Artwork for Free Goblins Faction.

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

Ah, i didnt realize they were bespectacled.... Anyway, i would go with the original drawing of the ponderer, because the new one looks like he has sunglasses. but either make the outer corner edges darker, or more transparent, and make the central bridge more apparent.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:The turquoise of the hunter's vest seems a little bright to me, and...is the rest of his clothing all TC'd?
I was going for this kind of a feel (I really should dig up reference pics beforehand).

I'm going for a bright look, but I've desaturated the colour some now.

The pants are T-Colour but the vest isn't. I haven't tested yet, but the contrast should be fine when the magenta is replaced by the appropriate Team colour.
thespaceinvader wrote:Also, his left ear looks like it's coming out somewhere around his temple. With his head in that position, we should be able to see much less of his ear, if any at all. For the spook, maybe having the clothing one colour and the tattoos TC'd would look cool =D
I tried reducing his left ear, but then I decided to go the other way - make the nearer ear larger. It makes sense that the goblins with the best hearing would be well suited to hunting, and I've been trying to visually distinguish the units more.

I'm actually rather happy with the Spook's face the way it is. The darts and belt are already T-Colour and that should be enough.
thespaceinvader wrote:I like the designs =)
Thanks. :)
BloodIssyl wrote:Ah, i didnt realize they were bespectacled.... Anyway, i would go with the original drawing of the ponderer, because the new one looks like he has sunglasses. but either make the outer corner edges darker, or more transparent, and make the central bridge more apparent.
I originally tried making the outer corner edges and central bridge black, and they still don't stand out significantly. The original Ponderer seems a step backward after this one, but I tried to find some middle ground. Is this better?

P.S. As a bonus, the Goblin Trapper's eponymous trap.

P.P.S. ...aaand the Trapper himself.

[EDIT] Boot tweakage on the Trapper as suggested.

[EDIT2] T-Coloured the Trap. A little silly, but if you have two Free Goblin factions facing off you need to know whose is whose...
Attachments
trapper.png
trapper.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
trap-grass2.png
trap-grass2.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
trap2.png
trap2.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Hunter1.5.3.png
Hunter1.5.3.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
ponderer4.png
ponderer4.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
Last edited by irrevenant on September 26th, 2007, 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

New versions are all improvements =)

The trapper looks a little poorly defined, particularly around the feet - maybe some darker pixels at the top of the boots would help. The trap, particularly looks wicked, and the ponderer's glasses look much more glasses-like than they did before. The Hunter's right ear could do with outlining, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

New (and renamed) SkyCushion. I haven't yet worked out a way to integrate T-Colour that I'm happy with...

P.S. I've only used a very slightly scaled down version of the unit this time - it's worked a treat, IMO!
Attachments
skycushion.png
skycushion.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

...doesn't it need a fire somewhere? Maybe you could TC that lol.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:...doesn't it need a fire somewhere?
Yes it does, and mr_svperstar's version had one, but I didn't have room to include it.

I'm sorely tempted to just seal the hole and make it a gas balloon.

Trivia fact: Sulphuric acid (which the Free Goblin faction use) + iron produces hydrogen...

[EDIT] Tweakified SkyCushion - now it's a gas balloon rather than a hot air one...

[EDIT2] Level 2 SkyPillow, with and without terrain. Not 100% happy with it, but it'll do for now...

[EDIT3] Goblin-free Guard Tower (the Goblins can pop up in the attack frame if necessary).
Attachments
Guard Tower.png
Guard Tower.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
The L2 "Skypillow"
The L2 "Skypillow"
skypillow.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
The L2 "Skypillow" over grass terrain.
The L2 "Skypillow" over grass terrain.
skypillow-over grass.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
The L1 unit - now a gas balloon rather than a hot air one 'cos I couldn't fit a burner in the basket...
The L1 unit - now a gas balloon rather than a hot air one 'cos I couldn't fit a burner in the basket...
skycushion2.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Aaaand the Battle Skoller. Another "drawn from scratch except for the head" unit. Not 100% happy with it. I'm particularly not happy about where the legs join the body. Man the lotus position is hard to draw. :?

