First try: a (vaguely) steampunk type unit

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TL

First try: a (vaguely) steampunk type unit

Post by TL »

I say "vaguely" because, while this guy is intended to go in a mainly steampunk-oriented set of units, it's not quite typical steampunk tech. This guy would probably be an upper-level unit; its lower-level counterpart would need a much more primitive, rickety-looking plane.

Anyhow, I figured I should probably stop and ask for comments before I commit to trying to seriously animate anything here, to reduce the likelihood of having to go back and make changes over several frames. It's supposed to look a bit cartoony, so realism isn't much of a factor here (yes, I realize the plane depicted would be in reality about as flyable as your average brick).

I'm aware that the perspective is a bit off on some of the individual components but I'm not quite sure exactly how to fix it, so if anyone has specific comments on what needs to be tweaked it would be very helpful.
Attachments
ace.png
ace.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Perspective is fine as far as I can tell, but the wings are different shapes, and the shadow's off to one side. looks good.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

and the shadow's off to one side
That happens quite often to planes, in the real world, at least.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Yes and it's due to where the light comes from, and it has to be consistent with all the other artworks to prevent the look of wind blowing two ways. The shadows of other objects are usually to the left side from what i remember.
TL

Post by TL »

Putting the shadow off-center was partly to help give the illusion of height. It does look rather silly in game, though, so I fixed it up a bit. The shadow still isn't quite right but I figure that can wait until I have the rest of the details of the plane finalized (still don't have the weapons on, for example). On that note I did tweak the wing some; that was kind of what I was getting at when I mentioned the perspective being off.

Here's another unit, intended as a lower-level unit in the same line, with a bit more of a whimsical element to it. This one still needs a bit more work, particularly the pilot himself--he's supposed to be cradling a gun in his right arm but it's kind of hard to make out unless you look close. Not thrilled with the engine in back either but it's not quite so bad.
Attachments
flier.png
flier.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
ace.png
ace.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Bander

Post by Bander »

These are great, particularly the Ace. My mom made these little sculpy elves in airplanes that we used to put on the Christmas Tree and Ace looks almost exactly the same except with no pointy ears. Keep it up and make a cute little steampunk tank while you're at it.

EDIT: what's that little 'x' on it's left wing?