Knights' Era - Art trials

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dontano

Knights' Era - Art trials

Post by dontano »

I made some sprites for my incoming Knights' Era. They're few for now, but I wanted to post them the same to see your opinion. Here's the zip containing 5 images (Javelineer, Little Vanguard, Soldier [stance, defense frame and attack]). If you want to know more about my era-on-work check my topic in the Faction/Era contribution section.
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Can't see the file. Could you repost it?
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

????
Where is it?
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
dontano

Post by dontano »

Oooops... here it is.
Attachments
some-images.zip
(19.23 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's a good start, but you could do with better outlining and much cleaner shading. Also (this one's big) you should pay close attention to this wiki page about how to animate units. The one you've done so far is very static. Pay particular attention to the section about only moving the active element.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Most people (including me) won't bother to check out your images if you post them in a .zip. You need to upload the files themselves as .pngs. Unless you don't want much feedback, of course.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Your art is off to a pretty good start. It's a more dynamic style than the Wesnoth standard (the Wesnoth rule is that units should look like they could hold that position for hours - 'cos they are!) but that's fine for a UMC. The Vanguard looks a bit big, but if he's a L3, that's probably okay. Compare him to the size of similar units from the Loyalists faction.

Even though I looked, I second what Turin said re: posting the actual .PNGs. It's a lot more accessible for people to see and comment on.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Ok, I'll try to do my best. I putted a temporarily "magenta" (that it doesn't work for now) on my units and, of course, I'll eventually put the effective one. Lol, they look like the empowered version of Loyalists ;) I'm also starting to create more anim. frames to the soldier (2 attacks for ex.) to make the animation less 'static' (I readed the Art tutorial: thx Shadow Master). Let's see how they work...
dontano

Post by dontano »

Here's the upgraded version of soldier's attacks. I used just 2 well-placed frames (-150 to 150 and 150 to 300) and they seems to work good in my opinion. I'm starting to see a bright future in the Kingdom of Wescopia!
I also modified the Little Vanguard (and, irrevenant, is a lv2 anyway not a lv3) in sizes and I added an attack frame plus the defense animation. As for the Javelineer, I erased the javelin he was holding because I think it's more suggestive with a single bow.
Here are all the little vanguard files with the javelineer, and the soldier-attack2 png.
dontano

Post by dontano »

gg
Attachments
knightjavelineer.png
knightjavelineer.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
littlevanguard.png
littlevanguard.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
littlevanguard-attack.png
littlevanguard-attack.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
littlevanguard-defend.png
littlevanguard-defend.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
soldier-attack2.png
soldier-attack2.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3260 times