-new.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the axe head is too bright (might be due to a white background in web browser)

the two levels are too similar and might be confused

your new method is waaaaaaay better, please continue that way
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Your first scratch build sprite I feel offended. :cry:
What about his one? Image

Now serious. I like the direction. Cough perhaps I'm biased. :P
Though I also thing that the axe head could need a bit definition. Just do it the way you did it with you dwarf and don't forget the brushes they are sometimes more useful on smaller areas than the doge tool.
Last edited by Shadow on December 8th, 2007, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The axe blades come out of the handle at the wrong angle. They should be a little more foreshortened and come into the middle of the handle to avoid the impression that they're coming out downwards. The hunter's right leg is not long enough, nor is the axeman's left upper arm. His right lower arm is too narrow and spindly.

This is great work from scratch. A little tweaking and cleanup is needed to make it perfect, though. Also, dark/game background shots would be useful so we can actually see the axe blades. They look a little small, to me, but that could just be the light backgrounds.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Do these address your comments adequately?
Attachments
axeman-new-w-bg.png
axeman-new-w-bg.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
hunter-new-w-bg.png
hunter-new-w-bg.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
The World of Orbivm
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Shadow wrote:Your first scratch build sprite I feel offended. :cry:
What about his one? Image
Whoa, looks like Davy Jones got ahold of a pickaxe. :P

turin: I think it would look better if the axe was...well, more impressive. It looks like a hatchet, at the moment. If you could stylize it a bit, such as curving the blade, perhaps, or giving it an explicit point, or even making it a double-headed axe, that would be good.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
JW

Post by JW »

The axeman looks funny, I think, because he is facing his enemy to the SE square on. It's like he's greeting him to say hello while carrying an axe. If he were in a battle stance he would be more sideways and would probably bend his knees a little bit - though this is exactly what you've done for the L2, so you don't want to give him the exact same stance. Still, it is this stance that helps make the L2 look so good in addition to just how well it is drawn. :wink:

ps, the L1 is also drawn well, it is just his stance that I am commenting on.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks better, but i'd still prefer more foreshortening on the blades. And a little more length on the leg i mentioned. The arms look better.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

JW wrote:The axeman looks funny, I think, because he is facing his enemy to the SE square on. It's like he's greeting him to say hello while carrying an axe.
It looks like he's about to say, "Hey there, mind if I Axe you a question?" :P
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Elbow looks better.
I don't quite see much difference between the two (if one's a lvl-up of the other). It's there, definitely, but could be emphasized.
Those are both really good sprite work though. The level 2 especially.

Hmmm....what if the level 1 held his axe in a more relaxed pose, while the level 2 held his axe in the badass ready-to-chop pose you've got him in? That could work to differentiate them.
Example:
Attachments
This is a quick hack to show you what I meant. You would probably want to change the colors/shading/etc to fit your style.
This is a quick hack to show you what I meant. You would probably want to change the colors/shading/etc to fit your style.
axeman_flame-edit.png (2.47 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Your Axeman, next to the hunter. They look really similar.
Your Axeman, next to the hunter. They look really similar.
compare1.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
My edit, next to the hunter. You can really tell how much more badass the second one is...
My edit, next to the hunter. You can really tell how much more badass the second one is...
comparenew.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Try holding an axe like that. That's an impossible, not to mention horribly impractical, pose. No offence, but it does not look good. The ready stance of the current sprites is a good one. A good alternate would be axe on shoulder, or axe held at waist level.