Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Post by JW »

Wow okay. That fiend is awesome.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

JW wrote:Wow okay. That fiend is awesome.
Agreed. It's almost a little too evil for a L1 - perhaps it should be given a longer whip and made into the L2?

I'd suggest creating a new variant with a less dynamic pose and less "spiky" shoulderguard to be the L1. Use the current length of whip for it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Any chance that the color scheme on that fiend could be given to the demons as well? It looks a lot cooler and more sinister, in my opinion. The bright red just looks cartoony.
dwarf dude

Post by dwarf dude »

Absolutely amazing :D

The art is fantastic, but as a line for the jinn, here is a paraphrased quote from a book by Jonathan Stroud, a writer of fantasy:

In ascending order of power in the world of demons it goes- imps, foliots, djinni, afrits and marids.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents, and hope it helps.
Dont read this. Seriously. Stop it! Im warning you! Thats it, your going to be asassinated by 42 Spanish fighting midgets with hacksaws!
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Thanks for the inputs.

On Stilgar's suggestion, while I agree about the bright red look more cartoonish, I really don't want to give both blade demon line and the fiend line the same color... Unlike humans who cover their body with clothing and armor demons show a lot of their skin, and the blade demons and fiends my intended role for them are the make up of the bulk of the army... So that could be a lot of the same colors on the board. My other concern is the level of contrast compared to other units, which isn't very apparent when the unit is posted by itself.
Nevertheless, I twicked the skin for demon towards darker in a sort of different direction as fiends, see if this works any better.
old version for reference Image

@dwarfdude: aye, and the unit tree is here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14659
djinni, also can be spelt jinn, is lvl 2; afrits, also can be spelt ifrit, is lvl 3; Marids is not in the unit line but i mean them to be a special unit to be achieved when a jinn obtains a special item. Ifrits are fire aligned, and marids are water aligned according to wiki so I can't upgrade Ifrits into marids without some special explaination. I haven't heard about foliot before, I can use them to replace the name of "magical servants", you are sure these are genie creatures?

And on Sangel's suggestion, I have a version of lvl2 on paper, its pose is slightly more dynamic, so lvl1's pose should be fine. I made the spikes into stubs and lvl2'll have the spikes. Lvl 2 also have an extra weapon so it won't be a problem distinguishing the two. Lvl4 will be vastly different since the fiends gain wings and bent horns (described in the faction forum thread).

Last but not least these are the witches, they turn into female demons and gorgons.
Attachments
demon.png
demon.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
fiend.png
fiend.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
witch.png
witch.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
JW

Post by JW »

That Fiend is just so cool. And the witch is cool too.

Ah, I just figured out why the Fiend is so great: it's his dynamic stance combined with dramatic lighting effects.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

JW wrote:That Fiend is just so cool. And the witch is cool too.

Ah, I just figured out why the Fiend is so great: it's his dynamic stance combined with dramatic lighting effects.
Idd, you're good at this battlestar, super sprites :D The demon looks a bit better, even though I personally liked him as much before the changes. It's good as it is imo
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

demon nudity, rated R, not for kids 18 or younger, or the weak minded :twisted:
Attachments
hell fiend.png
hell fiend.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

This is the real one. I lied about it having an extra weapon, I think i'll have it on lvl 3 instead.
Attachments
hell fiend.png
hell fiend.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

asdf
Attachments
gorgon.png
gorgon.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 6363 times
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

battlestar wrote:Gorgon
This one isn't as good as usual - I'm afraid it's too small and cluttered. While the individual components are fine when examined closely, from afar they combine together with each other and the negative space of the unit to make a mess.

I'd advise making the unit a bit bigger - taller body, longer tail, etc - but keeping the head/wings roughly the same size. Also, you might want to reconsider the white on her breasts and belly - perhaps a brighter shade of green instead?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JW

Post by JW »

Sangel wrote:
battlestar wrote:Gorgon
This one isn't as good as usual - I'm afraid it's too small and cluttered. While the individual components are fine when examined closely, from afar they combine together with each other and the negative space of the unit to make a mess.

I'd advise making the unit a bit bigger - taller body, longer tail, etc - but keeping the head/wings roughly the same size. Also, you might want to reconsider the white on her breasts and belly - perhaps a brighter shade of green instead?
The only complaint I have is that she might be too small. I must respectfully disagree with Sangel about it looking too cluttered. I think it looks good.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Cluttered as in confused, disorderly and jumbo? head or coloring?

I was at school and gorgon's coloring on that computer was so bright it almost burnt my eyes off. Then I got home and it doesn't look very bright on my own computer. What's it looking like for you guys?
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

revised
Attachments
gorgon.png
gorgon.png (4.14 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

If those are wings on the back of the Gorgon they appear to be mounted a bit high (ie. higher than her shoulders).

[EDIT]
battlestar wrote:I was at school and gorgon's coloring on that computer was so bright it almost burnt my eyes off. Then I got home and it doesn't look very bright on my own computer. What's it looking like for you guys?
The original one looked too bright to me too. The new one is much better.
Last edited by irrevenant on March 10th, 2007, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.