The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Guidrion

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Guidrion »

I see what you mean. In fact, I found the original design a bit mixed of gothic and light and I tried to keep this effect but a completely light warrior would probably go better to your idea of the Celestial.
Here's another shot with an open helmet.
Attachments
crusaderopen.png
crusaderopen.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That is very good. Implimenting now.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jester

Post by Jester »

I love the new vampiric mages.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Happy to see you liked it. I'll try to animate it when I get the time.
Here's a new version of the divine knight according to the new crusader.
divine knight1.png
divine knight1.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Would be nice if the mace did not half-cover the face, but other than that it's pretty good. Maybe the mace could be resting on his shoulders or in a forward position.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Is this one better?
divine_knight1.png
divine_knight1.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
By the way: for the divine champion is it bad if I use a morningstar instead of a mace?
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have no problem with the art showing a morning-star. I can always change the name of the attack. I'm going to impliment that, though I do think that the morning-star could use to be smaller. If later you diside to fix that then I'll use the improved version.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Ok. I didn't succeed to make the morningstar later but I'll keep trying when I'll have enough time to do it.
Here's the second shot of the divine champion(the first one was pretty uggly...)
Attachments
divine_champion1.png
divine_champion1.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is something wrong with the way he is holding his sword, but I can't pin it down. However that is another minor issue I'm not going to worry about too much, this one is going in too, untill a better version comes out.
JW

Post by JW »

Sorry to interject, but the Crusader attempts are very clearly frankensteined units: and not done very well IMO. Why would he wear robes and a helmet? It doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it's not like there's major seams, but the different unit pieces don't go well together at all.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

To answer your question JW: I'm putting them in because regaurdless of how well they fit the unit, they were better than what we had artwize. I agree the head does not fit with the robes, but I figured that like everything else it will get fixed later.

I don't know why I don't have a problem with the fact that they wear robes, but it does not bother me, even after you point them out.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

JW wrote:Sorry to interject, but the Crusader attempts are very clearly frankensteined units: and not done very well IMO. Why would he wear robes and a helmet? It doesn't make much sense to me.
Is there any particular reason not to wear robes over armour? Granted, they'd get shredded in combat, but it wouldn't be the first example of impractical ornamentation worn into battle.

(The robes would have to be made a bit bulkier to indicate that this is the case, though).
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

In case you have not read my thread in the main forum. I am thinking of modifying the Therian theme to define them while still keeping both the gameplay/society the same. However this calls for new artwork for all of them.

What I would like to do is to move them closer to the Jungle/Savanah lore I'd always pictured them being based off of. They'd all have to gain very dark skin. The monks would become their preists/spirtual, and would fight with sultas and/or matras but with a african/south american feel to them rather than a european monk. The apprentices would be the workers of vodoo and magic (would fight with curse/hex), and would have to look the part too. The new line names would be

Monks: Priest, Rabbi (wrong tradition I know, but the title fits the role), highpriest

Apprentice: practicianer, shaman/sorrceror, witch docter (this would combine the previouse two.

The rest would not change as far as to name/roll, but their human apperance would have to be altered to fit the theme.

These changes are not final, I'm waiting for JW to show up, but I would like to know if anyone is interested in doing these?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

They don't have to get dark skinned, they always stuck me as more like Asians or Islanders but in a different setting. Or like Native Americans.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Realy I'm making them kind of a blend, but the dark skin will help them stand out, and make the connection between the african/south american lore more obviouse. When you think about it, therians focus on mystic arts, shapeshifting, spirts, and magic. How fitting is it that the jungle tribes would have their warriors be able to turn into jaguars, or falcons, or serpents? Their basic warriors are spear units that always carry many extra spears for throwing, and then we have the two units that don't fit that mythos the monk and the apprentice, but their concepts are very easily carried over into this in a very fitting way.

No this is not nessisary, but it would realy help define them, and IMO it would make them very neat.

EDIT: also I don't know if I mentioned this before but I'd like to change the role of the shapeshifter to make him a ranged/melle hybrid (I'll probably change his name too) this would not change the wargs melee focus, but it would give him a point beyound "able to hold villages" I'm thinking that he will use a sling.