Unit sprites for Invasion from the Unknown/After the Storm

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The stuff and overall feeling is nice I would still try to get rid of the boots or change them to something tighter fitting.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

So, this is my version of the naked feet, just like what I imagined in my... *dreams*. Duh.

Perhaps you can tell me why they do suck and how to improve them? Also, attached an in-game screenshot.
Attachments
Elynia - naked feet
Elynia - naked feet
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
The Bunch - my campaign, scenario 1 (no only two units, the hero and sorceress, were coded - the rest were generated in debug mode)
The Bunch - my campaign, scenario 1 (no only two units, the hero and sorceress, were coded - the rest were generated in debug mode)
bunch.png (250.58 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

knees seem to be too low, and legs should be thinner (i mean... compare to the stomach thinness... if shes anorectic like the default elvish shyde, she must have anorectic legs too).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Syntax_Error wrote:knees seem to be too low, and legs should be thinner (i mean... compare to the stomach thinness... if shes anorectic like the default elvish shyde, she must have anorectic legs too).
Not a very helpful comment, but my eyes might be lying: the L3 Shyde's belly is thin, but her legs don't indicate she is anorectic, actually. It might just be me, of course.

But I agree about the knees, I have to fix them. I guess frankensteining L3 Enchantress's right leg just didn't do it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The trick lies in the position of the legs of the original the exotic stance make the unit looking more intersting. I would try to pull the same stunt make somethin different from the "standing on two legs".
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Shadow wrote:The trick lies in the position of the legs of the original the exotic stance make the unit looking more intersting. I would try to pull the same stunt make somethin different from the "standing on two legs".
Like this?

Interestingly, I made this edit comparing to L4 Great Mage's standing frame (female, SVN), and realized how short this Level 4 Shyde - demigoddess was in comparison, so I did some biggerism updates, apart from moving the legs around.

As nobody seems to be getting the general idea of what this unit is supposed to be, I'm polishing the WML of my campaign to prepare it for publishing in the campaign server (1.3.x), by the way.
Attachments
Elynia - biggerism updates and legs
Elynia - biggerism updates and legs
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Her legs look like they're not attached to her hip. i think maybe they could do with hanging more vertically down - at the moment they go backwards - or possibly do with being moved to the left a pixel or two.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Changed various details on her legs. Not sure if it's making a difference or not. Also, accidental biggerism update.
Attachments
shyde-arcanemaster.png
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 6181 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I made her near foot shapelier. Dunno if it's any use if you're going to redo the legs but here you go...
Attachments
shyde_arcanemaster_427.png
shyde_arcanemaster_427.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:I made her near foot shapelier. Dunno if it's any use if you're going to redo the legs but here you go...
Thanks. They look nice. The problem with my edit's feet is that I made them based on Elvish Druid's feet because I didn't have any good ideas to draw from scratch. I wonder then, why Druid's feet are so... um... boney... ugly.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Used irrevenant's edit, except that I added a little outline where her toes' edges are supposed to be, should not be noticeable with the shadow anyway. Also, shifted both legs one pixel right, and reshaded accordingly. Added one pixel of flesh in her "dress".

EDIT: uploaded the source GIMP xcf file for the curious.
EDIT2: 68.8 KB of Photoshop layered file here.
Attachments
shyde-arcanemaster.xcf.zip
Source "code". Layered GIMP .xcf file.
(25.84 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
shyde-arcanemaster.png
shyde-arcanemaster.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Early work in progress.
Attachments
shadowmaster.png
shadowmaster.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Guax

Post by Guax »

Legs looks really small o.o
I've arrived \o.o/
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

I don't really know what that is, but keep at it. And yeah, the legs look really small. Also, remember what was said in my topic - loads of grey can be difficult. And check out the hood (if that is one)

BTW, the tux unit (:lol:) should probably look more like a normal sprite.

And if you want Elynia to look more powerful, I would really suggest boots. Maybe ones that cover about half of the lower leg. I'm not so sure about that though. She really looks good enough as is.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Don't even ask why I put that Tux unit there. Really. I don't know. :P

About Elynia: well, for me its current status is what I wanted from the beginning, I finally got her looking good, so I guess I won't modify her sprite until I get a better idea or a portrait to start as base.

About the gray unit: heh, it's Shadow Master 2.0. I still have to shade and recolor it, and reshape his lower body. It's just that it's my first attempt to draw a sprite a la Shadow/wayfarer. I also have to work on giving him a less-human appearance.