The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Drakefriend

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Drakefriend »

On the matter of your harbinger sprite: while she looks quite good, she is quite visibly smaller and less sturdy than the heretic; I would therefore enlarge her slightly.
(I've had had this suggestion since you posted it, but for some reason, I waited until today... :augh: )
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
nayru25

Post by nayru25 »

I see your point...

There are a number of factors that contribute to this, most prominently the way she is facing forward instead of slightly turned, as the rest of the windsong sprites (bar one) are.

I've increased the dress size to aid the appearance of being turned, changed the orientation and complexity of the shoulder pads and added shadow.
harbingerV3.png
harbingerV3.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 8398 times
----

Okay, after testing her in game I finally see what Drakefriend meant about how she was smaller, she was too short for a Lv3, so I fixed that. Also I made the shadow better, and changed the hair a bit.
harbingerV4.png
harbingerV4.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Well, my problem was more that her upper body seems rather small compared to the Heretic.
You should also work on the arms: They seem very short.
I think you should really work on her pose, the heretic's seem far more...dynamic.
Overall, she needs more shading (in my opinion).
Attachments
Comparison.png
Comparison.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 8329 times
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
nayru25

Post by nayru25 »

I definitely know what you mean about the arms. They are my major grievance, as I can't seem to get them right. Anyway, here is my next version, with improved shading and longer arms. Her pose is still facing a little too much towards the audience, and not the bottom-left of the screen as most of the other windsong are.
harbingerV5.png
harbingerV5.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 8223 times
Another question, should I keep posting my (EoM related) units, or just make a separate thread?
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think you should keep them here!
The problem still persists that to me, the torso is far too slim: The waist is more narrow than the one of the Heretic, and the upper body is a lot more narrow then even the waist. Especially considering we are talking about a heavy melee fighter, she should have a bigger chest. Probably keep the wide robes form the lower part.
To better demonstrate my problem, here is your latest Harbinger compared to both the Heretic and the Oathkeeper, the third level of the other line of advancement.
Attachments
Left to right: Oathkeeper, Harbinger, Heretic
Left to right: Oathkeeper, Harbinger, Heretic
Comparison 2.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
nayru25

Post by nayru25 »

Okay, that is quite a valid point, I have tried to remedy it, but I may have not added enough. I also fixed up the shading to make it fit in with the shadow, and changed the sword shading to make it more in line with Heretic's.
harbingerV6.png
harbingerV6.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 8104 times
JW

Post by JW »

You guys are awesome. :)
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

The Sword's handle looks really hard to see and small, but other than that, it looks great.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

How bout him instead of the legionnaire?
Attachments
Too similar to the keeper?
Too similar to the keeper?
Legionaire1.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Because most Therian and Warg sprites need to be redone, I decided to try and improve some sprites myself, starting with the Therian Apprentice. I think it looks ok for a non-artist.
Attachments
apprentice.png
apprentice.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 7603 times
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Just dropping in to post something I've meant post here for a while. Originated as a experiment in rock texturing and palettes, and it sort of turned into a revamp of the stone golem. It's a little messy in some places, but maybe someone will find a use for it. :)
Attachments
golem_patch.png
golem_patch.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Amorphous wrote:Just dropping in to post something I've meant post here for a while. Originated as a experiment in rock texturing and palettes, and it sort of turned into a revamp of the stone golem. It's a little messy in some places, but maybe someone will find a use for it. :)
Sorry for the late reply.

I think the golem looks promising, but I'd like it to be a bit more ragged and fragmented, like it's an actual rock.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

No problem. :)

Sure. I did originally go with a more organic look to it, so I see what you're saying. There are also a lot of other issues I'm seeing with fresh eyes now, so revamping it is no problem.
Zaealix

Post by Zaealix »

Sooo this looks like the place for Era of Myths art-I was hoping personally to try my hand at animating some of the Windsong- in particular, the Windsong Gaurdian attack and defense animations-Any unit in particular that still needs animating?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Well, all of the windsong lack animation at the moment, so feel free to pick whichever one you want. Do not that the level 1 units ARE the most important ones, because they are used the most.