New Units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
THAWonderland

New Units

Post by THAWonderland »

I´m currently creating some new units, especially for all the branches where a level 3 unit is missing.
The following are finished (Graphics+Unit file):

-Saurian Witchdoctor (upgrade of Saurian Soothsayer)

-Gryphon Knight (upgrade of Gryphon Master)

-Orcish Deathbringer (upgrade of Orcish Slayer, Graphics taken from
Under the Burning Sun)

Unfortunately I can´t attach the Graphics right now, I´ll have to do this later...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Uh...ok!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Be aware that the factions have been finely balanced over time. When a given unit line stops at level 2 (or 1!) it's generally for balance reasons.

The changes you propose will almost certainly not be accepted into mainstream Wesnoth.

However, you could always use them in a custom era/faction or campaign.

And people are always crying out for quality art - if you came up with such sprites odds are good they'd be used in some capacity.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

irrevenant wrote:Be aware that the factions have been finely balanced over time. When a given unit line stops at level 2 (or 1!) it's generally for balance reasons.
Not necessarily balance, it can be for various reasons :
- Balance (i'm thinking of unit like the Lancer, Goblin Pillager or the Gryphon riders)
- Background (outlaws, goblins on foot)
- Nobody made the graphics/stats yet

Usually level 3+ aren't seen much in MP games, so enabling an extra level 3 advancement won't change the balance that much.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
THAWonderland

Post by THAWonderland »

Well, I really won´t mind my units not being included in the main game. I´m also creating a campaign where they will be availiable.

Here are the units that are finished.
Upper row: Dwarvish Axeman (Level 0, adapted from Under the Burning Sun), Saurian Warlock (level 3), Saurian Witchdoctor (level 3)
Lower row: Dwarvish Rager (level 3), Stormrider (level 3), Gryphon Knight (level 3)

Not included is the Orcish Deathbringer, because the graphics are taken from Under the Burning Sun.
Attachments
NewUnits.png
NewUnits.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

At least you shouldn't excessively darken them as you've done. Maybe it was just a technical glitch with your graphics program, though. Here's a comparison with the source units to illustrate the point:
Attachments
excessive-darkening.png
excessive-darkening.png (29.17 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
THAWonderland

Post by THAWonderland »

It seems to be some software problem, my original images aren´t so dark. One more try:
Attachments
NewUnits2.png
NewUnits2.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

The file has set gamma to some 0.27, so there may be the problem. I attach a version where this is changed to 0.45, which is a value I found in a few files that display normally for me, and a version with gama and chromacities totally stripped.
Attachments
gamma 0.45455
gamma 0.45455
newunits_gamma.45.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
no extra chunks
no extra chunks
newunits_plain.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 5046 times
THAWonderland

Post by THAWonderland »

Cool, thanks!

Here are the stats for the units:

Dwarvish Axeman:
Hits 26, Moves 4, Axe 7-2, cost 10
Dwarvish Rager:
Hits 64, Moves 6, Axe 10-4 berserk, cost 54
Gryphon Knight:
Hits 60, Moves 9, Claws 17-2 charge, cost 55
Stormrider:
Hits 62, Moves 10, Lance 15-3 charge, cost 58
Saurian Warlock:
Hits 40, Moves 6, Staff 7-2, Magic 10-4, cost 60, Heal, Teleport
Saurian Witchdoctor:
Hits 40, Moves 6, Staff 7-2, Magic 8-4, cost 55, Cure
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

Hm. For one, the Gryphon Knight violates RIPLIB - That is, you didn't have Charge before, and now you do. That will make the unit weaker in certain situations.

Secondly, I mean no disrespect, but it seems the units are for the most part the same but with strange hats and backstage props.
THAWonderland

Post by THAWonderland »

:lol: You´re right, that´s a nice description of how I´m doing my graphics (I did the same for CIV3 and Age of Wonders). I´m no "Graphics Wizard", just good in editing and combining existing pictures.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

Raemon wrote:Secondly, I mean no disrespect, but it seems the units are for the most part the same but with strange hats and backstage props.
They are advencement not new units... so they dont need to be very different
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

Even so, I think I've heard that different poses, especially for the higher-leveled units, are desirable. Maybe I was wrong, though.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Those gryphons are indeed a little hard to distinguish, but since most of the sprite is taken by the dwarf, it must be kind of hard to make a lot of changes.
My idea would be to give the gryphon some kind of armour, or see the dwarf holding a weapon of some sorts.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I forgot to say: It was never intended that all Wesnoth lines would go to level 3 or 4. This is for 'flavour' reasons as well as balance.