Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Shiki
Developer

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Shiki »

taptap wrote:Is art development for Era of Myths still going on? Is the requirements post at the thread start still valid?
Not really. The last things which happened are the sprites in the other Era of Myths thread, and tommy2teeth made some spriting, though he didn't post it here. There will be new wolf sprites, about others I'm not sure.
The requirements post is very old. I could make a new one.

The fledgeling misses a female sprite (well, there is one, but it's just 1px thinner). I thought the succubus sprite could fill the spot, but it can't. It's a really nice sprite, maybe it can be used in a campaign one day.
Try out the dark board theme.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Yes, please (new post).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

bumbadadabum wrote:Because most Therian and Warg sprites need to be redone, I decided to try and improve some sprites myself, starting with the Therian Apprentice. I think it looks ok for a non-artist.
Sorry for the late answer.
The most in need for changes are the Therians

:arrow: Therians:
Snakes: There are 6 snake units, but only 2 base sprites + 1 attack sprite
Cats: The Panther has a good set of sprites, and a leopard variant exists. If there would be a third recolored version (a Tiger? a Snowtiger? a Panther? A tiger is probably more difficult because of the stripes) the whole cat line could use the good sprites. The first two levels can share one sprite, with the lvl 1 being in human form outside of combat and the lv2 as animal.
Therian Hunter line: has only one sprite for all three units
Therian Appretice: there is a new sprite on side 29
Therian Shaman + Priest
Therian Mage + Master
lvl3 guard (new unit)

:arrow: Vampires:
female Fledgeling: sprite needed
Halfblood/Twitlight Walker/Dayhunter: The new animation frames have still slight issues (i.e. upper level animation sprites 1-2 pixel to small compared to base sprite) .xcf file is available.

:arrow: Windsong:
The dreadnoughts sprite was actually made for the reaver, while the reaver uses a former version of it

:arrow: Wargs:
not sure ...
there is an animation for the moon blade on page 24/25 which looks awesome. It can be seen ingame if uncommenting a part in _main.cfg (of the unrelease EoM version). The reason it is not active is that it misses a transistion from after the attack to the base sprite.

:arrow: Elementals:

:arrow: Devlings:
Flappers: shadows could get bigger and smaller with the animation
Flyers and Attackers: could use such an standing animation too

:arrow: Celestials:
light spirits have all the same sprite

:!: Teamcoloring:
The Vampires, the Celesials (execpt the light spirites) and the Windsong use TC for all units.
For the Terians, all besides the cat (animal) sprites use TC.
For the Wargs, about the half of them has TC, the main Warg line misses it...and the human living along them.
Some of the Air Elementals use TC, the most units not.
The Devlings use no TC at all.
taptap

Post by taptap »

A few small edits on celestial sprites: mainly various fixes on shadows (old style, wrong opacity, copy-paste errors) and proper team color on the holy sentinel. May it be useful for those using these sprites in EoM or Ageless Era.
Attachments
holy-sentinel_taptap.png
holy-sentinel_taptap.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
sentinel_taptap.png
sentinel_taptap.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
protector_taptap.png
protector_taptap.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
divine-champion_taptap.png
divine-champion_taptap.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Sepherescent

Post by Sepherescent »

Heya.

I noticed that one of my favourite factions (Windsong) didn't have a proper sprite for the Dreadnought. I've decided to set a couple hours aside and work on my own. I don't claim to be a great artist, and I rarely do pixel art, so please, if you have any improvement suggestions, feel free to tell me. I won't accept anything less than perfection!

Btw whilst reading through the 'Reaver' lore I noticed it mentioned they began using blades instead of stones; I assume this also applies to the Dreadnought (as they are the legendary Reavers). So perhaps a reskin is in order? I personally like the stones so perhaps we should rewrite the lore and remove the part about the blades... anyway. I've given the Dreadnought spiky stones, they resemble horns. Not sure if I like them or not. Opinions?
Attachments
The new Dreadnought
The new Dreadnought
dreadnought.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
Sepherescent

Post by Sepherescent »

Been working on the Farstrider since I find it to be somewhat off; the unit is too slim and doesn't really fit the theme of the other Windsong.
I've attached my attempt so far. I'd greatly appreciate opinions; I noticed the 'halo' looked somewhat like demon horns, so I'll probably redo that.
The hair also looks somewhat... unnatural. As for the pose, I tried going for something dynamic.

If this isn't the right place to post this stuff then I'm sorry @Admins!
Also @Ravana (I'm assuming you check all new posts :lol:), would it be possible for you to incorporate these new designs in place of the old ones into the AE Windsong faction? So long as they meet your aesthetic standards and other requirements, of course.

The Farstrider is still unfinished! As for the Dreadnought, no one replied, so I'm assuming the design is fine?
Attachments
Old design, for comparison
Old design, for comparison
farstrider.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
New Farstrider design
New Farstrider design
farstrider.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I indeed check all posts (other than those in mainline feedback). EoM updates are generally added to ageless by Shiki, it is his call to decide on new art there.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Tycho_X wrote: May 29th, 2018, 2:48 pm Been working on the Farstrider since I find it to be somewhat off; the unit is too slim and doesn't really fit the theme of the other Windsong.
I've attached my attempt so far. I'd greatly appreciate opinions; I noticed the 'halo' looked somewhat like demon horns, so I'll probably redo that.

The Farstrider is still unfinished! As for the Dreadnought, no one replied, so I'm assuming the design is fine?
I would look for clear placeholders and sub-par sprites* to start out not one of the few good sprites. The farstrider looks a bit like a pole dancer to me, but your redraw is a downgrade (less detail, less readable, odd pose, new color scheme, no miniskirt, no ribbons).

Your dreadnought looks contorted (like fisheye effect) not at all like a floating magical girl in heavy armor. This is partly due to the change to the stones, but it isn't all that clear to me what you tried to achieve with your edits to body, robe and armor. (When you come up with an awesome sprite whether it is floating swords, balls or needles or whatever, changing some text will be easy.)

* plenty of Therians, some Celestials (e.g. the three part-frankensteins where I merely fixed some shadow and team color problems)
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Yeah, I did the Farstrider, and I'm older now and more aware it looks like a pole dancer. I probably should do something about that.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

It is technically very hard to top the current windsongs sprites,I think the current ones should not be swapped out prematurely.
Also I think one can read the farstrider not only as a pole dancer, but also as a challenging lvl 3 unit.

As taptap said, it would be better to work on another part, the windsong are just the highest goal.

I'm sorry for not making a release for such a long time. I try to get up a new version in the next time, to both 1.12 and 1.14.