Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Aethaeryn »

would u listen when somebody tells you to jump of a bridge?
Brilliant logic and reasoning right there with your analogy. You're winner.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

What TSI is trying to say is that an animation of two attacks in the space where there should only be one attack (dealing only a singular ammount of damage). It could be said for other mainline units (the Deathblade comes to mind) what you are saying about the Warg. However this should be depicted in the unit statistics, rather than by an animation.

You could use both parts of the animation, one for all the even strikes, one for all the odd strikes, rather than playing both in a single strike.
raptoRus wrote:i dont know why but you try animate BfW realistic but! it isnt realistic and it will never be(maybe in the far future, i dont decide) (the villages are only one house which is taller as a mountain) so the most important thing in BtW is that the anims looks cool - this is fact
with a "step forward" the anims look better not because they move to the next hex, they look better because they move they whole body. the attack is more dynamic
i mean, lets say a human is 2 meters tall. a hex is 2 meter large. how want you move with one single step 2 meters ??? no chance - this is fact
I agree that it will never be realalistic, the scale of the art we use will never allow us to be so - exaggeration is a commonly used tool in spriting. The step forward is just that, after all hexes in Wesnoth are probably miles across. If our units used that scale we'd have about 2 or 3 pixels in hieght to work with.

The reason for the step is because it sets up a motion nicely, if the legs are static then it's very difficult to move the rest of the body.

Oh and I know you're English isn't very good and I can understand that, but could you please make an effort to use capital letters, it's good practice and makes it easier for everyone else to read. Thanks :)
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I was bored, so i made a bigger Marlgoyle.
Attachments
*floats threateningly*
*floats threateningly*
marlgoyle.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
marlgoyle.zip
base and standing frames
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

I'm sorry to be dropping in like this (was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd say 'hi'), but I have to say that the Moonblade's blade is... well... butt-ugly.

I don't want to flame or anything and I realize that my sprites aren't that good as well... but seriously?
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

This is an excellent example of how not to give crit.

Say things sensitively, say them carefully, and above all, SUGGEST HOW TO FIX things that you can see wrong.

Saying something is butt-ugly is flat-out flaming. Don't do that. Further instances will be deleted on sight, and further action may be taken.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yeah, nobody is getting paid to contribute this content, but that are just doing it for the fun of it and kindly sharing it with their fellow gamers. Insulting their efforts without even *trying* to frame it in a constructive manner is really unhelpful because it serves as a demotivator for the entire project, even if it does call attention to a real problem.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The moon-blade is supposed to be butt-ugly. Its a vicious, malicious, ugly...iscious werewolf thinger that will sooner bite your head off than look at you.
It isn't supposed to be lovable.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Gambit wrote:The moon-blade is supposed to be butt-ugly. Its a vicious, malicious, ugly...iscious werewolf thinger that will sooner bite your head off than look at you.
It isn't supposed to be lovable.
He was talking about the sword. More specifically, probably the animation of it.

On another note, no comments on the larger marlgoyle? I posted it like a month ago.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

If you insist :) The bending makes it look to have lekku rather than horns.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

The gargoyle thing has only a tad of gold, so it looks odd. Maybe give it gold wings?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Neoskel wrote:On another note, no comments on the larger marlgoyle? I posted it like a month ago.
It looks like it has a very big eye on a small head, I don't know if that is intentional. If not, maybe try adding more jaw, make the head extend a couple of pixels further to our left?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Zigg wrote:The gargoyle thing has only a tad of gold, so it looks odd. Maybe give it gold wings?
Perhaps not gold wings, but I agree that a touch more gold would work nicely. Perhaps gold claws, or a golden tail-spike or tail-club. This would also help further distinguish it from the lower level.

Overall though, I like it a lot.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Just noticed it's cute eyes! Maybe narrow and point them or make them red.
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

I think this is where I should put these...

I'm sort of a newbie at GIMP and got some practice in by tweaking sprites. I made the shadows transparent on a several Warg units, however, some of them I gave soft shadows - and then found the shadow tutorial. :o (I noticed it was written around this time last year, is that still the way shadows are done?), so I'm going to have to go back and re-do some of them later (doesn't take long, but I've been using my art time for other stuff lately).
yip!
yip!
wolf_cub.png (958 Bytes) Viewed 3590 times
arf
arf
wolf.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
grrr
grrr
dire_wolf.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
I also fiddled with a few therian units, gave the shaman teamcolor (let me know if you'd rather only some of the stuff changed).
therian-shaman.png
therian-shaman.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
And, spiffed up the shading on the falcon therian's dress
falcon-therian.png
falcon-therian.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

Sorry for two in a row, I seem to have run out of upload slots.

Also, I teamcolored the monk's robes for fun, or uh practice? You might not have any use for it, but hopefully it will help someone.
therian-monk.png
therian-monk.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
aura-monk.png
aura-monk.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
aura-master.png
aura-master.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 3588 times