Yes, he's so cool that he can either fight from seated position or leap fluidly upright in time to block an enemy blow...

[EDIT] With a couple of day's distance, the Battle Skoller just looks... wrong. I'm working on it...

[EDIT2] Ugh. After many many attempts to make sitting cross-legged look good, I give up. Battle Scholar is standing now, and is unarmed.

[EDIT3] And the Master Huntsman (now called the PreyRunner).

P.S. That's [EDIT]three[/EDIT] complete unit lines done now - The Forester line, the Staffman line and the hunter line. The end is in sight, yay! (Of course, then I have to code them all. And start on the attack animations :shock: ).
Attachments
Master Huntsman.png
Master Huntsman.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 3962 times
Battle Skoller4.png
Battle Skoller4.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Battle Skoller2.png
Battle Skoller2.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I keep getting to a point where I'm vaguely dissatisfied, but can't figure out what to change to make it better.

The Apprentice Healer (and yes, he's carrying his medicines around in a bucket - they're nothing if not pragmatic, the Free Goblins...)

[EDIT] +Healer.

[EDIT] +Theraper & Persuader.

And that's all the base frames. I'll almost certainly improve on them later, but I can move onto coding now...
Attachments
Persuader.png
Persuader.png (1.01 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Theraper.png
Theraper.png (1.07 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Healer.png
Healer.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Apprentice Healer.png
Apprentice Healer.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The theraper line looks good (although a name that can't be misread as 'the raper' might be better... not sure what, though) but they could do with a little shading, particularly on the vests. however the healer line lacks definition, and the outline of the bucket arm of the apprentice seems a bit broken. Plus, the Healer looks less powerful than the apprentice - s/he loses gear and shrinks.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:The theraper line looks good (although a name that can't be misread as 'the raper' might be better... not sure what, though)
I'm not sure what, either. :?: I'm open to suggestions. I could use "Therapiser" in a pinch, but that's a considerably more awkward pronunciation...
thespaceinvader wrote:but they could do with a little shading, particularly on the vests.
I lots of trouble shading the white coat in particular - I couldn't make it come out decent. I'll give it another go once I've got a little distance from it.
thespaceinvader wrote:however the healer line lacks definition, and the outline of the bucket arm of the apprentice seems a bit broken.
True. I guess I was so eager to start WMLing (which I have, yay!) that I rushed the last couple of units. I'll fix it up.
thespaceinvader wrote:Plus, the Healer looks less powerful than the apprentice - s/he loses gear and shrinks.
He's the same height as the other guy. Maybe he looks shorter because he has a longer robe. He also shifted from using a bucket to a backpack. I'll have a think about how to make him more impressive looking.

Thanks.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

'Eadshrinker?

No worries.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

irrevenant wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:The theraper line looks good (although a name that can't be misread as 'the raper' might be better... not sure what, though)
I'm not sure what, either. :?: I'm open to suggestions. I could use "Therapiser" in a pinch, but that's a considerably more awkward pronunciation...
In my german-english dictionary I just found "therapist." Or is this too "professional" for the Free Goblins?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'd say probably too professional.

And actually has precisely the same problem, but it's so common people often don't realise it o_O
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

pauxlo wrote:In my german-english dictionary I just found "therapist." Or is this too "professional" for the Free Goblins?
Yeah, too "professional" I'm afraid. That's the standard English term for the role. The term the Free Goblins use should be "mangled" because:
(a) They're inventing a vocabulary from scratch (they call a balloon a "sky cushion" for similar reasons).
(b) They're inventive, but poorly educated.
(c) They're intended to be somewhat comical (as well as endearing, as well as admirable).
tsr

Post by tsr »

Just want to give some encouragement, keep up the good work :D

I'm really waiting for this to get playable.

/tsr