Portrait

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
RokStar

Portrait

Post by RokStar »

I made a very ugly portrait sketch by copyng a picture taken on a live rpg day.

Check out if someone can use it to re-copy the image better than me (i don't have any skill in drawing free hand).
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Is this work copyrighted in any way? If so this is useless for Wesnoth
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Mathijs wrote:Is this work copyrighted in any way?
:roll:
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

AFAIK a live rpg is role playing game in RL, so if he taken a picture...... is under rpg-ish's license. :shock:
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

It was a picture, i change little of the face traits, if someone is able to put a new face on the body i think that there shouldn't be problems of copyright, as the dress doesn't seems to be hand-made by the guy wearing it.
Also, the portrait i posted is a mirror image of the original pose.
Anyway, i will ask the author of picture if there are problems of any type by copying the picture and colouring it, removing the real face.
I'll inform you asap.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

They answer me.
They would be happy to grant us the right to reproduce their pictures like drawing, but they ask me if by doing that they must make their picture GPL, because they don't want to give permission to other people, from different live rpg faction to display theyr picture.
It sound hard to understand but is very easy:
- they would be happy to grant to our artist the ability of making portrait from the pictures (without faces);
- they don't want to give permission to other live rpg sites the right to display on different sites theyr pictures;
- they want to know if GPL goes back to the real picture or if it is limited to the portrait drawings.

I'd like to know the GPL effect on their picture. Then i'll post the addres where picture are located, if both part, wesnoth and the live rpg group, reach theyr objectives.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you just take the photos as models and use them to draw lineart and whatnot without reproducing the photos then there's no problem. If you're actually trying to reproduce the original photos then there might be a problem, but I don't see why you'd want to do that in the first place.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'd like to know the GPL effect on their picture.
The drawing is a derived work of the photograph, and therefore putting it under GPL doesn't affect the copyright of the original work in any way.

It's a good pose and a cool looking outfit, so it most likely would have potential for a hero portrait (not of standard unit).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

hehe, sorry for disturbing this bee nest :oops:
I didn't really get this was a real live picture, but if I would have, I might have posted it just as well.

Anyway, as a means of reconciliation, I've cleaned the smudges a bit.

Mat
Attachments
untitled_1_662.jpg
untitled_1_662.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Ok, i talk with them again, and they want to became a videogame!
They only would like to appear on credits and i think it shouldn't be a problem to add theyr group to the credits, like a special thanks or supporters.
(i'm in the credits too... for my italian translation).

Let me know if it is fine to add them on credits, and i'll put the link to their photo gallery, and let the artists choose the right subjects to use to make portraits.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

RokStar wrote:Let me know if it is fine to add them on credits
Of course it's fine. If you're talking of mainline credits though, then obviously we wouldn't add credit for people before they've actually contributed something tangible to the game.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

I think they should be fine in "Other contributors" list.
Anyway, it depends on how massive would result they contributions of picture with the art work... if it will result a huge advantage they could be putted under "Artist - moderate contributors", as the won't phisically draw units or portrait.
Could this be ok?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

What's meant is rather - they can go into credits once something based upon their work actually made it into mainline. As long as nothing got used it makes little sense and afterwards it would be very impolite not to add everyone who contributed something that isn't trivial.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

We have a pretty low bar to become a contributor, but it does involve an actual contribution to mainline.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Ok, so, now that all is set, i post the link to the pictures. It would be nice to put all the art coming from these pictures on a single thread to allow the guys to see how the work goes on.

http://www.grv.it/pagine/fotogallery.htm

Some are really amazing, at least on my humble opinion :)