The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jester

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Jester »

I think it's a good idea. Would just recolouring the current units be enough?
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think that the falcon and the gaurd, and possibly the new apprentice might be able to get away with just recloloring/minor tweaking.

Cats: in addition to recolouring they should probably lose the tail/ears. As a flavor touch I'd also make their clothes spotted like a jaguar

Monks: the robes of the monks don't fit, they'll need something else.

Serpents: The robe they wear just looks too heavy for the culture we are moving them towards.

In addition to these I think that minor adjustments to the others clothing would help.

EDIT: though I don't realy like the pose of the apprentice, so if someone would be willing to re willing to redo it that would be nice.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm giving my own try at art for the era (again). This was based of the shape-shifter, and is intended for it's replacement unit (for information see main thread). This turned out better than my previouse attempts at art (which probably tells you how well I tend to do), but I can see that it still needs some work. Advice or comments?

EDIT: for comparison
Attachments
shapeshifter.png
shapeshifter.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
shapeshifter copy.png
shapeshifter copy.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 5346 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Too much nose, he's a therian human not a um... thing with a really big nose...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

k I've fixed that, does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the sling, that is the part that bothers me the most.

This unit could be any human it's not nessisarily therian.
zharmad

Post by zharmad »

Just from visual impressions, I think the stone in the sling might be too big - the whole thing look like a handbag. :augh: Drop the stone a little lower (two pixels?) and maybe decrease its size. You can then make the straps look more convincing.

edit:
What you can also do (or instead), is to change the orientation of the sling w.r.t. our view. Shift the left strap so that it's behind both the hand and the stone. This way the straps will hang almost straight down. At the same time, move the other strap so that it's a little in front of both the stone& hands.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

It's a good edit, but you're going to have some problems in that the old Shapeshifter sprite you're editing from is... not in the current style. He's far too short, doesn't have any directional lighting to speak of, and has jet-black outlines (remember that each thing in the sprite should be outlined in a darker shade of its primary color).

For this reason, I'd suggest doing a "draw-over," which is what I did for the Protector a little while ago; get this guy into the correct proportions (just grab bits and drag them around until they're in vaguely the right place; it should end up crisscrossed with white lines xD), then start a new layer and draw him from scratch, using the old sprite as a guide. I also find it helpful to bring in a mainline sprite to compare against; the Footpad's probably a good choice here. That way you can see, for example, what color the outlines should be relative to his clothes, how his skin should be shaded, etc. (Sorry if that explanation's confusing; the process is simple, but it's kind of hard to describe in words -- if you want, I can do a little demo thing to show you what I mean)

Also, it looks like he's stabbing himself in the leg ^^;
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Today i saw my falcon shifter sprite in green. Wow.

It inspired me to do some diddly work on the cat therian.
Attachments
New base, did away with the 'catboy' stuff that crried over from melon's female cat when i first made him. Now he's got a harness, tc pants and a 'cat paw' bracer on one arm with belts on the other. Whew, i like this alot better.
New base, did away with the 'catboy' stuff that crried over from melon's female cat when i first made him. Now he's got a harness, tc pants and a 'cat paw' bracer on one arm with belts on the other. Whew, i like this alot better.
jaguar+male.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
In-between attacks frame.<br /><br />Did a bit of cleaning up, not much including getting rid of solid black lines. Ditto for the attack and move frames
In-between attacks frame.

Did a bit of cleaning up, not much including getting rid of solid black lines. Ditto for the attack and move frames
jaguar-defend1.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Attack frame.
Attack frame.
jaguar-attack.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Last edited by Neoskel on May 4th, 2008, 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

And the movement frame.

Oh, and that serpent therian attack frame i made a while back. I got it polished up. I'm so productive right now. :lol2:
Now to combo break and go to sleep...
Attachments
serpent-attack_sketch.png
serpent-attack_sketch.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
jaguar-moving.png
jaguar-moving.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've not been feeling well the past few days, and still am not so I probably won't get much of my own work in.

Neoskel: I'm going to put these in, but keep in mind I'm trying to get the new theme implimented, and those don't realy fit it (though they are much better than what we have).

By the way does anyone know why the the name of the cat was changed from jaugar? I would think that would be much more fitting.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Velensk wrote:By the way does anyone know why the the name of the cat was changed from jaugar? I would think that would be much more fitting.
Because Melon asked that it be so. IMO the Therian Shifters should get some slightly more interesting unit names than "Animal Therian" or "Therian Animal." I mean, just because he shapeshifts into animal x doesn't mean that's the only thing we can call him. Perhaps Therian Shifter, Therian Slider, and Therian Windrider for the Cat, Snake, and Falcon, respectively?
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Velensk wrote: By the way does anyone know why the the name of the cat was changed from jaugar? I would think that would be much more fitting.
It was because melon and others didn't want them to change species every level.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Consitering that they are humans naturaly it seems like they ought to upgrade species. On the other hand the other names arn't a bad idea either.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I made you a cleaner Rabid Wolf for the Warg (no shadow though).

Also, the Falcon Therian has been using the wrong fly/attack frame for a long time. You used the one meant for the level 2, so the clothes and hairband thingy don't match the base frame. Also the tc on the wings is really unnecessary. So i'm attaching melon's original lvl 1 sprite.

Also, please please put all the Therian art in one folder instead of randomly placing them in either the "shifters" folder or the "therians" folder. It's really annoying.
Attachments
derived straight from the one Jester made.
derived straight from the one Jester made.
Rabid Wolf.PNG (3.88 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Falcon-Shifter.png
Falcon-Shifter.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Wait a moment, these cat things... were they supposed to be for the lvl 2 or the lvl 1?

EDIT: By the way, I've cleaned up the arrangment for the Therian art, and included the rabid_wolf, and the snake attack.